Want to build Media Server with 4 DVD players with LAN ports-Mumbai prices

asheet

Adept
Brief Reqt : Hi

I have a 3 Bedroom flat with joint family. I have LCD Panels in each of the 3 rooms & Hall has a Plasma (HDMI input). I also have 3 sets of DVD Players with Ethernet ports in each room connected to LCD TV (HDMI input).

My dream machine has below reqts :-
1. Storage of 2TB or as recommended by you
2. Should be able to connect to 3 DVD players over Ethernet cables & 4th TV using HDMI cable
3. I should be able to play any media on any TV by searching the Storage from the DVD player menu.
4. All 4 TVs should be able to play different movies at same time from same storage.

For above, pl suggest PC config, CPU, Graphic card, etc. I have to assemble PC from scratch. Want Mumbai rates with Contact details (if permitted else PM)

Thanks

Questions

1. Q: What is your budget?
1. 25K.
2. Q: What is your existing hardware configuration (component name - component brand and model)
1. 3 DVD Players, LCD & Plasma with LAN Ports. Have MTNL DSL Modem with 4 ports
3. Q: Which hardware will you be keeping (component name - component brand and model)
1. As in Q2 above
4. Q: Which hardware component are you looking to buy (component name). If you have already decided on a configuration then please mention the (component brand and model) as well, this will help us in fine tuning your requirement.
1. CPU - Intel /AMD : i3 & above equivalent
2. Motherboard - any compatible motherboard. No Built in graphic card. Min 4 Sata Ports. On-Board SOund. 1/2 Gigabit LAN ports. Min 2 PCI slots, PCIe2.0 supprt reqd. Atleast 4 USB ports 2.0 or above.
3. GPU - Good enough to play HD video on my Plasma/LCD TV through HDMI port
4. PSU - Should be able to power the GPU & above config inc BluRay player, 2 Int HDD & 2Ext HDD.
5. Blue Ray Player (Internal)
6. HDD (Internal) 1.5/2TB, High speed
7. RAM 4GB (1x4GB or 2x2GB)
8. Cabinet (Budget) : Will be in a closet in drawing room.

5. Q: Is this going to be your final configuration or you would be adding/upgrading a component in near future. If yes then please mention when and which component
1. Yes, will upgrade the following within 6 months
2. Ext HDD
6. Q: Where will you buy this hardware? (Online/City/TE Dealer)
1. Mumbai

7. Q: Would you consider buying a second hand hardware from the TE market
1. No
8. Q: What is your intended use for this PC/hardware
1. Download rig, 24x7 operation
2. As media server for Watching HD movies on multiple LCD
9. Q: Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them and the reason for your preference/dislike.
1. I want good quality products with warranty & good service support
10. Q: If you will be playing games then which type of games will you be playing?
1. N/A
11. Q: What is your preferred monitor resolution for gaming and normal usage
1. No Monitor. GPU output to Plasma/LCD. Remaining LAN connection to LCD through DVD Player
12. Q: Are you looking to overclock?
1. No
13. Q: Which operating system do you intend to use with this configuration?
1. Windows 7
2. You can also suggest based on my reqt

Thanks in adv

windows home server will be excellent for this scenario and you can use XBOX as front end (media extender role).

you will need power efficient system with at least 4-5 GIgabit ethernet.

You need a large case with multiple HDD bays and your motherboard should support dual gigabit ethernet i think.(not sure about networking part).

i would suggest a big PSU of 550 watts or so as you need to have enough juice to power up all those mechanical drives.

Or you can go with WIFI n and use wireless media extenders to declutter.

All 4 TVs should be able to play different movies at same time from same storage.

I think you'd need an HTPC but I wonder how would one do this!

4 cheap standalone media players (like the Asus O!Play mini) and connect it to a NAS perhaps? Then again which NAS supports 4 ethernet ports or alternately USB ports? A central HTPC with a blu-ray drive and a decent GPU is fine but I am not sure if they'd meet your requirements.

EDIT: A router can help here. Get a decent router that offers 4 ethernet port connectivity and connect it to the NAS. Solves your problems I suppose. I don't think an HTPC would be required in such a scenario.

Thanks..

I have tsted with my Laptop connectd to 4 port DSL Modem as a client. Then the 4 DVD players connected to LCD TVs. This works well bt due to Laptop CPU & memory limitations, I can't get smooth play.

So I need to build a PC. Pl provide me specs for a good PC within my budget so I can use that as a media server.

I need PC also becuase I will be running uTorrent to downloads movies 7x24 :)

Back