Storage Solutions WD Caviar Green 1TB

djmykey

Skilled
Hello All,

I wanna bump up the storage in my system and since the Seagate has a notorious history of bad firmwares and what not... I was thinking of getting a WD this time. Read on the WD site that the Green HDD's are environment friendly :cool2: thought why not go with this. Am looking at the 1TB WD Caviar Green. Anyone faced any issues / problems with these ? Just wanted to gather some feedback before going for this HDD. :)

Nope... no issues whatsoever so far. I'm using two of these in my Atom based home-server and it runs 24x7, providing Music/Movies/Picture storage for my network.

The HDDs are super quiet and so far been quite reliable. As a matter of fact, I'm thinking of getting another one to add-in. :)

I just bought one last week and must say its quite faster, and hence im adding 3 more hdds to my current setup, well and its not expensive like other flavours like black or blue, but certainly its consistent

Dude the new Seagate 7200.12 HDDs don't have any problem. And then are the best performers.

In fact, for 4.5k, the Seagate 1TB 7200.12 is the fastest Desktop HDD< with the next HDD as the Veloci Raptor only.

Thanks for all your replies... I'll be going with this HDD.

comp@ddict: I dont remember posting that I wanted this from a performance POV; just want reliable storage that's all. Am sick of the Seagate's crashing fiasco..

If anyone by chance knows any dealers stocking the WD 1TB in Pune please leave me a PM.

^^ If you want reliability, better get two of these and run then in RAID 1. Any disk can fail anytime and if your important data is at its mercy, you will be in trouble. I am running the same set up for my file server.

dekruzader said:
^^ If you want reliability, better get two of these and run then in RAID 1. Any disk can fail anytime and if your important data is at its mercy, you will be in trouble. I am running the same set up for my file server.

Good one.. sorry dint mention that I backup all the imp stuff on a Maxtor Basics Desktop 1TB USB. So RAID is outta question to me. You see I don't have mission critical data in my machine :bleh: Also the $$ burnt to get a RAID 1TB array is simply too much man !! Feel it when new servers come in for installation at office :no:

RAID and reliability with huge disks is a joke in a power fluctuation ridden country like ours.

Reliability with RAID is luck when you use large capacity disks.

Better keep your OS on a smaller size disk and not so important data on larger disks. Make regular backups on the important data and you should be fine.

HTH

blufox said:
RAID and reliability with huge disks is a joke in a power fluctuation ridden country like ours.

I would think the power scenario you mentioned would make RAID much more of a necessity than a joke.

blufox said:

Better keep your OS on a smaller size disk and not so important data on larger disks. Make regular backups on the important data and you should be fine.

HTH

This guy knows something i don't. :S

Yes... the RPM is variable on Green drives. WD says it's power saving feature, that the HDDs will spin down to low speed to save power. Makes sense as the target usage for these drives is storage purposes, not write-performance.

^^ Yup, that's true. They don't have precise spin numbers for the Green. Anyway, the drive is damn good. Have been using it as my primary drive for the past month now and no complaints. Very quite and fast enough for me. :)

Yes it is only 5200 rpm but il is very quiet compared to the other drives if sound is not an issue for you go for black its loads faster thank any drive i have ever seen

Back