Want Money Investing Advice

OK here's the deal... I will only reveal my cunning plan after 2-3 years by which time it will be confirmed whether my prediction of Rs 30k turning into Rs 3 lakh comes true or not. Then you can decide for yourselves whether it will increase another 10x every 3 yrs for the next two cycles :p

I am waiting for April 1st - no not fool's day - because of tax planning reasons heh....

I WILL RULE THE STOCK INVESTMENT WORLD PRETTY SOON, mark my words, mwwaahahahaha!

vishalrao said:
OK here's the deal... I will only reveal my cunning plan after 2-3 years by which time it will be confirmed whether my prediction of Rs 30k turning into Rs 3 lakh comes true or not. Then you can decide for yourselves whether it will increase another 10x every 3 yrs for the next two cycles :p

I am waiting for April 1st - no not fool's day - because of tax planning reasons heh....

I WILL RULE THE STOCK INVESTMENT WORLD PRETTY SOON, mark my words, mwwaahahahaha!
I had same thoughts when i was 6.

1) On Investing :-

100 % equity.
Guidance/Advice :- Dont ask for Stock specific Advice, rather learn the process of selecting stocks, and if you cant, then only other option left is Mutual Funds, DONT EVER PUT MONEY IN MARKET ON ADVICE OF OTHERS, THEY CAN HELP YOU TO GET IN, BUT NO ONE WILL COME TO HELP TO GET OUT !!!!

2) On Silver :-
Warren advice :- " I will say this about gold, if you took all of the gold in the world it would
roughly make a cube 67 feet on a side. So if you took all the gold in the world, we could have a cube that went down there 67 feet...
67 feet high and that would be the whole thing. Now for that same cube of gold it would be worth at today's market prices about $7 trillion. That's probably about a third of the value of all the stocks in the United States. So you could have a choice of owning a third of all the stocks in the United States or you could have a choice of owning that little block of gold, which can't do anything but kind of shine there and make you feel like Midas or Croesus or something of the sort.
Now, for $7 trillion, there are roughly a billion of farm— acres of farmland in the United States. They're valued at about $2 1/2 trillion. It's about half the continental United States, this farmland. You could have all the farmland in the United States, you could have about seven ExxonMobiles, and you could have $1 trillion of walking around money. And if you offered me the choice of looking at some 67-foot cube of gold and looking at it all day, you know, I mean touching it and fondling it occasionally, you know, and then saying, you know, `Do something for me,' and it says, `I don't do anything. I just stand here and look pretty.' And the alternative to that was to have all the farmland of the country, everything, cotton, corn, soybeans, seven ExxonMobiles. Just think of that. Add $1 trillion of walking around money. I, you know, maybe call me crazy but I'll take the farmland and the ExxonMobiles."

3) Ultimate Advice :-

"So there's two types of assets to buy. One is where the asset itself delivers a return to

you, such as, you know, rental properties, stocks, a farm. And then there's assets that

you buy where you hope somebody else pays you more later on, but the asset itself

doesn't produce anything. And those are two different games. I regard the second game

as speculation. Now there's nothing immoral or illegal or fattening about speculation, but

it is an entirely different game to buy a lump of something and hope that somebody else

pays you more for that lump two years from now than it is to buy something you expect

to produce income for you over time. I bought a farm 30 years ago, not far from here.

I've never had a quote on it since. What I do is I look at what it produces every year, and

it produces a very satisfactory amount relative to what I paid for it."

^ wise advice.

when i was six i was like clavin

118a.gif

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Since you are 22 now according to your profile and are unemployed by choice, spend the money on further education.

A professional financial planner will help you with everything as already pointed. There are a lot of variables to be consider when suggesting investments. Finding a good one whon you can trust will be hard, get advice from your family/friends.

Right now, if you have the money in a savings A/C, then switch all that to an FD of minimum time period (15/30 days maybe), and keep renewing it till you decide exactly what investment will be the best. There is a huge difference in interest rates.

