Linux Wer do i get drivers for opensuse10.2 in ma acer 4520?

ajo_alex

Disciple
I have installed opensuse on ma acer 4520.. sound drivers n video drivers are not detected... wat do i do? wer do i get em from?
audio is realtek HD and video is nvidia 7000M

1. Why are you using such an old distro..?? I'll suggest you to upgrade.. Not suggesting to hopp to other distro.. openSUSE is a great distro.. Get newer DVD and upgrade it..

2. Open terminal and try running alsaconf or alsamixer to configure your sound card..

3. You can even try Yast to set up sound card.. If that doesn't work try changing the sound driver to OSS..

4 For nvidia drivers download and install Unix Drivers Portal Page

for installation navigate to file .. for eg .. If you have placed the run file @ Desktop he follow this command

Code:
su -

cd /home/<user_name>/Desktop

sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-180.22-pkg1.run

or follow this SUSE howto Nvidia Installer HOWTO for SUSE LINUX users

I will still suggest you to upgrade your systemm .After upgrade your sound card will automatically be detected courtesy latest Alsa ... If you like openSUSE get it from Linux for you or Digit of this month http://www.techenclave.com/open-source/linux-for-you-discussion-thread-123910.html

Dark Star said:
1. Why are you using such an old distro..?? I'll suggest you to upgrade.. Not suggesting to hopp to other distro.. openSUSE is a great distro.. Get newer DVD and upgrade it..

2. Open terminal and try running alsaconf or alsamixer to configure your sound card..

3. You can even try Yast to set up sound card.. If that doesn't work try changing the sound driver to OSS..

4 For nvidia drivers download and install Unix Drivers Portal Page

for installation navigate to file .. for eg .. If you have placed the run file @ Desktop he follow this command

Code:
su -
cd /home/<user_name>/Desktop
sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-180.22-pkg1.run

or follow this SUSE howto Nvidia Installer HOWTO for SUSE LINUX users

I will still suggest you to upgrade your systemm .After upgrade your sound card will automatically be detected courtesy latest Alsa ... If you like openSUSE get it from Linux for you or Digit of this month http://www.techenclave.com/open-source/linux-for-you-discussion-thread-123910.html

i just installed to try out some programming in perl...am using just 20GB... rest is WinXp..
but i will try out the newer version which u said...11.1 is the newer one na? hope it will fix the video issue also, i can't get anythin above 1200 resolution.

Dark Star said:
Have you installed the latest drivers ?

nope :( , no net connection...so will have to adjust till next week...
does the 11.1 DVD have all the drivers? or will it detect the required drivers?

No.. They changed the licenses :) So better opt for Mandriva 2009.0 gnome till you get better net connection.. Might you get in love with it..

Dark Star said:
No.. They changed the licenses :) So better opt for Mandriva 2009.0 gnome till you get better net connection.. Might you get in love with it..

hmm, i really don't want to use linux that much....just for programming perl... apps i use in windows... so i guess it will be easier to upgrade to opensuse 11.1 than to mandriva 2009.0, rite?

also wats the diff b/w this Gnome n KDE? i have seen it while installing Opensuse, they asked to select any of these 2...(Complete NOOB in LINUX Speaking)

if you are installing linux only to try perl programming you can stick to windows by trying "cygwin" and/or "activeperl", if i recall the second name correctly :D just search for "perl for windows" on google you should get good info

well i had activeperl all along with me...damn!!

but anyways ma c/o also uses linux, so i guess it still doesn't harm me in using linux :D

hi guys, i was out of town for a while.. btw i got ma connection back.. if am in ma older version of suse, can i upgrade it via net? instead of burning it and installing? will it upgrade to the latest version? if yes do tell how to do it... thanks

well i have just installed 10.2, so i haven't even installed any app or made changes to any settings so i have no prob if any settings gets changed.. u could say i haven't touched this 10.2....

so will it work? if yes how?

btw, thanks for the quick response

Back