Weird Internet Disconnection Problem. Pls help

gurujee

Disciple
I have a serious issue with my modem/router/internet connection. I have a BSNL broadband and TpLink modem+router. From a month I am observing frequent internet disconnection. First I thought it may be some BSNL problem of my area, but now I think the problem is mine – either my modem+router or my cable connection from BSNL. First I tried googling and came to know about the DNS flush thing. I did that but no relief.

One thing I observed when it gets disconnects, the DNS server address is there. And sometimes all the address are blank. Pls see my attached pics.
What I initially used to do- Restart the modem and bang after restart i am connected to internet. The connection stays. But currently after restart the connection lasts for some 2-3 minutes and disconnects and problem started. Please help me identifying the problem. I know I can call BSNL guys but they will talk rubbish like scan for virus etc. I want to make sure if the problem lies with the modem/router..

Resetting the modem+router will work ?

1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg

Thanks for replying friend. I just changed ..it was auto sync up before. I am waiting to see if it solves my problem.

Next thing to try is use google DNS instead of your ISP DNS, saves you the DNS look up stage and once sync'd with the ISP you're good to go.

Primary DNS: 8.8.8.8
Sec DNS : 8.8.4.4

Enter this in your modem settings, it means a much faster re-connect after a disconnect.

Next thing to try is use google DNS instead of your ISP DNS, saves you the DNS look up stage and once sync'd with the ISP you're good to go.

Primary DNS: 8.8.8.8
Sec DNS : 8.8.4.4

Enter this in your modem settings, it means a much faster re-connect after a disconnect.
changed the DNS to google....... :( no improvment...still connection drops every minute. i am writing reply now when just connected.. and when about to click 'post reply' connection gone. Posted after when connected again. :( Is it my modem or from BSNL side!??

DNS is after you connect.

g.dmt is to prevent disconnects. Which model of tp-link modem-router do you have ?

In the screen pics you posted above i noticed your modulation was adsl_2_PLUS. Unless you're on a 24Mbs connection that is useless and rather sensitive to signal noise.

g.dmt will limit you to a max of 2.5Mbs, but its more robust. Just leave the ADSL or ADSL2 fields blank in the modem config page.

This is a pretty common issue with BSNL. Your stuff is fine. Ask them to check the connection at switchboard (or whatever it is called) near your home.

DNS is after you connect.

g.dmt is to prevent disconnects. Which model of tp-link modem-router do you have ?

In the screen pics you posted above i noticed your modulation was adsl_2_PLUS. Unless you're on a 24Mbs connection that is useless and rather sensitive to signal noise.

g.dmt will limit you to a max of 2.5Mbs, but its more robust. Just leave the ADSL or ADSL2 fields blank in the modem config page.

Model is Tp-Link TD-W8961ND

I have a 4Mbps connection. I think no option there to live blank except 'Auto sync-up' now i have set g.dmt.

yes, i was looking at the emulator for w8968, try g.dmt.

There are two extra check boxes there too, check bitswap & uncheck SRA.

problem is still there. I have called BSNL guys several times. But they dont budge. this is festive time here at Puri, Odisha, so they may come after the season.... :(

in your 3rd pic upstream SNR drops to 7.0 from 19.0 in your 1st pic.it seems like a line problem to me & as for G.Dmt it is nothing but just a variant of ADSL standard(G.DMT.bisplus = ADSL2+,G.DMT.bis = ADSL2,G.DMT = ADSL 1).in many places BSNL has switched to ADSL2/2+ so manually setting G.Dmt will result in no sync at all like in my place so unless absolutely necessary use auto-sync.also lineman/regular bsnl people will never understand SNR values so just tell them there is noise/crackling sound in phone(it will be there for such values) & then only will they check/change the line.

thanks blr_p & guest_999
for replying....I am also in doubt the modem is not OK. However, the lineman from BSNL finally came now and said he cleaned the mainboard of line. There was carbon and stuff... I told him the prob and also about the SNR value/ and noise in telephone. He said it wont happen as it was carbon that may caused the prob. I tipped him 100/- so that he will come personally if problem occurs again. Let's see...

.in many places BSNL has switched to ADSL2/2+ so manually setting G.Dmt will result in no sync at all like in my place so unless absolutely necessary use auto-sync.
Interesting, because on airtel when i used g.dmt, my disconnects dropped significantly. The connection became very stable. From which i concluded that G.dmt is more noise resistant than the other ADSL settings. And i live just 0.5Km from the exchange. There are times where it still disconnects like crazy but those instances are fewer now. My modem now is 1.5 yrs old, its getting close to the point where i usually replace it. Let's see how long g.dmt lasts with this modem.

Besides i find it unusual that BSNL would disallow g.dmt because adsl, adsl2, adsl2+ are for 8,16,24Mbs speeds. If you get a lower speed then those settings don't do anything and require a cleaner line to work. A it is they need a cleaner line to deliver those high speeds. Distance from the exchange and noisy line means lower speeds.

Can anyone advise me where i can find the adsl or g.mdt settings on tp link w8968 modem page..? Searched but could not find...

Back