Budget 41-50k Want a HOME PC-NEEDS to provide a lag free MULTI-TABBED browsing/Youtube experience!!

delhiboy1

Disciple
Q: What is your budget?
<20K is ideal.

MAX 25K(including GFX card)

Q: What is your existing hardware configuration (component name - component brand and model)

Only gripe with my current PC is that it is a bit slow, lags in 720P rips, Youtube videos (this looks like a software/driver issue; havent really bothered to troubleshoot)

Athlon A64 3200+ Venice
Gigabyte Geforce 6150 chipset, S939 board
2GB DDR400
80 GB SATA HITACHI, 160GB IDE Seagate
HIS AMD 5450 1GB GFX CARD
DVD-RW
GIGABYTE 430 or is it 460W? PSU, generic Case
32" LCD as monitor
Logitech mouse

Q: Which hardware will you be keeping (component name - component brand and model)
Monitor, DVD-RW, mouse. GFX & PSU optional.

Q: Which hardware component are you looking to buy (component name). If you have already decided on a configuration then please mention the (component brand and model) as well, this will help us in fine tuning your requirement.

Fast CPU is a requirement, graphics secondary (NEEDS to provide a lag free multiple tabbed Youtube experience though).

[CPU+Mobo+RAM+HDD+Case must required. +/- Gfx] ; +/-PSU (if required)

Q: Is this going to be your final configuration or you would be adding/upgrading a component in near future. If yes then please mention when and which component:

would not like to , unless youtube videos turn 4K !.

Q: Where will you buy this hardware? (Online/City/TE Dealer)
Nehru place

Q: Would you consider buying a second hand hardware from the TE market
No

Q: What is your intended use for this PC/hardware
Surfing (multiple tabs), general multitasking, Youtube SD/HD content, Watching bluray rips,

Q: Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them and the reason for your preference/dislike.
Would like to go for a Intel CPU & Mobo combo this time

Q: If you will be playing games then which type of games will you be playing?
NO gaming

Q: What is your preferred monitor resolution for gaming and normal usage
1366x768

Q: Are you looking to overclock?
No

Q: Which operating system do you intend to use with this configuration?
Win 7 Pro

THANKS in advance !!!!

Just try to see whether using Media Player Classic with DXVA enabled makes a differance.

Also, could you mention whether your GPU is a PCIe OR AGP OR PCI?

its a PCIe card. The current setup is not bad, but not silk smooth/lag free. MPC_HC with DXVA is enabled..
Any suggestion on the config? TIA!

@delhiboy1 here is what I suggest and a request from my end, please confirm which SMPS do you have?

Intel Core i3 3220 ~6500/-
GIGABYTE-B75-D3H ~4500/- (from flipkart.com)
Corsair Vengeance 4GB x2 1600MHz RAM ~3000/-
For now keep the 80GB SATA drive handy + 160GB PATA converted into external drive (and buy a 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 1TB ~4000/- if you wish to augment your storage)
Is your DVD drive SATA based OR PATA based, if it is the latter swap it for a HP / ASUS (boxed) optical drive ~1100/-
Hold onto your HD5450 as you are not gaming
Cooler Master GX450W ~3500/- (in-case your SMPS is not the GIGABYTE Superb 460W)
Cooler Master eLite 311 Plus ~2500/-
APC BR600VA-IN ~2000/- (backup in-case of power cut)
[rest components you already have]

Hope this helps and wishing all on this thread a Happy, Prosperous and Healthy New Year. Cheers!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you Alpha17 !!

1.is the i3 3225 available yet? and will it have better gfx than the HD5450 that I currently have?
2.Which mobo brand has the longest warranty currently?
3.I think 4GB is gonna be enough for me. Or is there a dual channel bandwidth benefit?
4. My experience with Seagate HDDs has been bad. I am gonna go for a Hitachi or a WD Black. What would you suggest of the two? Which HDD has the longest warranty? does WD Black come with 5 year ?
5. Dont have much use for a DVD-RW , so it will remain as it is.
6. It is the Giga Superb 460W.
7. I need a better looking cabinet. What about those that lie flat/HTPC cabinets? what are they called excatly.. cant recall now...

Thank you Alpha17 !!

