Want to get connected BUT HOW?

bitpal

Disciple
Hi guys,
I have a couple of friends living near and far from my house,we are all into multimedia and have many things in common and likely.

I just wanted to know Is there any way by which we all could get connected to each other,I know about Local Area Network but that may work only inside a office which is in the same building,but we Are scattered in the range of upto 4 kms.

What is Wide Area Network and how does it works,do please consider that we are just friends and not even a small company so we would not be able to invest something huge.

Getting connected through Internet having always On unlimited plan is not only costly but have to be taken by all.

Thanks in advance.

I don't really know how to answer this. Cabling will be a pain. I would say Wimax will work perfectly but the implementation costs are unknown to me (should be reeaaaally costly :p). If you have a Wimax ISP in your area, you guys should take a connection with them and use that network. WiFi on the other hand would need many access points or repeaters in between to form a chain. Setup costs, permissions and power sources for each of these units is another issue.

The other simple solution you have is to ask your friends to a take an ISP connection that connects to its customers through a cabled network - if one exists. If it did, obviously you wouldn't be posting here. Silly me :(

Unlimited Internet plans being costly is not your only problem. The best you can get at a sensible rate is 256kbps. Thats 30KB/s. Transferring 'multimedia' files won't be fun at that speed :p

As Said before, get a service provider on who's network u can run Dc++ it allows u to share content within the providers local network..do a lot of research before u get into it..

What is the Proximity ,if u could tell me i could help u out ,we a group of 8 guys have a well maintained LAN in our area ,offcourse it was a pain getting the LAN up but i swear it's worth (we share evrything from Media to even our Internet Connections sometimes)

Ill list some Points so that u take care of them coming from my own experience

1.Work out the Distance Factor

CAT-5 cable is somethin like 13 Rs/meter ....budget accordingly

2.You need Connectors,a switch and offcourse consent from the neighborhood ppl to lay ur LAN

3.You have to plan where to keep ur Switches at strategic places (offcourse Indoor running on ur own electricity),we for example have 4 ppl each connected to 2 Switches and a main line between 2 switches kept one at my end(North) and the Other end at my friends place (south).

4.Hire a Line Man (prollly some local cable walla guy) he will help you out to lay cables (its a darn frustrating job) ..but they somehow know well and it helps to have em (We paid somethin like 300 bux to the guy to help us out)

5.Once all of u are connected to the Switch assign urself Local Area IP's and ping each other out to test connectivity

6.Install LAN ip msngrs such as Borg Chat or somthing on that line (Google Em)

7.Last but not least atleast learn how to fix connectors to LAN cables they have a very bad habit to blow up every 2 months or so

8.Get good quality CAT-5 cables ,it does matter!

OR

u want a easy way out but will cost ^.^

All of u get Sify installed ,You all will be on LAN by default ,i got inspired from Sify only and installed LAN on my own :)

Hope it helps!

^ Above said is totally viable if you guys are ready to invest and plan out the process carefully.. It will definitely be cheaper than wireless AFAIK..

We've (2 flats around 200 mtrs from each other) connected the two LANs in each flat using 2 switches. Once you get the setup ready, its a fairly simple process after that..

Back