Water Leaking from an year old LG AC

xkcd0137

Adept
I bought an LG 1.5 ton AC an year back on 28th June, 2020. It was installed by technician from LG. At the time of installation, there was some issue in installing the front panel, but the technician installed it by applying force.

Now almost an year later, water has started leaking from the indoor unit on the inside, instead through the outlet pipe. This started around a month back but since it was raining at that moment, I thought that maybe rain water was leaking into the room but the water leak hasn't stopped even after rains. And I am pretty sure that the leak is due to improper installation at first.

Now LG wants me to pay ₹650 as visiting charges/labor fees + more money if any part is to be replaced. Is there an easy fix to this which I can try myself? Or should I pay LG technician and let him try (and spoil it even further)?

Look for some blockage at outlet pipe, some times due to blockage it overfills upto indoor unit and starts leaking.
or else it's poor installation.

I had similar issues with a new Daikin, which sprayed water inside at full speed and even the service persons after 5 visits couldn't fix it. Please update about it here when it's fixed as it might help my case too.

Might be due to clogged drain pipe. If you have a wet and dry vacuum cleaner you can suck out the dust and debris from outside outlet pipe.

Look for some blockage at outlet pipe, some times due to blockage it overfills upto indoor unit and starts leaking.
or else it's poor installation.
Okay, I inserted the longest screw driver I had into the outlet pipe and considerable amount of water did pour out from it. But now it's back to very less amount and the water leak inside hasn't stopped either. Let me check it for half an hour and then I'll update again.

I bought an LG 1.5 ton AC an year back on 28th June, 2020. It was installed by technician from LG. At the time of installation, there was some issue in installing the front panel, but the technician installed it by applying force.

Now almost an year later, water has started leaking from the indoor unit on the inside, instead through the outlet pipe. This started around a month back but since it was raining at that moment, I thought that maybe rain water was leaking into the room but the water leak hasn't stopped even after rains. And I am pretty sure that the leak is due to improper installation at first.

Now LG wants me to pay ₹650 as visiting charges/labor fees + more money if any part is to be replaced. Is there an easy fix to this which I can try myself? Or should I pay LG technician and let him try (and spoil it even further)?
Same issue with my Samsung. The leak starts after few hrs and sleep disrupts!
The technician had alligned the pipe properly in the balcony yet there was some very minor bent. I removed all the pipe clips/alignment and made it roll in my balcony like a snake and now no more leaks!

drain pipe is not connected properly to drain tray else its clogged. simple issue but very irritating.
you can remove the top filter and pour some water and see, drain pipe is bent/cut/ clogged or not connected to the drain tray

Is your outlet pipe at an angle sloping down?
Yup, it is.

The technician had alligned the pipe properly in the balcony yet there was some very minor bent. I removed all the pipe clips/alignment and made it roll in my balcony like a snake and now no more leaks!
In my case, outlet pipe is a very tiny thing that comes attached with AC. I haven't extended this pipe so there isn't much to align.

Update: The issue is 90% resolved i.e. 10% water is still leaking inside and 90% via outlet pipe. Let's hope this improves in a few days.

Edit: Cooling has worsened though. :p

Last edited:
If the pipe is slopping down a little and then it stays flat in a straight line will it cause the AC to throw water inside sometimes?
Will keeping the pipe downwards all the way help?

If the pipe is slopping down a little and then it stays flat in a straight line will it cause the AC to throw water inside sometimes?
Will keeping the pipe downwards all the way help?
Exactly!
This was how the pipe was laid and the problem area in red. And at the right is what I did now! Problem solved permanently!

1629137333862.png
1629137410403.png

I had the same problem in June where suddenly the water started leaking from the indoor unit.
The technician advised on phone that the drain pipe is clogged and needs servicing.
So before fixing the appointment, i decided to check the outside drain pipe and realised that it was not slopping down.
After correcting the outside pipe the problem was solved.

Back