WDTV or Asus O'Play?

Ethan_Hunt

Secret Agent Man
Skilled
I think my good ol' Philips DVP5150 DivX player is starting to cough up signs of ageing. It's automatically shutting down at least once in every session. Now it's not much of a problem, but rather an annoyance. So if it dies out any time soon, I don't want to be without a DivX player.

So now the question is which Media player would be my best bet in terms of all round media format compatibility? I found that the WDTV doesn't support RMVB files. What about Quicktime? Also I found that the WDTV's forward feature only has 16X speed and it's was dam slow for a 1080p file. Does anyone of these player support time search/jump feature?

Can you folks tell me, which would be the best stable player which would last me for a long time? I'll be planning to run stuff off a portable HDD, so NAS and Wi-Fi streaming isn't not a major concern. What about the warranty and service of both players?

There are better options as well - Xtreamer Sidewinder or the AC Ryan PlayON HD mini. There's a regd. dealer for Xtreamer in our forums. Stormblast recently got hold of a AC Ryan PlayON Mini from Lamignton with warranty for less than 8k. His opinions on the player was fairly good IINM. Besides, the AC Ryan plays RMVB files as well which I doubt if the Xstreamer can. Not sure of Asus's player and the features though.

I wonder why do you even need a stand-alone media player, when you can install PS3 Media Server on your comp and play almost any format you would want to!

Those are my 0.02$. :)

Desecrator said:
I wonder why do you even need a stand-alone media player, when you can install PS3 Media Server on your comp and play almost any format you would want to!

Those are my 0.02$. :)

That's because I need to connect it to my normal SDTV via composite cable. I don't have any intentions of buying an HDTV any time soon. Besides, I don't have a Wi-Fi router and I'm not sure how that whole PS3 streaming setup would work. So I need one of these media players for easy access and playing almost every video file format which is available. I'm on a tight budget and don't plan to spend loads of cash for it. I just need a very basic player & nothing fancy. If I recall correctly, Xtreamer was on the high side of the price point. I'll have to check for AC Ryan, never heard of it.

The Asus O! Play HDP-R1 HD is retailing for Rs. 6,190/- on Ebay.

Ok so you need a connectivity to your normal SDTV as well - does it accept component output (Y-Pr-Pb) or the composite output? If it's the latter you can use the PS3's composite out using the bundled AV cable and yet have the HDMI out connected to your Dell S2409W. ;)

PMS is extremely easy to setup - ideally you need a good 802.11 b/g router if not the N based router which are slightly expensive.

But trust me on this, PMS would blow away most stand-alone players out of water for the sheer value it offers - support for almost every player out there including the .rmvb format. It is easy to configure it as well and would let you save some moolah.

Read up more on it and decide -

PS3 Media Server

ps3mediaserver - Project Hosting on Google Code

Let me know if you have any queries. :)

dude akshay what are your remarks on the system ? i see you getting or got it recently .

there are a few reactions like the xtreamer takes time in detecting drives , and does not support ntfs file format + they lag when slidshowing hi-res pics . So what's your take on them ?

let us know buddy :D

Back