CPU/Mobo Weirdest issue with mobo since past few days.

Futureized

Skilled
I have to unplug the main motherboard power cord and plug the same again.
System runs fine for hours to days, until i manually shut down and turn off power switch *electric supply*.

Not sure how to debug this.

Check for any BIOS updates/clear CMOS.
I have latest bios.
Though couple of times a year, get a message bios is corrupt and will be restored from secondary bios.
Gigabyte z77x up5 th motherboard.
Sounds like a PSU issue to me. Could you list your pc specs and age of the PSU?
It's on old system.
Gigabyte z77x up5 th motherboard
i3 3750k cpu
8 Gb ddr3 ram
Nvidia GeForce ti 600 boost gpu (it's in repair, got burnt last week while cleaning machine)
Antec 750 watts psu.
I kinda had the same issue this week too. Do you have any sleeved/LED 24 pin extension cables?
Don't have 24 pin cable which goes in mobo.

I have a simiilar issue with a GA-Z97-UD7 TH. I consider it to be a senile system even though I have older stuff that's working like new, since it's so finicky about starting up. I have to clear CMOS each and every time. My current solution is to never turn it off. But I suspect the BIOS chip needs to be reflashed or replaced since flashing through the existing BIOS doesn't fix the problem. The most striking symptom I have is that the post code display won't show anything on power up, so I clear CMOS and then it works on the next boot.

You could try something as simple changing the CMOS battery and then reflashing the current BIOS in a DOS environment. I'm half way stuck wondering if it's time to let go of such old hardware or to pursue a fix.

I had one model lower than OP's, z77x UD3H, sadly it died on me earlier this year after serving me well for many years.
I have a simiilar issue with a GA-Z97-UD7 TH. I consider it to be a senile system even though I have older stuff that's working like new, since it's so finicky about starting up. I have to clear CMOS each and every time. My current solution is to never turn it off. But I suspect the BIOS chip needs to be reflashed or replaced since flashing through the existing BIOS doesn't fix the problem. The most striking symptom I have is that the post code display won't show anything on power up, so I clear CMOS and then it works on the next boot.

You could try something as simple changing the CMOS battery and then reflashing the current BIOS in a DOS environment. I'm half way stuck wondering if it's time to let go of such old hardware or to pursue a fix.
Since you bought it from me, buddy, were you able to get it back to life?

I haven't had the opportunity to look at it yet, but I did purchase some bios reprogramming hardware during this recent sale. That Z77 motherboard is going to be the first from a pile of motherboards I have that I'll be attempting to fix. I'm hoping to pick up a cheap i3 in the next few weeks to see a bios flash/replacement would fix the issue (I sold your 3770 to a local member a few months ago).

System runs fine for hours to days, until i manually shut down and turn off power switch *electric supply*.

You turn off the power supply > Motherboard forgets settings if the CMOS battery is dead. One reboot later, the bios settings are restored since first reboot had power and second reboot happened without power loss. I think your problem should be solved once you replace the CMOS battery, power on, configure the bios (time, AHCI, boot order etc) and you should be good.

You turn off the power supply > Motherboard forgets settings if the CMOS battery is dead. One reboot later, the bios settings are restored since first reboot had power and second reboot happened without power loss. I think your problem should be solved once you replace the CMOS battery, power on, configure the bios (time, AHCI, boot order etc) and you should be good.
Replaced CMOS battery 2 days ago but same issue. PC is on since yesterday (more then 24 hours) without any issues.
Just replaced monitor power plug with psu power plug and same issues again.

I ll wait till morning to check again.

Last edited:

what exactly is the issue you're facing ? Can you please explain a bit more.

what exactly is the issue you're facing ? Can you please explain a bit more.
When i turn off the PC (Windows 7 64 bit OS).
Turn off power buttons too.
PC will not start.
After doing lot of debugging, I found, I have to unplug power cable going to motherboard, plug the same again.
PC starts now without any problems, can stay proper even for 48+ hours.
Without cutting the power supply, It will start again (the red button on motherboard is lighted).

As soon as power supply is turned off, same issue again. (red button on motherboard is not lighted)

I suspect it to be your ageing motherboard, It must've been resolved by replacing CMOS battery as suggested by Vaibhavyagnik.
Since you've already replaced the battery and PSU power plug, I assume your motherboard is shorted.
May be you're facing issues with your wall socket, try with some other wall socket.

I had somewhat similar experience a couple of months back with my new B550 motherboard.
Here the situation is - it doesn't detects my PCIE soundcard after complete power off from PSU switch, but works when I don't turn off from PSU.

I am unsure what the issue is.
Today after trying to re-plug the motherboard power cable few times, pc did not start.
I kept all things same way (power turned on) for 1+ hours.
Later after re-plug the motherboard, PC started (been 12+ hours now).
Will keep the same ON tonite.

It seems like your mobo is still getting power from psu and is like on standby and not getting switched off fully.....like psu capacitors are still holding the power which they shouldn't after switching off.....used to see this type of problem in old pcs a lot.

When i turn off the PC (Windows 7 64 bit OS).
Turn off power buttons too.
PC will not start.
After doing lot of debugging, I found, I have to unplug power cable going to motherboard, plug the same again.
PC starts now without any problems, can stay proper even for 48+ hours.
Without cutting the power supply, It will start again (the red button on motherboard is lighted).

As soon as power supply is turned off, same issue again. (red button on motherboard is not lighted)
the method that you use to get your pc to boot successfully is actually the official method of gigabyte to force your motherboard to use secondary bios .Most probably your primary bios is corrupt or maybe the chip has gone faulty .Past user of x58 UD5 :) .

And i think your board also has a physical bios switch which you could use to force motherboard to always use your secondary bios .And there should be some option from bios itself to format the primary and flash a new bios .You could also use @bios of gigabyte to achieve the same from windows.

the method that you use to get your pc to boot successfully is actually the official method of gigabyte to force your motherboard to use secondary bios .Most probably your primary bios is corrupt or maybe the chip has gone faulty .Past user of x58 UD5 :) .

And i think your board also has a physical bios switch which you could use to force motherboard to always use your secondary bios .And there should be some option from bios itself to format the primary and flash a new bios .You could also use @bios of gigabyte to achieve the same from windows.
Thanks I did received faulty bios message Atleast 5 times.
Which was restoring the bios from backup bios

I Did not found an option to boot from secondary bios nor an option to flash primary bios

How to manually flash primary or secondary/backup bios? Do we get choice while flashing bios?

Last edited:
Back