Web Browser for work (Chromium based)

kartikoli

Skilled
My job require me to use several chromium based browsers for different purposes but I use 4 browsers mostly on a daily basis
1. Cent - Where all my Work related logins are present along with numerous extensions
2. Brave - This is my go to browser for all work related tasks so as I get a project the work is done here (I've configured it to clear cookies on exit so it makes the browser light and stops from tracking from countless websites that I have to visit)
3. Chrome - Configured to be used with another dummy account that is used rarely for work purpose (Since its google and resource hungry, I use it sparingly)
4. Firefox - For personal use, like writing this post here on TE (Though I've see FF have become very sluggish but I am not willing to give up as yet)

Now I want to replace Cent browser with another as its not updating chromium engine also I need a browser where if I copy "User Data" folder from C drive it can be reinstalled with all Logins/Extensions after reinstalling windows. its really annoying to login to all those websites and ask for codes after reinstall.

So I would like to know which browsers people use these days with following options
Secondly I need another browser where I can browse and leave no traces so next time I don't see same recommendations (Epic browser comes to mind but haven't used it in a while so not sure)

Secondly I need another browser where I can browse and leave no traces so next time I don't see same recommendations
But you can open incognito windows in the browsers for this purpose, right ? If you want to start the browser directly in incognito mode, you can create a shortcut with "chromium --incognito" as the command.

There are extensions, which automatically or on demand clear website data, e.g. "Auto Clear Browsing Data" and must should work on any chromium based browser.

But you can open incognito windows in the browsers for this purpose, right ? If you want to start the browser directly in incognito mode, you can create a shortcut with "chromium --incognito" as the command.

There are extensions, which automatically or on demand clear website data, e.g. "Auto Clear Browsing Data" and must should work on any chromium based browser.
Yes thats right but its good to have something that can do the job without much tweaks as I already have lots of extensions on other browsers. Anyways this is a secondary issue and as you mentioned I can use extensions also this is browser will be used rarely.

4. Firefox - For personal use, like writing this post here on TE (Though I've see FF have become very sluggish but I am not willing to give up as yet)
its wannabie Chrome now, font rendering was bad since ages and now 15 different problems everyday, plus youtube performace sukx.. Google spyware are bundled inside firefox now by default, if one doesnt disable google services.
Check out Vivaldi.
Brave or Vivaldi should be your browser for personal use ( where you do banking, etc) and not anything which controlled by google.

Another one to look for is Opera, don't get fooled by political propaganda, Google/facebook is much more dangerous then the fake narrative of "Chinese-app" or even putin's nuclear war threat.

Last edited:
its wannabie Chrome now, font rendering was bad since ages and now 15 different problems everyday, plus youtube performace sukx.. Google spyware are bundled inside firefox now by default, if one doesnt disable google services.
Check out Vivaldi.
Brave or Vivaldi should be your browser for personal use ( where you do banking, etc) and not anything which controlled by google.

Another one to look for is Opera, don't get fooled by political propaganda, Google/facebook is much more dangerous then the fake narrative of "Chinese-app" or even putin's nuclear war threat.
I was thinking about Opera since FF is going bad to worse, If I want to download something from Instagram and use age old trick of "Save Page As" option the photos/Videos are not in original format so have to login to brave and then save photo/video to be used. Also FF Incognito is useless because you will see youtube recommendations for such content.

Vivaldi, Last I checked was in 2018-19 and didn't like there interface but will see how it goes now.

If I want to download something from Instagram and use age old trick of "Save Page As" option the photos/Videos are not in original format so have to login to brave and then save photo/video to be used. Also FF Incognito is useless because you will see youtube recommendations for such content.
For Instagram, there are multiple add-ons for Instagram download, some of them worked fine when I checked last month.
For Youtube, the way I use is :
1. Not login to Youtube
2. Watch / search Youtube on a particular topic
3. Youtube recommendations are now all about that topic
4. Close all FF incognito windows
5. Open Youtube in FF incognito again - the recommendations are no more about that topic, but general.

In what way do you see that FF incognito shows Youtube recommendations ?

I was thinking about Opera since FF is going bad to worse, If I want to download something from Instagram and use age old trick of "Save Page As" option the photos/Videos are not in original format so have to login to brave and then save photo/video to be used. Also FF Incognito is useless because you will see youtube recommendations for such content.

Vivaldi, Last I checked was in 2018-19 and didn't like there interface but will see how it goes now.
Selling Opera data to the Chinese consortium was part of the deal and honestly, what else can you expect when the Chinese government backed companies keep buying "free" products all over.

FF breaks because lazy Devs build for Chromium and by default FF enforces stronger privacy protection, though you need to harden the broswer further as per your need.

I use FF by default and may be 1 out of 10 websites don't work as intended, in which case have to use Edge for something like filling up a form. Otherwise, don't see where FF fails.

