Wanted suggestion for DSLR Like Cam

neostan

Disciple
Budget - 18-20 Grand :huh:
Requirement - RAW Output,18X Optical Zoom
My Choice - PANASONIC FZ28:ashamed:
I do not want the Sony H50:no: since I already own that and that kiddo does not have RAW Output.

Any other suggestion from TE pals?:clap:

neostan said:
Budget - 18-20 Grand :huh:
Requirement - RAW Output,18X Optical Zoom
My Choice - PANASONIC FZ28:ashamed:
I do not want the Sony H50:no: since I already own that and that kiddo does not have RAW Output.

Any other suggestion from TE pals?:clap:

Your current choice, the FZ28 is the best !! :)

You can get a Canon 350D for under 20k, and although the kit lens will not have "18x optical zoom" (because it's an 18-55mm), you will get much better picture quality and will have the option to buy more lenses later on. And Canon makes some decent cheap lenses; you can get a 75-300mm for about 9k, which will be equivalent to 18x zoom.

Even though the 350D is old now, it has amazing picture quality for the price and it very easy to work with. I'd suggest getting a Canon EOS 350D body without the kit lens and then buying a Canon 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III USM lens if you are only going to click telephoto shots; otherwise, for normal close range pics get the 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 kit lens as well.

well i'm also in the same dilemma.....but surprising enough no one mentioned fujifilm finepix S100 fs.....i guess this is the only camera which is DSLR like....rather if u think in a more practical way....it is better than few entry level DSLR in the market.....lens wise/price wise/raw image format and functionality wise....

frankly speaking people r more oriented towards sony/canon/nikon....though they lack some important features......

the most interesting feature for S100 fs...is the manual zoom ring....

so my vote goes for S100 fs.....no competition at all....

regards....

Go for A DSLR....

FZ28 and SX10 are the prosumers, and have their own limitations....

No better deal that a DSLR....it also gives U freedom to choose the lens...

It wont be a smart deal to upgrade for H50 to FZ28 or SX10

^^ I would not really suggest a DSLR. A DSLR is big and unless you really like taking photos, you are going to keep the camera at home. Plus you initially get only a kit lens and you will require a longer lens which will add to the cost.

@OP - The Fuji cam is great, but it suffers from lots of CA (purple fringing) and can really spoil your pictures. If you are comfortable shooting RAW and post processing, then its a good camera.

BF1983 said:
@OP - The Fuji cam is great, but it suffers from lots of CA (purple fringing) and can really spoil your pictures. If you are comfortable shooting RAW and post processing, then its a good camera.

BTW there is a new fuji S200EXR which has the new exr sensor found in F200EXR and is cheaper, launch price is $100 cheaper then the launch price of S100.
but the new one has a smaller sensor,no articulating lcd .

BF1983 said:
^^ I would not really suggest a DSLR. A DSLR is big and unless you really like taking photos, you are going to keep the camera at home. Plus you initially get only a kit lens and you will require a longer lens which will add to the cost.

DSLRs are big and U need lenses according to the field of photography U r in,,,But they are not at all useless.....

output of prosumers is nowhere in comparsion with output of DSLRs.....

Down in the link is the technical comparison of the cheapest DSLR in market i.e. Nikon D40...with the two advance prosumer cameras... i.e Canon G10 and Nikon P6000.....

Both the prosumers are expensive than D40, and have more than double of Megapixels than D40.....But still the output of them is nowhere near than D40.....
Check it out here......
Compare cameras

Here is the comparison of Nikon D40 with Panasonic FZ28 and Olympus SP 570 UZ

Compare cameras

Again both are expensive that D40, but D40 is far better than it...

Also note how low the low light ISO other two have than D40

D40 is chosen for comparison only because presently it is the cheapest DSLR in Indian Market....

The only issue with a DLSR is you cannot use it like a point and shoot camera, There are the lenses, the filters, the caps, the covers, the hood etc etc etc.. It will take you time to setup everything and take snaps, and is best in manual mode, and for that you need to learn the settings. Its time consuming and requires patience.

I am telling this from my experience, ( I am still learning) But at the end of the day the effect is amazing! So essentially there is no point comparing a prosumer with a DSLR as both have their pros and cons.

Choice is yours, Anyways best of luck!

@ashvarybabul - I never ever disagreed with your point that a DSLR is better. The DSLR sensor is many TIMES bigger than a P&S sensor. This leads to better dynamic range, better low light capabilities, shallow DOF etc.

However all that comes at a price and if a person buys a DSLR, he/she requires a lot of lenses to cover what a P&S super zoom camera can cover. Plus a DSLR is much heavier and bulkier. Do you want to carry all that if you are not too interested in photography ?

I myself use a Sony A200 DSLR camera btw. But I started out on a P&S camera to learn the basics.

BF1983 said:
@ashvarybabul - I never ever disagreed with your point that a DSLR is better. The DSLR sensor is many TIMES bigger than a P&S sensor. This leads to better dynamic range, better low light capabilities, shallow DOF etc.

However all that comes at a price and if a person buys a DSLR, he/she requires a lot of lenses to cover what a P&S super zoom camera can cover. Plus a DSLR is much heavier and bulkier. Do you want to carry all that if you are not too interested in photography ?

I myself use a Sony A200 DSLR camera btw. But I started out on a P&S camera to learn the basics.

Agree to U that the weight is a major problem.....
However interchanging of lens should not be taken as a negative factor...
U need to buy few lens only which satisfy ones need most....

I probably think that here we dont need to discuss pro & conc of DSLR...

But need to discuss whether it is a good choice to upgrade from H50 to FZ28....
I think it will be good deal only if buyer is not seriously interested in photography, and buying a new one to overcome shortcommings of the former one........

Else nothing makes a better deal than DSLR

Back