What are Olympic Bumper Plates?

ajish65

Patron
Calibrated Olympic Bumper Plates from Capital Fitnessh. These were used (with care) for weightlifting training and helped in making a State Gold Medalist.
Extremely sorry for the OT but State Gold Medalist?! Damn! Congratulations! I am consistently surprised by the variety of people that frequent a tech forum.

Also, I genuinely had a question; what's the difference between regular weights and these ones? As in similar amount of kgs. (just not Olympic) is showing about 5K or thereabouts on Amazon, so why should anyone choose this? I guess what I'm asking is, what does the Olympic tag actually mean in this context?

Fair warning, I have absolutely no intention of buying, just curious. Again, sorry for the OT. Please feel free to disregard.

Extremely sorry for the OT but State Gold Medalist?! Damn! Congratulations! I am consistently surprised by the variety of people that frequent a tech forum.

Also, I genuinely had a question; what's the difference between regular weights and these ones? As in similar amount of kgs. (just not Olympic) is showing about 5K or thereabouts on Amazon, so why should anyone choose this? I guess what I'm asking is, what does the Olympic tag actually mean in this context?

Fair warning, I have absolutely no intention of buying, just curious. Again, sorry for the OT. Please feel free to disregard.

The difference is in the thickness of the weight plates as you can see its extremely slim as compared to normal ones which help alot in stacking more weight on a single rod

Also, I genuinely had a question; what's the difference between regular weights and these ones?
These are bumper plates. They can be dropped from a height without damaging the lifting platform. Its made of heavy duty rubber which contain iron/steel core.
When you lift heavy weights above your head, its very important to ditch the weight safely after lifting, so the best way is to drop them, normal plates will either deform or damage the platform.

Haha, no need to apologize. I agree with your sentiment but unfortunately, I'll have to be the bearer of bad news.

I'm not the state gold medalist, that's a very close friend of mine (brother-like) and I'm facilitating the sale on his behalf.

The main difference is in the shape and build quality. Standard plates are generally smaller and fit a smaller bar as well.

These plates fit the 2inch olympic barbell that support much higher weights and are considered safer/easier to handle with higher weights.

Olympic plates are also made to standardized specifications that apply to all international weightlifting competitions. So, if you're training professionally, these are important.

And finally, these are calibrated which means they are weighed dot-to-dot to the international weightlifing federation specifications.

As for the Amazon plates, they will rather quickly fall apart as you may imagine (compared to these).

Haha, no need to apologize. I agree with your sentiment but unfortunately, I'll have to be the bearer of bad news.

I'm not the state gold medalist, that's a very close friend of mine (brother-like) and I'm facilitating the sale on his behalf.

The main difference is in the shape and build quality. Standard plates are generally smaller and fit a smaller bar as well.

These plates fit the 2inch olympic barbell that support much higher weights and are considered safer/easier to handle with higher weights.

Olympic plates are also made to standardized specifications that apply to all international weightlifting competitions. So, if you're training professionally, these are important.

And finally, these are calibrated which means they are weighed dot-to-dot to the international weightlifing federation specifications.

As for the Amazon plates, they will rather quickly fall apart as you may imagine (compared to these).
Thank you for the detailed explanation. And congrats to your friend-brother. :D That's an amazing achievement!

And thanks to whoever moved my post; I was feeling real bad about crapping the thread. Didn't occur to me to do this. I'll try and remember to do so myself if there's ever a next time.

Back