Water Softener System (Or units)

napstersquest

Thread Police
Adept
We are moving into a 3-bath house (a 3BHK flat on floor 1 out of 9).

The society gets water from a well (not a borewell) and the tiles get yellow, the taps get hard water stains so the water is hard for sure.
I am not sure if all the bathrooms get the water through a single pipe. Will confirm this and update the thread later.

In a few years, we might start using the Pune corporation water which won't need this, but currently I want to make sure that we get soft water for bath and washing machine at least.

Something that would be fit-it-and-forget-it, apart from the necessary regular maintenance.

Don't want to spend too much. But let me know all possible solutions (Or what you have deployed).

Check waterscience softener on Amazon. You fit them directly to the tap outlet. They last about 5-6 months for a single person.

Am using it for shower and seen good drop in scaling.

i found alum (aluminum sulfate) makes such bore well water soft. I have an inline sediment water filter connected to my inlet pipe and i wasn't using the sediment filter for months because it rusted apart. I knew alum is used to settle mud and other particles in water from years. So i just put a bar of alum i had in that filter and let the water flow into my loft tank. That bar dissolved completely in 3 days. The water in tank became clear and it even became soft. Previously i could see white powder like coating on my immersion water heater rod when i was not using alum. After using alum, no such white coating on the heater rod. It actually came out sparkling clean the first time. I think each bar is around 20 rupees. One bar a week should be enough to clean up the loft tank of 300-500 liters.

edit: forgot to add one thing. It burns the skin if you have cuts during shaving or you scratched your skin here or there accidentally. It dissolves completely in water and is quite safe. Whenever i shave, i can feel my chin or cheeks burn when i take a bath.

Last edited:
Any suggestions? Looks like I'll be shifting soon to a hard water area of bengaluru and have bought washing machine last year. Don't want to damage that. plus the hair loss and skin issues. Suggest me something.

We are moving into a 3-bath house (a 3BHK flat on floor 1 out of 9).

The society gets water from a well (not a borewell) and the tiles get yellow, the taps get hard water stains so the water is hard for sure.
I am not sure if all the bathrooms get the water through a single pipe. Will confirm this and update the thread later.

In a few years, we might start using the Pune corporation water which won't need this, but currently I want to make sure that we get soft water for bath and washing machine at least.

Something that would be fit-it-and-forget-it, apart from the necessary regular maintenance.

Don't want to spend too much. But let me know all possible solutions (Or what you have deployed).
We both reside in same cities and its a bit surprising that you have to wait for the corporation tap to make its way in your area or society.
DM me your area so I can check if anyone I know whose resides there and what provisions they might have made.

Meanwhile, check these..
Pune-

Any suggestions? Looks like I'll be shifting soon to a hard water area of bengaluru and have bought washing machine last year. Don't want to damage that. plus the hair loss and skin issues. Suggest me something.
Measure the hardness first using a total hardness kit.

50 - 1000mg/l (steps of 50)

5 - 500mg/l (steps of 25)

The first one has a wider range whereas the second has smaller more precise steps but will require twice as many drops to measure in the final step.

With Cauvery water the second is good enough as this time of the year hardness approaches 200 and then drops to below 100 in the monsoons.

If you are NOT getting Cauvery water (likely since you said hard) then the hardness will be higher and may not drop much during the year. In which case you're better off with the first kit with the slightly larger steps.

TDS is not a measure of hardness and will be misleading. These kits use a titration method and are much more accurate.

Keep a bottle of Aquafina handy to rinse out the test tubes when taking samples.

Once you get a measurement so we know what degree of hardness then we can go into methods.
Previously i could see white powder like coating on my immersion water heater rod when i was not using alum. After using alum, no such white coating on the heater rod. It actually came out sparkling clean the first time. I think each bar is around 20 rupees. One bar a week should be enough to clean up the loft tank of 300-500 liters.
It might be interfering with scale formation. Those bars you use are for shaving and because they are 'finished' will cost more per weight. Look for unfinished alum from a traditional remedy store. They are sold as loose rocks and much cheaper. You can always break them into smaller sizes to target a desired weight.

Recently I was arguing about this with a cousin of mine in the US who thinks a little borax mixed in with detergent achieves the same effect with washing machines. I don't think it does but he swears by it. Maybe if the water is only slightly hard. The idea here is to inhibit scaling. It cannot descale or remove it once it has deposited. It's more economical to descale once every three months than to prevent scaling with each wash :)

For harder water a water conditioner like Dcal that uses phosphates might be better. It just sits in your tank and slowly dissolves over time.

They call it a softener but it does not soften water as the above test kit will not detect any reduction. It is a water conditioner as the phosphates inhibit scaling.

How does your skin feel after using alum for bathing as there is no softening in the chemical sense. Still dry or what?
edit: forgot to add one thing. It burns the skin if you have cuts during shaving or you scratched your skin here or there accidentally. It dissolves completely in water and is quite safe. Whenever i shave, i can feel my chin or cheeks burn when i take a bath.

First, you should be shaving AFTER a bath and not before. The beard will be much softer and you won't be pressing on the razor as much and your skin will be less damaged as a result.

If it still burns then you need to improve your shaving technique or change out your blades more often. The test of how good your shave went is after a close 3 pass shave you should feel nothing when you rub the alum bar on your skin. Have discussed this over a decade ago in the wet shaving thread. :)

Last edited:
Some quirks with water softeners and testing.

A water conditioner won't show any difference in total hardness tests as the chemicals are still present. But a salt based softener will show a reduction.

TDS as mentioned is meaningless. It won't show a difference even if the water is softened as this video demonstrates.

In an earlier video he showed the salt based softener reduced total hardness from 540 to 160.

Last edited:
There are 2 kinds depending on the hardness of your water

<150-200ppm - water conditioner system (3m and onestop+) this system uses TAC resin which essentially makes the calcium and magnesium ions somewhat inert thus reducing scale. There will still be some scaling but very less.

>200ppm - water softener (3m, ionexchange, Kent, Eureka Forbes) this the traditional water softener which uses a resin which takes out the calcium and magnesium from your water and replaces it with sodium. This type requires salt to recharge every cycle and the frequency of this cycle depend on your water usage and softener size.

Both of these systems comes in various sizes and depending on your need you can choose what works best by calling the reps from various companies for their suggestions.

(I'm also on the lookout for a solution for hard water for my new house (under construction) and this based my dialogue with reps from all the above companies)

Back