Water pump for Home use

Looking for a 0.5 HP pump for pulling water from a well and filling the tank 1 storey above.

I kind of decided on this one. Sadly, our local electrical guy was not happy about it. Was saying small impeller, should not buy self-priming - won't last a year, needs monoblock, this is for sump to tank use etc.

It would be nice if someone can help me understand how self-priming works, anything wrong with a Regenerative pump and other factors. Need to get a new pump soon as the current one is giving a lot of issues. Thanks.

PS: This is another model I have in mind

Self priming pumps have poor flow rate and is noiser and less reliable.

What is vertical height from the point inside the well/sump foot valve to the tank height inlet and also separately what the horizontal piping length and the number of right angled bends in the pipe.

I myself only use centrifugal pumps it can pump water much faster from low height applications like from sump to tank.

Agree with your local electrical guy. He seems to have good knowledge. Ask for centrifugal or a pump with good flow rate. Although youll need to spend more than 6k for it.

Does monoblock centrifugal pump tech outdated !? Which is been replaced by openwell submersible pump.
Water discharge rate seems similar like 9000 liters per hour.
Sucking water was not a problem in openwell submersible pump which was a concern in centrifugal pump when pumping water from water sump.
Rusting and longevity is the concern in submersible pump.

Any pointers that anyone would like to add !?

Does monoblock centrifugal pump tech outdated !? Which is been replaced by openwell submersible pump.
Water discharge rate seems similar like 9000 liters per hour.
Sucking water was not a problem in openwell submersible pump which was a concern in centrifugal pump when pumping water from water sump.
Rusting and longevity is the concern in submersible pump.

Any pointers that anyone would like to add !?
All pumps are outdated, there is nothing new.
Submersible pumps have some advantages like its easy to calculate the total head/height. Don't need a foot valve, zero noise and on average more efficient.

Disadvantage is that they can rust and if its oil cooled can contaminate the water if the seals or motor housing is compromised. If its water cooled, again as the unit rusts if something shorts, its harder to repair and if no elcb you can get electrocuted. You also have to use a hose and not a rigid pipe.

Good submersible pumps are all stainless steel including the impeller and the housing. These are available mostly for export only and are not stocked by dealers.

All of pumps sold in India be it surface pump submersible have poor electrical efficiency the best BEE 5 star rated pump only has a efficiency of around 20%. So a 0.5hp pump in reality is going to consume close to 1kw of electricity.

Also the manufacturer rated flow rate are false they don't remotely achieve those claimed flow rates, on average they are around 40% or even less flow rate compared to the claimed flow rate.

I have replaced 2 pumps from different brand last year and they are way off from the manufacturer specs. The brand new pumps was only able to save 30sec to 40sec of pumping time from my nearly 3 decade old pump. But according to manufacturer rating I should have shaved off 10min compared to my old pump. Nor do the pumps consume anywhere close to what is stamped on them.

Initially bought havells centrifugal pump from flipkart. Damaged in transit. Returned process seems okay after sharing photographs.
Looking to try this startup kinda company: https://www.europumps.in/
Where there are claiming 25% efficiency on their sump to overhead tank submersible pump.
Called their customer service, direct person picked up the call on their second attempt. Guy seems very knowledgeable
Dilemma to try this startup or to get old trustee reliable brands like Taro or CRI

Back