What are the best good Mutual Fund management platforms?

What ARE good options for lumpsum investments? Under 1cr, under 10L and under 1L.

Bank FDs, Co-op Bank/Society FDs, etc. ?

I rely on Private commercial Bank FD's with good returns. HDFC Banks gives 7.3% currently. I don't trust Cooperative banks even if they have slightly better Interest rates.

I usually invest the amount in FD's of 1 Lac chunks for 1 year period. This this gives the max returns and money will also keep coming back each year. So its not getting locked in for long lengths of time. In addition, if I ever need money urgently, I can liquidate required number of FD's in multiples of 1 Lac. Don't need to have the hassle of breaking a 5/10 lac FD and losing interest when I need just 1 Lac.

Govt bonds might also be a good idea if you don't need the money any time soon, but need it to be secured.

Thing that should be noted is that bank FD's have fairly low, but guaranteed returns, but they are also not secured. People often forget this aspect in assuming that they are more safe than mutual funds or stock markets. The max insurance enabled by DICGC is 1 Lac. If you put 10 lac and the bank winds up, you will get only 1 lac back.

Cooperative banks didn't used to have even this guarantee via DICGC earlier, but have later been covered under the same. But I just don't trust cooperative banks because they have far less and loose regulation and indulge in a lot of shady practices. Even saw it in action as my dad invested a small amount in a cooperative bank long back which later shut down. You can lose your money any time.You should not put any money in cooperative banks unless you are ready to risk losing all of it for the prospect of a 1% better interest rate.

Below should put that in perspective.

https://www.moneylife.in/article/cooperative-banks-outright-loot/51463.html

Almost every month, the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) puts out a brief press release announcing the closure of one cooperative bank or the other. Deposit insurance payment data show that Maharashtra has the highest number of cooperative banks going bust. According to one petition, 165 cooperative banks have been shut down in Maharashtra in the past 30 years. These small banks fail with monotonous regularity because of they are under the dual regulation—that of the RBI and the Registrar of Cooperatives. Cooperative banks are usually set up by politicians or their cohorts and RBI does not bother to block their dodgy advances until it is too late for a rescue. Over the past two decades, the only insurance claims paid out by the Deposit Guarantee Insurance Corporation of India (DGICI), a subsidiary of RBI, are on account of cooperative banks. Their hapless depositors get only Rs1 lakh each paid out after the bank is actually liquidated which can take a few years.

That's 165 cooperative banks shut down in 30 years in just one state.

You should also read about Pratibha Patil's Pratibha Mahila Sahakari Bank which took deposits from poor women and went on a spree of loaning large amounts to her own family members and relatives and then waiving or writing them off. RBI stepped in to cancel its license later, but lots of poor people lost their savings. This bank also collected donations in excess of 4550 crore from its employees wages towards helping Kargil victims, but they pocketed the money themselves. Pratibha Patil was probably the most corrupt person to ever become the president of India.

I usually invest the amount in FD's of 1 Lac chunks for 1 year period. This this gives the max returns and money will also keep coming back each year. So its not getting locked in for long lengths of time. In addition, if I ever need money urgently, I can liquidate required number of FD's in multiples of 1 Lac. Don't need to have the hassle of breaking a 5/10 lac FD and losing interest when I need just 1 Lac.

That's kind of how i'm doing it right now. But also using some co-ops. :-/

...Even saw it in action as my dad invested a small amount in a cooperative bank long back which later shut down..

Holy crap, did he actually lose money? Or is there any way to recover it?

You should also read about Pratibha Patil's Pratibha Mahila Sahakari Bank which took deposits from poor women and went on a spree of loaning large amounts to her own family members and relatives and then waiving or writing them off. RBI stepped in to cancel its license later, but lots of poor people lost their savings. This bank also collected donations in excess of 4550 crore from its employees wages towards helping Kargil victims, but they pocketed the money themselves. Pratibha Patil was probably the most corrupt person to ever become the president of India.

