Weird Problem - MTNL Broadband

manu1991

Barely Alive
Skilled
Ok , here is a weird issue i am facing .

I have a 1 mbps unlimited plan from MTNL and last week , i was getting very slow speeds on my connection . The MTNL speed test showed speeds between 150-200 kbps . Naturally , i complained . They sent an engineer to check and he tried several things but could not remedy the problem . Friday , i got a call from them saying they had "boosted" my internet speed (?) . The connection seemed to be fine and i was getting > 1 mbps speeds on MTNL's speed test . Today when i was downloading a torrent , i realized that i was getting 200 kBps+ speeds . On checking the modem status page i found out i was synced at 2 mbps down / 1 mbps up instead of 1 mbps down / 512 kbps up . All good . But the problem is that my original issue still remains . Whenever i try to download a file through the browser i am getting VERY low speeds (< 20 kBps) , on downloading a file through a download manager , i get ~ 100 kBps speed while torrents give me ~ 240 kBps speed . The same thing happens over wifi and in linux so its not a virus / driver issue .

Here's what is happening :

Downloading open office in 3 ways :

Browser :
capture3mf.png

Download Manager :
capture2en.png

Torrent :
captureph.png

The massive difference in speed seems pretty odd to me . Anyone has ideas on why this is happening ? Whats causing this ? I have tried other files too . The same thing happens . I have a Huawei HG520 WiFi + ADSL2+ router given my MTNL

browser downloads are always trouble wenever i downlod smething on 2mbps connection thru firefox i hardly get 50 or 60 then i when i do the same thing with managers its better and currently i use hotfile so i get full speed

my frnd's line is also synced at 2 mbps while he's opted for 749 plan as i have tested his setting in router page showing 2mbps downstream. but when download frm browser it shows 30kbps.

But when download through download manager/torrent it gives him ~200kbps. when i decreased the number of connection in IDM (number of simultaneous connection to download server/number in which file is spited) to 1 it's back to 30kbps.

This shows that his speed depends on maximum simultaneous connections made (not browser download) which is many in torrent.

USE IDM :)

Back