Want to get rid of XP on Windows 7 machine

hemant0285

Disciple
Hiii...
I have installed on my 200 GB Hard disk s Primary partition C: WINDOWS XP
and THEN
Installed Windows 7 on my 500 GB Hard disk s partition F: WINDOWS 7

I want to format C: as I don want to use Windows XP..

I am not able to format C: (XP) from windows 7 and if I remove the hard disk 200gb (XP) I am not able to load Windows 7 from the 2nd hard disk alone as the
FILES REQUIRED FOR BOOTING ARE IN C: (200gb HDD)

How to go about??????/ I want to get rid of XP Partition without preventing LOSS OF BOOT//BOOT FAILURE OF windows 7 as the system files(for booting) are in C:

pls help

In ur bios, change the primary boot drive to the win7 hard drive. Post which you will be able to boot win7 from it and wont need your xp drive.

Download EasyBCD from Free software downloads and software reviews - CNET Download.com

EasyBCD - Free software downloads and software reviews - CNET Download.com

From it, you can remove Windows XP from your booting process and let Windows 7 be the only entry.

But, I cannot understand how your system files can be in C:/ partition. All the system files required by Windows 7 are stored in a separate partition of 100MB which gets created automatically when you install Windows 7.

Can you post a pic of your Disk Management screen? Something like this:

diskmanagement.png

either remove the xp's entry from easybcd-"add and remove entry"
or
boot in from window 7 disk choose "custom installation-disk tool" and format the xp drive partition, then continue the installation to run repair Windows to repair the boot loader.

edge111hussain said:
In ur bios, change the primary boot drive to the win7 hard drive. Post which you will be able to boot win7 from it and wont need your xp drive.

Thnks for yr comment,,, But I tried tat.. Even unplugged my 200gb (XP) hard drive... but then if i remove the xp drive Its not booting up Windows 7 (although it is in 2nd drive--connected)

nywayz thnx

Sei said:
Download EasyBCD from Free software downloads and software reviews - CNET Download.com
EasyBCD - Free software downloads and software reviews - CNET Download.com

From it, you can remove Windows XP from your booting process and let Windows 7 be the only entry.
But, I cannot understand how your system files can be in C:/ partition. All the system files required by Windows 7 are stored in a separate partition of 100MB which gets created automatically when you install Windows 7.

Can you post a pic of your Disk Management screen? Something like this:
diskmanagement.png

My system files r in C: because I had installed Windows 7 from XP.. like not by booting the DVD.. but by starting the installation after starting XP...

here is a preview of my DIsk management screen

well i don find that 100 MB Partition...

oh sorry its not a 500gb hdd but 250 gb .one...

attachment.php

Attachments

• DIsk.jpg
    DIsk.jpg
    353.8 KB · Views: 149
^ What I feel is that because both your partitions i.e. Windows XP ( O: ) and Windows 7 ( F: ) are active, you are not being able to boot into Windows 7 simply by removing the XP HDD.

Try the EasyBCD method. Use it to remove the Windows XP entry from the bootloader.

Steps:

1. After you fire up EasyBCD, go to the third tab, which is "Add/Remove Entries".

2. There you will see the Windows XP partition entry. Remove that.

3. After this, go to the fifth tab, which is "Manage Bootloader".

4. The first option will be selected by default, which is "Reinstall Vista Bootloader". Click on Write MBR.

5. Reboot.

PS: This should work perfectly fine, but if by chance it doesn't work you will not lose any data. You can then try to repair your Windows 7 installation via the boot disk. Even if that doesn't work (fingers crossed), you will simply have to reinstall Windows 7 again by deleting your Windows XP and Windows 7 partition. Most probably not going to happen, but worse things have happened before. :p

PSS: Before you mess around with the MBR, it is always a good idea to take a backup of the files and documents that are present on your Windows partitions.

Try it out and get back with the results :)

1. Take a backup either on external devices or any partition not touched by OS installation.

2. Boot into the system with the Win7 installation disc.

3. Overlay the Win7 Installation on the XP installation.

I have 100% working solution with me.

Have you ever come across software like norton ghost or acronis true image.

