Storage Solutions WD6400AACS is slow - Discussion

rPOk

Adept
Hey all, just wanted the forum members to get rid of the myth that WD6400AACS is slow compared to WD6400AAKS.

Yesterday i bought 2 AACS drives from SMC for a good price (one for myself and one for another friend).

Last time i'd bought AAKS drives for a friend and copied stuff over it and i got upto 98MB/s speed. And in AACS drives i could still get upto 94MB/s speed.

So i would like to say that AACS is in now way much slower than AAKS.

In fact if you see that this drive (being the green power) actually consumes much lesser power than AAKS drives, this one makes a better sense to get when you're having 4-5 hdds in your system.

This drive is definitely NOT A 5400rpm as i thought earlier and as are the views of many forum members...such a speed can't be delivered by a 5400rpm drive. In fact its speed is variable, and it idles at a lower rpm (which is sensible).

HD Tach score attached.

316spea.jpg

This benchmark was done on a 90% full drive...so an empty drive might have given even a better score. Its as fast as a AAKS drive i had with me a few weeks back (until a friend stole it :p)

Last time i'd bought AAKS drives for a friend and copied stuff over it and i got upto 98MB/s speed. And in AACS drives i could still get upto 94MB/s speed.

Why is HD tach showing 76MB/s...can you check with HD tune pro the AAM setting of the drive as well. As of half filled and empty drive, the transfer rates(HD Tach) are almost similar. I get 100~102 MB/s on my 90% full 6400AAKS.Also the access time is quite slower at 14.8ms compared to 12 ms on the 6400AAKS

^^ that is the avg speed i guess...i've seen 90+ speeds in tera copy software...in both the drives....

i haven't used Hd tach before..let me try the other one too....

You can try with Atto as well , I have all the results ready to be compared !

Lot of ppl r waiting here in bangalore if this drive performs the same , my dealer contact gt 20 pieces of all AACS drives :p

For me it looks like it surely a bit (10-20% depending on load) slower !

I think I am the original starter of this"myth" of WD GP drives being slow as they have been reported to spin at 5400RPM only. Please note I did mention that this report was made before the 640 GP HDD was released and as I do not have personal experience with WD's GP line of HDDs I did not mention this as a fact but as being mentioned by SPCR and Anandtech, both mentioned that all the GP HDDs they had tested spun exclusively at 5400RPM - this was before the 640GB HDDs were released, it is possible that the 640 GP is a 7200RPM HDD, is there any software that can confirm the RPM of a HDD ?

Here is a thread at HardForum - "WD6400AACS vs WD6400AAKS" ... please read this for more info on this debate. Also note to read POST number 7 :eek:hyeah:

WD6400AACS vs WD6400AAKS - [H]ard|Forum

That definitely is slow compared to the AAKS model. The average transfer rates of that are well above 100MB/s in HDTach.

so where did rPok disappear :p...waiting for him to post detailed Atto, HD Tune, and real life HDD to HDD copy benchies :D

last post in that hardforum thread :p

Well, I have three of those WD6400AACS HDD's

One of them is death, so it's gonna be a RMA anyway.

The drive speed appears to be locked somewhere between 5400 and 7200 rpm, so it's not adjusted to use (like I though). This sucks bigtime offcourse. Anyway, they are silent and use verry little juice, what is good.

I'm gonna ask WD to trade my death WD6400AACS for a WD6400AAKS and I'll sell the other two to my brother for his 24/7 computer.

What next? > A few more WD6400AAKS discs from the shop.

Just like a lot of people I bought into the idea of adjustable rpm, what appears to be all BS and misleading marketing.

WD India might be mad to import that when everyone wanted is AAKS. And guess hwat 1st one to tell that to us was Mr Amarbir !(who somehow has the AAKS) Lets smell some fish :rofl:

What rPok is trying to say is that AAKS vs AACS is not a big difference. In fact the whole thing makes up when it comes to total power consumption. If you are copying over 50GB of data then only it would make a big difference between the copying speeds of the two drives otherwise it wont make a difference if you are copying anything lesser then 50GB.

Ya but point is that very few ppl will appreciate the 3W power saving rather than the huge dip in HD Tach ! Also if you see the HD tach the HDD doesn't cross 100MB/s sustained read speeds unlike 120MB/s of the AAKS !

At least personally speaking I will favour the AACS only for using inside a case :), otherwise its all the way AAKS. I have asked the distri and dealer here to return all the AACS, in fact when the distri found out thats its 5400~7200 rpm variable drive he was furious with the Champion HO as they told him this is Green power, better,faster and bit more expensive :rofl:....I personally had ordered arnd 8-10 nos for myself and other TE members! Hope there is some AAKS stock with the head office at least !

Mr. Amarbir must be a very happy man now :rofl:

I sooo hope the AACS drops to be cheaper than the AAKS...ill pick it up and case it :) Come to think of it, ive been waiting to do that since so long.....

Back