Wow, this is news to me.

Holy crap, did he actually lose money? Or is there any way to recover it?

It was a small amount and he took it out before the bank folded. Don't even remember the bank name now, but there are people who lost money in it. My dad was a magistrate with a law degree and doesn't trust anybody or anything easily and he was very cautious when dealing with money.

I want to buy 2 mf's schemes my goal is to make fund for my higher education and one investment goal (gift). Please suggest me two. How much sip do i need every month to reach my goal ( time period is 3yrs(education) (4)yrs investment goal please suggest maximum returns mf's good reputed fund houses!

I want to buy 2 mf's schemes my goal is to make fund for my higher education and one investment goal (gift). Please suggest me two. How much sip do i need every month to reach my goal ( time period is 3yrs(education) (4)yrs investment goal please suggest maximum returns mf's good reputed fund houses!

If you don't have good advisers, stick to index funds (which is what I do these days). If you find this strategy odd, remember that index funds are the only ones openly discussed in the media. And those in power have some interest in keeping it high.

Investing for 3 years, esp for something important like education, may not be a great idea. Too much going on in the world economy right now (including Indian election next year). You will be better off with debt/FD.

Last edited:
^ bro whats the difference between index funds and etf's which is secure and gives good returns. Whats the tracking error? Is it good idea to invest in motilal oswal 100etf. What are your thoughts on tata digital fund.

^ bro whats the difference between index funds and etf's which is secure and gives good returns. Whats the tracking error? Is it good idea to invest in motilal oswal 100etf. What are your thoughts on tata digital fund.

I hope someone more knowledgeable answers these. I am an amateur when it comes to finance.

Index funds are mutual funds with constituents stocks taken from that index. So, their performance will be very similar to that index. For example, A NIFTY IT or Bank fund will have stocks that comprise the those indexes and performance will hence be in line with those indexes. Basically, the Index itself will give an indication of the performance of your fund.

ETF's are entirely different ball game. They are essentially packages having equity, commodities or bonds as constituents and traded on stock exchange just like equity. They will have ticker codes and you can buy or sell them on stock market like you would with stock. No expense ratios and exit restrictions like with mutual funds. For example, A gold ETF invests in gold.

Nobody can advice on which specific funds to go for given the volatility in the market and risk involved in such instruments.. You should do your own research via online resources like value research.

A big no for education goal investment for 3 years. Not even debt fund. No etfs. The risk is not worth it. All can underperform in 3 years at the time of disbursements. No one can predict that.

One option is fd in Shriram finance and such(higher interest than bank with good reputation) if you are not having other income ( ie below taxable bracket). Or invest in name of mother or father if you are in taxable income bracket and either of them isn’t.

For FD's, you should go only for commercial banks even at 1-2% less interest rate. None of the so called finance/chit fund companies are worth taking a risk

Stick to debt mutual funds: liquid or short term.

If you don't have good advisers, stick to index funds (which is what I do these days). If you find this strategy odd, remember that index funds are the only ones openly discussed in the media. And those in power have some interest in keeping it high.

Bro care to explain more about these index funds. I ve done some research on these. What do u mean by those who r in power.. Nifty index fund and sensex fund
Which one r u investing in? Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

Bro care to explain more about these index funds.

I can't see what I can add to LN's answer. Their portfolio mirrors the stated index. Downside!! Everyone knows my stock portfolio :)

What do u mean by those who r in power..

This is harder to explain. The media does a good job of conflating the economy with the stock market. So in a way, the govt is held responsible for the stock market performance. If the Sensex starts to tank, all these journalists start jumping up and down about how the govt has "failed on the economic front". See the number of times Trump brags about the Dow Jones going up after he took over.

Big stock players want the index to high. It represents a faith in the stock market (which translates into more money flowing into stocks which further translates into more cuts for them and their cronies).