Take some time for this research and get it right the first time.

vishalrao said:

net said:
I had same thoughts when i was 6.
he is 34 now, guess his wisdom teeth has grown and after 2-3 years, another one !!:D

Don't worry folks - by the time I'm 45, rolling in USD 1 mil. dough (aka filthy rich) I'll throw a few bits of loose change your way :p

Or maybe I can donate the Lambo from the other "hottest italian" thread to you when I get bored of it.

vishalrao said:
Don't worry folks - by the time I'm 45, rolling in USD 1 mil. dough (aka filthy rich) I'll throw a few bits of loose change your way :p
Looks like you got them feeding from your hand.

What can you get for 5 crore in Pune nowadays ?

How to be rich like hassan ali khan :)

Screw buffett.

Just like Bill Gates said.... "Rs. 5 crores (or about GBP 640k)" IS REALLY GUD ENUFF 4 ME !!! heh.

Check the exchange rates my figures are spot on baby! YEAH BABY YEAH !!!

Funny how GBP 640k == USD 1 mil == Rs 5 Cr.... See the numbers all cross-referencing themselves???

Does that not make your spider sense tingle a little bit???

Those who are spiritual and believe in all that numerology BS.... err... mumbo jumbo... you must be shitting bricks right now wondering what's happening in this thread, eh? :p

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

With Rs 5 Cr. I would get the INDIAN DREAM.... Roti, Kapada aur Makan !!! hehehe... and a nice car, a nice PC and other toys too... I think it will fit my lavish budget :D

blr_p said:
Looks like you got them feeding from your hand.

What can you get for 5 crore in Pune nowadays ?

How to be rich like hassan ali khan :)

Screw buffett.

Hands up those who figured out the point vishal was trying to make ?

Could be wrong on this, but he gave a hint with the word 'cunning' ;)

Errm... even I don't know what point you are talking about :D

Is it that... ANY "AVERAGE JOE" aka "TOM, DICK and HARRY" CAN GET RICH OFF THE STOCK MARKET, if they just use more than 2% of their BRAINS ??? hehehe.

Oh, and another thing...

I AM SHELDON, HEAR ME ROAR!!!

sheldon.jpg

LOL

Anybody know if we can invest in foreign stock markets using our demat accounts?

I want to put some money in Tokyo Electric Power Company.I did that with Satyam and financed a couple of my upgrades :p

@Vishalrao - couldn't make out any sense from ur posts. Atleat my spider senses are not as developed as yours :S

Anyway, getting to know a lot of things here except 1 thing, if I want to invest actively in equities n all myself then where do I start with, SIP ?

^Yep, start with 2 mid/large cap funds, e.g. Reliance Growth and HDFC Equity, add some satellite funds later to augment their performance.

vishalrao said:
Errm... even I don't know what point you are talking about :D
Ah ok, cause i thought this was you posting at the most subtle level i've ever seen :)

vishalrao said:
Is it that... ANY "AVERAGE JOE" aka "TOM, DICK and HARRY" CAN GET RICH OFF THE STOCK MARKET, if they just use more than 2% of their BRAINS ??? hehehe.
No, the lesson i figured was beware of giving your hard earned money to ppl who promise impossible returns. You promise a 1000% return every three years.

Well, you can pull that off maybe the first three years if not the remainder by creating a ponzi scheme. You tell ppl this story, explain some convoluted mechanism and they think they can invest with you ;)

You give ppl returns based on the new investment you get from others. Been done countless times in the past and will continue. Latest high profile guy to be caught was Bernie Madoff. Though he promised much more modest returns.

^ nice plan. too much work and chances of getting caught and getting beaten up too.

I think i'll just become a politician and work my way up sucking up to the big people who matter. then in 10-12 yrs time i could land a good portfolio and [strike]leech[/strike] earn money in thousands of crores from the lovely and hard working populace here who don't give a damn.

edit: maybe i'll take the IT ministry and give sops like free broadband of 25MBps for a year to whoever votes for my govt. :p

LOL, coming back to the thread topic (I guess)...

I have an E-Trade account for my company's stock awards and I have the option to sign up for an investor account which I tried last night.

Problem is, they have temporarily suspended non-US residents/foreigners from opening accounts for trading on NYSE/NASDAQ "temporarilty" and I have no clue for how long it will last.

I want to do this investment in April badly :D

I have a Citibank salary account, can I just use that to purchase US stocks (NYSE/NASDAQ) - I am not interested in any other markets (India etc) just the US for this year...

Back