Ways to get money from USA?

I will be getting money from USA. What are the best options to get that. Can i get money using paypal in my ICICI debit card ? Thanks in advance.

Depends how much the amount is.
If you have the dollars in cash you can carry up to 10000 USD on you when you return.
Other ways are of course the money transfer services like WU, etc, but they will charge you accordingly. No idea how their charges work.

Send it by mail. If it's a big amount, send yourself more letters.
Don't forget to check your address, and write " this letter contains no money " clearly on the envelope so that no one tries to steal the cash you're stashing inside.

Send it by mail. If it's a big amount, send yourself more letters.
Don't forget to check your address, and write " this letter contains no money " clearly on the envelope so that no one tries to steal the cash you're stashing inside.
:yahoo: very funny..... Please don't tell this to any of our politicians.... they will start using this method :bleh:

^ If you use PayPal, the amount will be credited to your bank account directly, not through your debit card.

Most banks offers services to transfer money to India from the US, these methods will be cheaper than using PayPal. For eg the service from ICICI is called Money2India -- ICICI Bank | NRI

The charges are minimal ie just 2 USD for transfers less than 1000 USD, check the above link for more details. Similar services are available from almost all banks.

Again it all depends on how much you want to transfer and if you want it in white or black....
For white money transfers you will find many options.... You can choose the one that suits you as per time and cost...
For Black.... No comments ... Anna & Ramdev may be watching ;-)

For money2india you would need a valid SSN, and I have been using a US bank account . So money2india pulls money from a US bank account and transfers the money to your Indian account.

Xoom.com is a much better, faster and smarter way to send money from USA (Assuming you want to keep it white) [Money sent directly into your Bank account at the best possible rates]

Of course u have Paypal, but their exchange rates, makes u frown!

If you need black money, I have no idea.

tejinder, juz use paypal. On 1000$ only 80$ are cut as deduction. You get in hand 920$. So dont worry. Within splits of milliseconds you can except the money in yr Indian Paypal account. Once you have excepted, then you can withdraw the money and within 4 days the money would be in yr bank account if its weekdays. If weekends come in between then 7 days at the most.

^ PayPal is easier but their Fees are high. If you want to send it through legal channels, there are many cheaper alternatives like the ones posted above.

When sending 1000 USD

Paypal - $41 Fee - Lower Exchange rate - You get Rs 52,800
Xoom - $30 Fee - Better Exchange rate - You get Rs 54,427
The above is funded using a credit card.

Now, if you are ready to use a US bank account for funding the transaction

Xoom - No fee - Rs 56100
ICICI Money2India - Rs 50-100 as fees - Rs 56500
SBI Remit to India - Rs 50-100 as fees - Rs 56500

As you can see, PayPal is the most expensive option!

You can also send money from a US Credit Card to anywhere via Xoom, though Xoom charges fees its extremely cheaper than Western Union, Moneygram and other stuff.
Besides you can track the status in real time (Money is usually deposited in your account in 24 business hours, even less), much faster than PayPal.

Also, you can select to receive cash in India for the money sent via Xoom, can be collected via PNB Branches (I've never done this so am not sure how it goes thru and what all documents you need, what are the limits etc.,call Xoom if you are more interested)

How about SBI Remit? I feel its better than ICICI Money2India because it offers better exchange rates. For the same amount in dollars, you will get more in INR with SBI (not 100 percent sure).

Back