CPU/Mobo Were surge protected motherboards acting up since 12th April 2016 (day before Myanmar Earthquake)?

@vyral_143 I only knew about Cyber Power UPS after I read your comment in @itspriyank's thread about a new UPS.

I might get a simple cyberpower BU1000E-in since I use Reliance Netconnect+ for internet and don't need internet line surge protection. Google doesn't have any results for Cyber Smart UPS but I think that you mean Cyber Power UPS?

Yes I meant CyberPower :p

Apparently the problem of my computer rebooting (I disabled surge protection in the motherboard and it still rebooted) was because I had a new side fan set to exhaust air instead of intake air. Setting the fan to intake air removed most of the reboots except for a couple in the morning when the sun is directly hitting my room. Yesterday, I took the computer to the shop and swapped an iball cabinet for a Cooler Master Force 500 KNN1 cabinet.

Computer didn't reboot today morning (although I did wake up after the sun stopped hitting my room). The iball cabinet was too small to adequately handle the cooling of an ASUS RAdeon R9 270X graphics card and adding a side fan to exhaust air instead of intake air did not help.

I ordered a Noctua 140 mm fan off Amazon since my Cooler Master Sickle Flow X 120 mm case fan is too noisy as an intake fan even though it's relatively quiet as an exhaust fan. If things work out, this case might be able to allow me to safely add the next generation of R9 480 cards releasing this summer.

Last edited:
Many replace a PSU because it is the only part of a power 'system' they understand. It is called shotgunning - replace good parts until something works. The other alternative was to see that defect in minutes. Then only replace the one defective part. And learn why that defect exists. Tiers says little to nothing about PSU defects.

Surge is a word used to describe tens of completely different and unrelated defects. But again, most only use word association to 'know' something. That motherboard is reporting a defect (that exists constantly - even when your computer is working) that exists on DC voltages. That defect has zero relationships to what other are discussing - a surge on AC voltages.

Apparently you have chosen to shotgun. How do you know if a new PSU solved anything? Again, normal is for a defective supply to still boot and run a computer for months. Will a new PSU cure a symptom or solve a problem? Welcome to the two completely different diagnostic procedures. First finds a problem even before a computer crashes or is reported by the Asus software. Later is called shotgunning - keep replacing good parts until something works.

BTW, why do we fix things (not take it to the shop)? To learn even from our mistakes.
Informative post. When a problem like this happens its usually best to diagnose the problem by testing the components one by one.
I thought the problem was with the motherboard because it was a basic H61 board and so I didn't think the surge protection would be reliable.

Back