1.is the i3 3225 available yet? and will it have better gfx than the HD5450 that I currently have?
2.Which mobo brand has the longest warranty currently?
3.I think 4GB is gonna be enough for me. Or is there a dual channel bandwidth benefit?
4. My experience with Seagate HDDs has been bad. I am gonna go for a Hitachi or a WD Black. What would you suggest of the two? Which HDD has the longest warranty? does WD Black come with 5 year ?
5. Dont have much use for a DVD-RW , so it will remain as it is.
6. It is the Giga Superb 460W.
7. I need a better looking cabinet. What about those that lie flat/HTPC cabinets? what are they called excatly.. cant recall now...

Here are your answers @delhiboy1 --
  • As far as I know and am informed it is not available in Delhi OR online. But you can o to Nehru Place and seek it and share your findings with us. The HD2500 / HD4000 iGP on the processor will perform equal to the graphics card you have already.
  • Most major brands offer 3 years Limited Warranty on their products.
  • Dual-channel benefit and the price of RAM is cheapest right now.
  • Hitachi hard-drives has been bought over by Western Digital and I consider the Western Digital Black edition over-priced. If you are adamant on getting a drive from them get the Blue edition drive (not Green's and not Black's).
  • But if it is a PATA drive the motherboard does not support it.
  • Okay, how old and does it have warranty left on it?
  • HTPC cabinets, flats can lead to over-heating issues not counting the limited hard-drive space you will have. If you want them, look at the following options --
    [1] Cooler Master eLite 361 ~2800/-
    [2] ACHT T Acrylic HTPC Transparent

Hope this helps, Cheers!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you again Alpha17 for these valuable inputs !

1.what is the difference between the 3220 and the 3225? apart from the IGP..
Should I wait for the 3225 to arrive (just for the better CPU performance?)

2. INR 6-8K and 8-10K category , which would be the best CPU performance - in both Intel & AMD. Seems like the FX-6100 is a great contender to the i3 3220?

3. Is TOSHIBA offering 5 year warranty on their HDD? see here: http://www.costtocost.in/list/pricelist.pdf

4. Giga PSU is about 2 years old, i think.. Will go for a tower case as per your suggestion !

Just to repeat again (with regards to the CPU performance): this system is going to be used for multi-browsing and multi-tabbed youtube video watching. 80% of the time.
and the rest of the time it will be downloading t$rrents (hence power-saver CPU reqd)

Thank you again Alpha17 for these valuable inputs !

1.what is the difference between the 3220 and the 3225? apart from the IGP..
Should I wait for the 3225 to arrive (just for the better CPU performance?)

2. INR 6-8K and 8-10K category , which would be the best CPU performance - in both Intel & AMD. Seems like the FX-6100 is a great contender to the i3 3220?

3. Is TOSHIBA offering 5 year warranty on their HDD? see here: http://www.costtocost.in/list/pricelist.pdf

4. Giga PSU is about 2 years old, i think.. Will go for a tower case as per your suggestion !

Your answers --
  • Nothing different apart from the iGP on die. So you will not loose processing power if you go for the 3220.
  • In that category, you are coming dangerously close to the Intel Core i5 3450 ~11000/- and I would whole heartedly recommend that over any other processor in that price range. The AMD FX processors are not at all efficient for your needs, stick to the Core i3 if you want to balance things.
  • No Toshiba supplies drives to Western Digital according to a few sources, need to check and will get back to you.
  • Then fine, no need to get a new SMPS. Tower is your call.
AnandTech - Bench - CPU -- Intel Core i3 3220 vs. FX-6300 (not 6100), even after being a hexa-core the AMD processor has serious issues in lightly threaded and single-threaded tasks, power consumption nominally is ~90W while the Core i3 swallows ~60W.

Hope this helps, Cheerio!

If you can get a HD4000 IGP, nothing like it. Its totally worth it IMO. The extra EU's in the GPU will be useful later on if you need to either resell OR GPGPU compute when that comes out.

Also have a look at AMD E350/450. It may not have raw CPU grunt but the IGP is pretty good for HD playback. But damn low power consumption.

Also, since you have mentioned that you plan to download torrents, please consider getting a Seagate GoFlex Home OR N13 router OR pogoplug. Its saves a lot of power (IMO, atleast about 150 bucks a month)

I just had a wild thought !!!

Could i not buy a android tablet for 5K odd and accomplish what I am trying to achieve here??

