WCG Troubleshooting.(Have any questions, problems regarding clients or WCG?Post here)

Blugene

Adept
well i have a doubt...can the same user-id be used to crunch data from more than 2-3 machines...How abt a Dual proccy Server working for WCG?...i have a spare server with 2x Xeon 3.4Ghz, 8GB DDR2 to help Team TE....will try n put that to use for crunching till the time it's put into production use...btw my poor machine with a 3.4Ghz p4 has so far managed just abt 2k points in over 30hrs of running over a week or two....can't keep the pc on beyond office hrs though...will try n put another Xeon Server to use...that server is idle most of the times...anyways lets see how it goes...

yeah did the same....now 2 Xeon Servers on the Job...but the client recognises my hp dx 7200 machine with just a 3.4Ghz P4( 1MB cache) to be more powerful than 2 Xeon 3.6Ghz (4MB cache) procccys..weird...i doubt whether multithreading is being used for the processing of data...

just press ctrl+alt+del to go to task manager and you will know if multithreading is being used or not. It will show as many processes as the no of threads running.

I have dual core processor which can run 2 threads, so BOINC client automatically starts 2 threads.

Have a look.

P.S. I will be moving these past few posts into the sticky thread above. Want to keep this thread strictly about stats :)

well..this is what the task mgr in my dual xeon server shows ...cpu usage is just 13% ...when i try to increase priority it does let me do the same but it doesn't really get reflected...no change in cpu usage...any idea on how do i change that?....btw i'm using the default WCG client i.e UD...should i change to Boinc?

check the following pic...

switch to boinc and hope it works, i dunno about wcgcliet but boince makes a new process for each task

it will always on lowest priority mode, you dont have to increase it

and the client has downloaded job packets right?

yup looks like UD is having issue with multi processor system. Even with ud, make sure you have configuered it properly to use 100% of the cpu from preferences. Also when you log into the WCG website.

Go to My Grid.

From the left side menu click on Device Manager.

You will see the device and profile selected. Click on the profile selected as shown below.

You will get this screen.

Here make sure you make CPU usage to 100%.

Click on Save at the bottom of this page and then restart the client.

If this does not work just switch to BOINC client and see what happens.

Making this section to ask your queries, problems, issues or any questions regarding WCG, Clients etc.

For how to get started on WCG please refer 1st Post in following thread.

Link : http://www.techenclave.com/forums/team-techenclave-at-wcg-90425.html
------------------------------------------------------

Also check this thread for Tips and tricks on WCG.
Link : http://www.techenclave.com/forums/wcg-tips-and-tricks-91643.html
------------------------------------------------------

Of you have any more questions, feel free to post here. I will personally try to solve them and as always other knowledgeable members are always here to help.

:)

Now i hv got boinc installed on the Xeon Servers so that makes 3 physical processors having 6 threads for boinc to run...customised these 2 devices running boinc for maximum output...i.e. 100% cpu usage etc....but no such option is available for UD agents i guess....so have just 2 desktops running UD clients.

from what i know of my short time experience with UD. it takes device setting from what your options are set in My device settings on the WCG website.

Anyway, Boinc is easy to configure anyway. Lots of options.

Okay BOINC is getting really irritating. I crunching about 9/10 results a day and my stats show I'm doing 1.75.

I've been running 24x7 for 3 days now, I have 7 results stuck in validation.

1. Is United Devices faster as far as validation is concerned ?

2. Will I lose stats if I switch to UD ?

1.BOINC is a little bit faster

2.The Results/day is not the crunching rate of the PC but the based on the results that are being validated AFAIK

3.You cant do anything with the validation...even if you switch the software.It depends on how fast the work unit you processed is also processed by somebody else to get your result compared with hima and validated.

4.you will not loose stats of the WUs submitted for validation.If you switch while a WU is being processed,the credit for that WU is lost.

Guys, I need some help.

There is some problem with the client or it seems!

The task doesnt resume from where it was left off when the computer is shutdown and later restarted. And the strangest thing is that the results are posted whenever the computer is restarted, nomatter they are complete or not and the result status reports an "Error" and a new result task is downloaded!!!!

Look at this:

Any help with be highly appreciated.

Justinâ„¢ said:
Guys, I need some help.

There is some problem with the client or it seems!

The task doesnt resume from where it was left off when the computer is shutdown and later restarted. And the strangest thing is that the results are posted whenever the computer is restarted, nomatter they are complete or not and the result status reports an "Error" and a new result task is downloaded!!!!

Look at this:

Any help with be highly appreciated.

Can u tell me which client and specifically what version are you using?
This has never happened to me. but i always snooze and shut down the client before shutting down the pc. This ensures that it writes the progress to HDD and then when client is shut down you dont loose any data.
The thing is, if you are using Wait to kill registry edit, the client is not shut down properly before windows kills the service. Thats when the problem arise.
Either keep it to 5000 or more or manually shut down the client before shutting down the pc.

Back