For Instagram, there are multiple add-ons for Instagram download, some of them worked fine when I checked last month.
For Youtube, the way I use is :
1. Not login to Youtube
2. Watch / search Youtube on a particular topic
3. Youtube recommendations are now all about that topic
4. Close all FF incognito windows
5. Open Youtube in FF incognito again - the recommendations are no more about that topic, but general.

In what way do you see that FF incognito shows Youtube recommendations ?
What I meant was when we use "Save Page As" option the data is not downloaded in standard format where is in other chromium based browsers you get data as it is (Pics and videos in the format they are originally uploaded). Its not a big deal anyways.
Regarding Youtube
Right now I am not logged in to any gmail account and if I open a video on youtube in incognito window after few/couple of days I see related videos on my mobile. That means FF saved my browsing history and next time when I used my gmail it was attached, thats a logical reason I can think of.
I use FF by default and may be 1 out of 10 websites don't work as intended, in which case have to use Edge for something like filling up a form. Otherwise, don't see where FF fails.
Sadly thats not the case with me, some of the websites are really slow specially Facebook and several times I can't even load a page properly where everything work great in brave. (I am on 200 mbps connection so internet speed is not an issue)
Vivaldi Good but can't access Gmail
Just found out lol when I tried to sync my work gmail to get everything from Cent browser

I've been using Vivaldi for the past couple of years and it has gradually improved. I've been using Gmail, Google drive(docs/sheets/draw etc), blogger etc on it without any issues, can't comment on organizational gmail as I have been using the free google accounts. Since it is chromium based all the extensions found in the chrome store work on it. It also supports profiles.

I've been using Vivaldi for the past couple of years and it has gradually improved. I've been using Gmail, Google drive(docs/sheets/draw etc), blogger etc on it without any issues, can't comment on organizational gmail as I have been using the free google accounts. Since it is chromium based all the extensions found in the chrome store work on it. It also supports profiles.
when you reinstall vivaldi after PC format, can it access old data like password/extensions/logins if you copy/paste "User Data" folder saved before format? If that works then it will be really helpful as I can't find gmail sync option (I prefer personal gmail for sync)

when you reinstall vivaldi after PC format, can it access old data like password/extensions/logins if you copy/paste "User Data" folder saved before format? If that works then it will be really helpful as I can't find gmail sync option (I prefer personal gmail for sync)
Yes it is possible. Before I had Vivaldi sync enabled I did that for transferring my profile from my old laptop to new laptop. I manually copied my profile to my new laptop. Have a look at this
https://forum.vivaldi.net/topic/146...store-transfer-your-profile-to-another-device
Now I have sync enabled so bookmarks, speed dial, extensions, Notes(partial without attachments), autofill info, stored passwords get synced. Note that this is not feature complete and some things are not synced so please have a look at what is synced to verify that it satisfies your needs.
https://help.vivaldi.com/desktop/tools/sync/
Although Vivaldi does not have that much market share in the browser market, it does have a good community and responsive devs and has been my daily driver for the past couple of years. For sites which do not work in Vivaldi I try the portable versions of chrome and Firefox. Before Vivaldi, Opera was my daily driver, but once the company was sold to a Chinese consortium and they switched to the chromium engine, I stopped using it. Vivaldi Technologies was created by one of the founders and ex-CEO of Opera and it also has ex-Opera employees. Vivaldi also has an inbuilt Mail client, calendar and Feed reader though they are still in the fledgling stages currently.
Note: multiple profiles require different sync accounts for each profile. Also I sorely miss the "Multi-Account Containers" feature available in Firefox.

I think Sync will be better as manually copy pasting "User Data" folder skips very important part "Extensions" and its time consuming step to be done manually. Will give it a try and see how it goes

for Mozilla FireFox Govt. issue advisory .. read more

For people who cant read hindi...

What has the government said in the advisory?​

This advisory states that there are many flaws in Mozilla Firefox.
They can be used by cybercriminals to harm users by remotely bypassing security restrictions, executing arbitrary codes, and revealing sensitive information on target systems.

In early September also, the Indian Computer Emergency Response Team had warned about several flaws in the Mozilla Firefox browser.
This browser can allow hackers to compromise the security system of the device.

For this reason, the government's advisory now states that the bugs found in the Mozilla Firefox browser can also allow remote attackers to bypass security restrictions, execute arbitrary code and perform service attacks on the target system.

Last edited:
Aren't their advisories pretty much just collected advisories that the developers themselves publish? That's the impression I got when I looked at the site, doesn't look like they did any research or pentesting on their own.

Ignore these advisories. You cannot use any device if you follow them. There are new exploits found every day. Keep your device & apps updated. Browse safely.

Vivaldi took some senconds pause before open first time or new tab, did you face same issue?
Working fine on my end though since 2 days Brave have become extremely slow even switching tabs take time. I don't know if its browser or something else as other browsers are working normally.

Back