I could hook up a USB HDD or a Flash card (32GB) , install utorrent and download stuff.
I could watch Youtube & HD videos easily by connecting through HDMI to my LCD. (can someone point out such a HDMI-Tablet to me?)
For convenience, I could attach a USB mouse to this thing...

Those two were my primary usage scenarios; for other serious stuff, I have my laptop !

could others comment on whether such a stuff is possible or not ?

Could i not buy a android tablet for 5K odd and accomplish what I am trying to achieve here??

I could hook up a USB HDD or a Flash card (32GB) , install utorrent and download stuff.
I could watch Youtube & HD videos easily by connecting through HDMI to my LCD. (can someone point out such a HDMI-Tablet to me?)
For convenience, I could attach a USB mouse to this thing...

Those two were my primary usage scenarios; for other serious stuff, I have my laptop !

Good thought and also more power efficient.

About the Android tablet that can fulfil your needs you have to post a query in the "Tablets section" of the forum. I suggest the
  • Micromax Funbook / Funbook Pro ~7000/-
  • Google ASUS Nexus7 ~15000/- (from eBay).

I doubt you will enjoy a touch-driven interface via a mouse, so discard that line of thought.

Hope this helps and wishing all on this thread a Happy, Healthy and Prosperous New Year. Cheers!

though OP decided to go for the tablet, i have similar requirments and budget 20K, so i'm bumping this thread only.

my main confusion is b/w AMD A8 proccy and i3 3220, can you guys suggest which one would be better.

I dont plan to upgrade the system for atleast 3 years after this and i'll play games on medium settings, mostly new racing games like BLUR and NFS MW.

Will be getting the system from nehru place, what would be minimum budget if i decide to get a LCD too (size ~22 inches)
rest all requirments are same to OP (multitabbed browsing, occasional torrents and HD videos)

I have no old parts this will be a totally new system. (with exception of CRT will keep it or get new depending on the suggestions)

though OP decided to go for the tablet, i have similar requirments and budget 20K, so i'm bumping this thread only.

my main confusion is b/w AMD A8 proccy and i3 3220, can you guys suggest which one would be better.

I dont plan to upgrade the system for atleast 3 years after this and i'll play games on medium settings, mostly new racing games like BLUR and NFS MW.

Will be getting the system from nehru place, what would be minimum budget if i decide to get a LCD too (size ~22 inches)
rest all requirments are same to OP (multitabbed browsing, occasional torrents and HD videos)

I have no old parts this will be a totally new system. (with exception of CRT will keep it or get new depending on the suggestions)

With an LCD panel the cost rises to anywhere between ~30000/- -->35000/- depending on the motherboard you get, this is what I suggest --

Intel Core i3 3220 ~7000/-
GIGABYTE-B75M-D3H ~4500/-
Corsair Vengeance 4GB x1 1600MHz ~1600/- (add another RAM module later)
Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 1TB ~4000/-
nVidia GTX650Ti 1GB ~11000/-
Cooler Master eLite 361 ~2800/- OR Cooler Master eLite 311 ~1900/-
Cooler Master GX450W ~3500/-
DeLL ST2220L ~8500/-
LOGITECH MK200 combo ~750/-
[audio-peripherals upto you]

For AMD this is what I suggest --
AMD A10-5800K ~8500/-
FM2 socket based motherboard ~6000/-
AMD HD6670 1GB ~6000/-

Hope this helps, Cheerio!

A friend of mine has a strict budget of 20k. I will use this same config except ram will be 2 GB. Is there a mobo with onboard gfx ??
It will be used only for browsing and youtube and ms office maybe that's all.

A friend of mine has a strict budget of 20k. I will use this same config except ram will be 2 GB. Is there a mobo with onboard gfx ??
It will be used only for browsing and youtube and ms office maybe that's all.

Intel shifted the iGP from the motherboard onto the processor die since the Clarckdale era (Generation 1 Core i3's).

And yes the Core i3 carries a decent one which the B75 based motherboard supports and you get a choice of DVI-OUT and HDMI-OUT.

Hope this helps and wishing you a Happy, Healthy and Prosperous New Year. Cheerio!

Well, I would never go for an i3 if my major requirement is multi tabbed browsing. AMD FX Series' more number of cores will definitely come in handy for this.

Back