Storage Solutions WD Blue Vs Green Vs Black

Hi Guyz,

Planning to buy a 750gb/1tb internal hdd :D Since my current 320gb hdd is from WD, im gonna buy WD again. Also, I think they offer 5 years D2D warranty.

Just wanted to clarify whats the basic difference between wd blue/green and black and which one should i consider buying. My main usage will be storing movies/apps/mp3 and data files along with game installations :eek:hyeah:

Also, whats the price difference b/w 750gb and 1tb hdd?

TIA

Just buy the cheapest in the capacity that suits you. I would rather not think too much about it, especially when its only gonna be a data dump.

sTALKEr said:
Just buy the cheapest in the capacity that suits you. I would rather not think too much about it, especially when its only gonna be a data dump.

U forgot the "game installations" brother :D

imo it still wont make too much of a difference.. you'll save at the max, what? 2-3 seconds shaved off a games loading time?

on the other hand, with a green series drive, not only do you have a cooler drive, you have a more power efficient drive too.

go for el cheapo..u probably wont be using it 24/7 right? just plug in an out when u need it..keep the hdd in one place, don move it coz ive seen many hdd's die..and ive seen some last so long JUST because it didnt move.

What is the difference (performance wise) between WD 1TB 32mb vs 16mb. if the difference is marginal, it will go for later. please reply asap, trying to buy this drive today itself :D

Bumping into an old thread here but this is an important question for anyone going out for HD shopping, especially people craving for a WD drive but become confused once they have to choose the option between black, blue and green.

The options are very simple. The black is the top of the line product. Though causes more wear and tear as it squeezes maximum performance out its hardware. Only desirable to people who are gamers, software developers or the one's who need a fast booting PC and the like. Buffer memory is clocked at 32mb. The newest 2tb drive comes with a 64mb buffer.

The green one uses a technology called intelliseek which is nothing but a WD invented paradigm which fails to provide RPM rates. The tentative rates lie between 5400 to 7200 but mostly around 6000ish. What it fails to do in performance, it makes up for it in reliability. Excellent drive for those wanting to buy a drive and forget about buying a new
drive for atleast 6 yrs IMO. Good for watching movies and an excellent choice for a download rig. Buffers from 16mb to 64mb. mostly 32 though.

The blue one is right at the middle, maybe a bit identical to the black series minus buffer memory. A xerox copy of the regular seagate baracuda drives you find in the market? idk? I don't own any latest seagate drives except the one im using right now. 14gb ide. My last drive went bust. Im trying to strike a deal in the FS/WTB section but deaddevil seems to be gobbling up all the drive.

Back