PC Peripherals Weird pc power cut

zapout

Disciple
Hi,

I'm facing problem with my system.
It's shutting down automatically, not shutdown per se...its more like a power cut. (no shutdown screen, straight to pc power cut)
It's happening randomly, sometimes pc runs for 3-4 hours with no issue and sometimes it power off 2 times in 3 hours.

It's started with artifacts/horizontal lines, pc lag and weird noise coming from pc.
Now its straight to power cut.. As if the psu is cutting power to the systsm.
Not facing other previous issues though.

I can't pin point it to any specific component, as it started with horizontal lines, noise and now power cut.
First I thought that its the hdd because of the lag and noise, now power cuts.
My best guess is, it's the psu.

I've cleaned the ram dimms, ran ram test, changed the thermal paste of the cpu.
Changes the power button connection to restart button (can't explained the logic behind why I did this[emoji52] )

I've halted my gpu purchase because of this.

Help me out guys.

Config-
-A10 5800k
-ASUS F2A55-M LK2 PLUS
-8gb(4x2) corsair vengeance 1600mhz ram
-1tb wd blue, 500gb wd blue, 500gb Seagate 7200.12
-seasonic S12II 520

Last edited:
It might be the PSU as you are already contemplating. Try to see if the below two things are checked out :

1. Earthing : The ground to your PC should be proper. Measure the voltage between the phase and neutral (It should be marginal).
2. Local Short : Check if the motherboard and chasis are isolated. I had a screw which was lodged in between the mobo and chasis whcih gave me similar issues and screwed up everything.

Its most probably the psu.
It is not providing enough power to run the system properly, that's why the artifacts.

I've a chipo psu lying around(I keep that for cases such as this)
But as I said it's totally random,
Not like I can simulate the crash through a stress test.
So I don't know if testing with another psu is going to yield any results, plus that psu is crap so don't want to use it.

I'm going to rma my psu.
Can anybody guide me through seasonic psu rma??

Shipping psu is going to be risky/costly, as chances of it getting damaged are high.. I'll call and find out if psu can be dropped at local branch.

PSU failure can do havoc to your system. A few years earlier I had frequent HDD failures. Later I realized that PSU although it was working was the culprit.

Yes, I know.. Even I've faced frequent hdd failure because of this.
Hoping it's the psu not the mobo.
Else psu RMA will be moot..

I kept my pc on for about 13 hours to check if It shutdown or not, it didn't.
Now its working, don't know what's changed apart from me Changing the power buttons.

Going to check with another psu this weekend, if could arrange one.

Back