Scammers want the sensex to be high (IIRC, Harshad Mehta and his friends had developed sophisticated skills for manipulating the index).

Nifty index fund and sensex fund
Which one r u investing in?

I buy nifty and next fifty. Sensex would be no different from nifty.

Last edited:
^ 1.Which fund house and how does the compounding effect work out in india.. there is no specific info avail on sites.

2.Nse site lists there r currently 17 index funds.

3.How does this compounding thing works in index funds how many years would it take to double triple the amount invested.

There is no interest or compounding with mutual funds. The fund house invests in the stocks (or other instruments depending on the type of fund). Your returns will depends directly on the performance of the underlying instruments. For equity finds, there will be periodic dividends that in growth funds will be reinvested.

There is something called a NAV (Net Asset Value) associated with every mutual fund. For example, if the NAV is Rs 50, when you invest, they will issue units as a multiple of NAV. Lets say you invested 5000 when NAV is Rs 50, you will get 100 units of the mutual fund. The NAV is updated each day based on the performance. Lets say the NAV becomes Rs 55. When you redeem your 100 units at this point, you will get 55 x 100 = 5500. So, 500 is your returns. The key thing to note is that there is a reason why every mutual fund ad on TV or other media issue a disclaimer that Mutual funds are subject to market risks. So, based on market conditions, the NAV could become Rs 45 also. If you redeem during that time, you will get 45 x 100 = 4500 and your returns will be -500.

Depending on the stock selection and market condition, you can get 30-45% returns in one year and negative returns in another. That is why MF investment should be done in small amounts each month via SIP to weather market volatility and gain returns in the long term. If you check the last 1 year performance of any equity fund, most would be with negative returns. If you check the returns of the same funds for the prior year, they may be 20-30%.

Index funds typically comprise of stocks from that index, so their goal will be to closely match or out perform that index. Typically they have less risk than other funds. But higher risks come with possibility of higher returns.

I suggest reading up on how mutual funds work first to understand the risks. After that, open a account on Kuvera which is a free platform. They have a lot of meaning features. You can check what funds people are investing in. performance, key stock composition etc. They also allow you setup your investment goals and suggest funds based on your salary and other profile information.

Of course, all equity funds are high risk. But index funds are not in the same league league of risk as theme/sector based funds. Index funds all fall into the moderately high risk category.

Depends on kind of Funds. Equity funds have higher risk and higher chance of rewards. Debt funds are more stable, but returns seem to be in 8-9% range. Both are better than FD's at this juncture. The returns of Tax saving FD is fully taxable even if you get exemption on principal (subject to 80C limit of 1.5 lac). The interest rate is typically 5.5 - 6.0 %.

A 5 year FD for 1,00,000 @ 6% compounded quarterly will yield 34,685.50 as interest. Assuming you are in 30% tax bracket, you will pay 31.2% effective = 10,821.88 as tax leaving you with returns of Rs 23,863.62.

Even debt funds can give better returns. A high risk high reward equity Fund can yield better returns in a year. For example, below is the returns of L&T Emerging Businesses Fund over last year which is 30.8%. Long term capital gains were not taxable till last year and this year, gains above 1 Lac are taxable @ 10%.

View attachment 74454

Can you provide some good names in which we can invest so that we can get good returns.Just as a begineer through which mutual fund we should start to invest and how long do we have to wait to see the benefit?

Of course, all equity funds are high risk. But index funds are not in the same league league of risk as theme/sector based funds. Index funds all fall into the moderately high risk category.
Just wanted to put it out there as the last few posts seemed to almost suggest that index funds have a risk profile that is comparable to that of debt funds. (What with the talk about the powers-that-be wanting to keep the index propped up). So just wanted to say it for the benefit of new investors.

Just wanted to put it out there as the last few posts seemed to almost suggest that index funds have a risk profile that is comparable to that of debt funds.
Which post suggested that?

I am re-reading the posts and can't figure out how you came to this conclusion.

Last edited:
Back