Skilled
hey guyz i m confused which cavier to buy

i m sure black ones are the costliest

now the confusion is between GREEN OR BLUE

i m getting 2x 500 gb wd hdd's and one is blueand other is green

green cavier has 32mb cache and blue cavier has 16mb cache

which one to choose ?

please help me guyz

The green one's are meant to save power at the cost of performance but i don't think the so called "performance degradation" is noticeable. I think there is just 5-10W difference between the blue and the green.

Its like this

Black - High performance & High power consumption
Good for OS, Games and application

Blue - Medium Performance & Medium power consumption
Good for stuff u access a bit more or HD stuff

Green - Low performance & Low power consumption
good for backup.

broadway said:
The green one's are meant to save power at the cost of performance but i don't think the so called "performance degradation" is noticeable.

The so called "performance degradation" is glaringly noticeable. Not at all recommended for an OS drive.

Edit: Just to clarify, greens are good for "daily usage" too apart from storage/ back ups. In fact they're best for 24/7 usage due to the low noise, lower mechanical speed and lower power consumption. For an OS drive, look elsewhere.

IMO Don't buy any Western Digital now, bcoz they suck! Very high failure rate these days, I've lost three 320GB HDD without showing any prior symptom or S.M.A.R.T. alert. Also Seagate HDD are already unpopular since last year...

Look for Hitachi or Samsung bcoz I havn't heard any complains about them in general...and also look for reviews of other guys who hav used them.

^^^IMHO, you haven't heard anything bad about Hitachi/Samsung most probably cos the user base is not as high as Seagate's or WD's. They still make the highest performing drives and are popular with enterprise users.

Any brand you use, it's imperative that you have proper back ups as no brand can guarantee their drives against failure. SMART has never been successful in warning against each and every failure either. At least we know WD and Seagate both have healthy records in service and warranty issues. I'm not sure about Hitachi and Samsung.

if you want a reliable and faster solution, go for seagate baracuda es drive. they offer 5 years warranty. these drives are made for 24x7 operation.
as per my personal experience, western digital drives become slower after 1.6-2 years.seagate baracuda "as" drives have firmware issue and they are not reliable for data storage. so go for a enterprise storage solution.

i don't know why the people of this forum do not ask for a enterprise storage drives. i am using four seagate baracuda es drives (ST3500630NS), two of them are in RAID configuration and others used as stand alone drives of a gaming machine. still today they are running without any issue. the are about a year old and in 24x7 operation.

^^It's nice to know that WD drives become slow in 1.6-2 years. Any theories on why that happens and maybe you can tell us how you came about to your conclusion (about the time+performance factor)? 5 years warranty on enterprise drives, right. Any idea on what the warranty period is on "desktop" drives? One last question, what to do with all the "as" drives that many of us forum members have? Any idea on what the firmware error does or how to fix it?

Btw, why do you run your gaming rig 24/7?

Lol Naga, nice post :p

I have a 1TB WD Caviar Black.

I only bought it because I learned my Seagate 500GB (.11v) will crash someday due to some universal fault. I needed to take backup so I can send this one for replacement.

Used the WD Black for two months or so (couldn't find the time to take the Seagate for repair) and out of nowhere the WD stopped working?

I've unplugged it for sometime now. Just hoping that my data is safe.

Otherwise, its a good drive and you can see the difference in speed and sound.

Good Luck!

billybob said:
I only bought it because I learned my Seagate 500GB (.11v) will crash someday due to some universal fault. I needed to take backup so I can send this one for replacement.

If you're talking about the Seagate .11 firmware issues, there was a solution posted on TE. You have to go here
and use the serial number check utility. If your drive is one of the affected ones, it'll direct you to a new firmware download page and instructions. Fixed 2 of my Seagates, no issues.

Naga said:
If you're talking about the Seagate .11 firmware issues, there was a solution posted on TE. You have to go here
and use the serial number check utility. If your drive is one of the affected ones, it'll direct you to a new firmware download page and instructions. Fixed 2 of my Seagates, no issues.

Hey thanks! Yes it did prompt me to update the firmware.
Just wondering if it is still better in getting it replaced or fixed from the factory using the warranty?

PS: I connected my Caviar Black 1TB yesterday and thank heavens it works! I have connected this HDD after 6 months I guess. I disconnected it because it had stopped working.

Here is the status:
HD Tune Pro: WDC WD1001FALS-00J7B1 Error Scan

Scanned data : 931 GB
Damaged Blocks : 0.1 %
Elapsed Time : 3:03:12
1 Error at 523320 MB (LBA 1071759776)
2 Error at 715156 MB (LBA 1464640832)

And

HD Tune Pro: WDC WD1001FALS-00J7B1 Health

ID Current Worst ThresholdData Status
(01) Raw Read Error Rate 200 200 51 0 ok
(03) Spin Up Time 253 226 21 7025 ok
(04) Start/Stop Count 99 99 0 1196 ok
(05) Reallocated Sector Count 200 200 140 0 ok
(07) Seek Error Rate 200 200 0 0 ok
(09) Power On Hours Count 98 98 0 2008 ok
(0A) Spin Retry Count 100 100 0 0 ok
(0B) Calibration Retry Count 100 100 0 0 ok
(0C) Power Cycle Count 100 100 0 492 ok
(C0) Power Off Retract Count 200 200 0 201 ok
(C1) Load Cycle Count 200 200 0 1193 ok
(C2) Temperature 113 102 0 37 ok
(C4) Reallocated Event Count 200 200 0 0 ok
(C5) Current Pending Sector 200 200 0 5 warning
(C6) Offline Uncorrectable 200 200 0 5 ok
(C7) Ultra DMA CRC Error Count 200 200 0 0 ok
(C8) Write Error Rate 200 200 0 0 ok

Health Status : warning

Any way to fix these other than formating?

Cheers!

Back