These software take the exact dump of your drives(You can even take dump of active partition when running within the operating system.

Once you are done with taking dump for windows xp and windows 7 drive.

You will have 2 backup files.

So even if you messed up or format your operating sytem.You can put Acronis boot cd into cd drive .and restore the system in your previous state.

Steps to follow:

1) Install acronis true image.

2)Make acronis bootable cd/usb drive.

3)backup your windows xp drive say O you will end up with 38 gb backup file give it a name windowxp.img .

4)Backup your window 7 drive say F you will end up with 33 gb backup file give it a name window7.img .

5)store them in seperate drive say H(windowxp.img .) and G(window7.img) respectively .

6)format your windowsxp drive using window xp cd .

put in your boot cd/usb

boot from cd/usb

acronis will get launched at boot it will ask you to restore the image just restore window7.img to c drive and make it a active partition thats it you r done .

7)incase of any failure you still have those two backup files you can restore them any time.

If you r still confused just let me know.

what i'll do is format the xp drive from windows 7

n then run windows 7 dvd n repair it..

so it repairs the start up problems etc..

I think it should work that way !!

If i were you, will do this.. Will get into win7 advanced sys. settings > advanced and remove the windows xp entry. Will boot with vista disk and delete the windows ,program files and documents & settings directory which pertains to windows xp.. As far as possible i avoid formatting my hdd.

The reason why the O/s fails to boot when you remove your xp hdd is because when you install win 7 from xp , the bootloader of windows 7 gets stored in the XP drive or the boot partition.

coolraghav said:

To inform u, Since XP drive contains system files. cannot be formatted bye windows 7 ..

anfjavid said:
If i were you, will do this.. Will get into win7 advanced sys. settings > advanced and remove the windows xp entry. Will boot with vista disk and delete the windows ,program files and documents & settings directory which pertains to windows xp.. As far as possible i avoid formatting my hdd.

The reason why the O/s fails to boot when you remove your xp hdd is because when you install win 7 from xp , the bootloader of windows 7 gets stored in the XP drive or the boot partition.

I think u understood my problem exactly.. Can u please be a little explanatory on this issue.. please detail.. where do i find the advanced sys. settings??

coolraghav said:

Logically it's sounds perfect, but the "Repair Startup Problems automatically" doesn't work as magically as it should. 99% chance is that it will not work. Speaking with experience :D

hemant0285 said:
To inform u, Since XP drive contains system files. cannot be formatted bye windows 7 ..

I think u understood my problem exactly.. Can u please be a little explanatory on this issue.. please detail.. where do i find the advanced sys. settings??

From Windows Vista onwards, Microsoft has gotten rid of the boot.ini file that contained all the booting information. Vista onwards, MS introduced the bcdedit . This is now the only way you can modify the startup information.

The link I gave you is an easy GUI way of playing with the bcdedit command, known as the EasyBCD. I really hope you have downloaded that software and tried the steps I told you.

hemant0285 said:

I am sorry the above method will work only for removing old O/s entries under windows xp. So i suggest you use vistaboot pro or bootbcd. But IMO the former is better in many aspects and m using it. You can search for vista boot pro and edit the entries...

it seems like your boot sector is on Drive C that is why it doesnt boot from second HDD when it connected alone try this,

remove drive c, boot from windows 7 disk and go for a recovery i am sure this should take care of the issue.

there is a possibility that your windwos 7 installation might not get recognised but we will get to it if the case arises

enter win xp, take note of the drive letter of win 7 partition. enter disk management and change the drive letter of win 7 partition to the next drive letter (ex. if its g change it to h). Now remove your xp hdd. Boot with win 7 dvd > enter recovery console > check whether the win 7 partition has the the same drive letter which you saw before in win xp. Now type

bcdedit /export C:\BCD_Backup
c:
cd boot
attrib bcd -s -h -r
ren c:\boot\bcd bcd.old
bootrec /fixmbr
bootrec /fixboot
bootrec /RebuildBcd

Report back after performing the above..

yes, you can try vistaboot pro. But if you want to remove your xp hdd, your drive letters will change and you will have problems booting to windows 7 even if the vista bootloader is written to drive C

Back