Linux What are the First things you do after installing Linux (any distro)

MaRKiV

Adept
Ok, so you have been hearing a lot about Linux and browsed through a galaxy of forums and finally chosen a distro.. *buntu or Fedora or Mandriva..

Now, what next? What are the first things u do after installing Linux?

It might be anything and everything... change the resolution, install a new package, :eek:hyeah:

Just post it here! make the list as user friendly as possible.. :D It will help a lot of newbies, who get lost after installing Linux...

Lets help making Linux stronger! :hap2:

So here goes my list (I use Ubuntu so this list is for Ubuntu )

1. Enable restricted extras!

I enjoy music, movies, and what not! the first thing i do is enable restricted extras. This will enable you to play most of the movie and music formats (avi, mpeg, mkv, wmv, mp3... )

CLI
open the Terminal, and execute the following command:
Code:
sudo apt-get install ubuntu-restricted-extras

Using Synaptic
# Go to Applications → Add/Remove...
# Set Show: to All available applications
# Search for ubuntu-restricted-extras and install it

apt:ubuntu-restricted-extras

2. Install Firewall

Ubuntu lacks a built in firewall. first thing as far as security is concerned I install is a firewall, I perfer Firestarter

Simple to install
Code:
sudo apt-get install firestarter

3. Install Micro$oft fonts

This is important if u are working in an official environment. We need to ensure that all the documents follow a standard template.

Code:
sudo apt-get install msttcorefonts && sudo fc-cache -fv

The above command installes the Microsoft core fonts and then reloads the font cache.

apt:msttcorefonts

4. Make your system Up-to-date

# GUI
System > Administration > Update Manager
Then click on “Check†to update the software list first, next, when your done, click on “Install Updates†to install the updates.

# CLI
In the terminal window
Code:
sudo apt-get update
The above command will update the package list

Code:
sudo apt-get upgrade
This command will update the software.

5. Install few Useful softwares

VLC and K3B are the ones i cant live without in Linux

# VLC
GUI
Open Synaptic (System -> Administration -> Synaptic Package Manager). In Settings -> Repositories, make sure you have a "multiverse" repository activated.

Search for vlc and install it. You should also install vlc-plugin-esd, mozilla-plugin-vlc (and libdvdcss2)

CLI
Code:
sudo apt-get install vlc vlc-plugin-esd mozilla-plugin-vlc

# K3b (KDE Burn Baby Burn)

Though I use gnome, I still install k3b, which is (in my opinion) among the best DVD/CD burners around

Code:
sudo apt-get install k3b libk3b3-extracodecs

Note: Since K3b uses Qt GUI toolkit, it has to install a lot of KDE dependencies in Gnome. Installation volume might be large.

6. Use "Windows" Key as "Ubuntu" Key

To reformat the Windows key as Ubuntu key to Show panel menu

System -> Preferences -> Keyboard Shortcuts

Scroll down to the action "Show panel menu" and click on it. (The phrase "New accelerator menu..." will appear).

Now simply press your Windows key once. (You'll see the accelerator now says "Super L"). Select the "Close" option and you'll see that your Windows key now works.

Tip
To uninstall a .deb package. The command to facilitate that is:

Code:
sudo dpkg -r package_name

package_name refers to the package that is to be uninstalled.

Thats all for now!

I would welcome everyone to post in their tips and tricks and any useful stuff in here..

:cool2:

No offence but the guide is irrelevant if you are talking about Linux..

You seems to be confused ! Linux is not Ubuntu. Linux is very vast topic and the distro vary so does their package name.

This guide will only work with ubuntu and its derivatives. I will say please clear the doubts before creating Guides for *Linux* . If this is for ubuntu , then its pretty decent. http://www.techenclave.com/guides-a...efore-using-linux-117029.html?highlight=Linux

Dark Star said:
What are the First things you do after installing Linux (any distro)

Whats with the title.

Thats for people like you who use other distros to put in ur thoughts.. i dint want to restrict it to just Ubuntu.. Since ubuntu isnt linux..

I use ubuntu... I can write only about wat i use...

Setup HAL, Update System, Install ALSA, Xorg, Video Drivers, GNOME+KDE, Firefox, VLC, Codecs, Kdevelop, Eclipse, GCC, Rythmbox etc all daily apps. And customize it. Some development.

Then Finally Build Custom kernels, patches, add new system calls, mod algorithms all crazy tweaking.

@MarkIV: Is there some place you quoted this post from without giving reference - because I have seen a very similar blog post (at least the topic is the same) before :D

I think u have compiled a new list that u felt were most important to you and thought will be useful for others too. Nice work.

Please add Compiz, Emerald, Screenlets, Google Earth and Opera in the main post. Just my 2 cents :D

vishalrao said:
@MarkIV: Is there some place you quoted this post from without giving reference - because I have seen a very similar blog post (at least the topic is the same) before :D

Nevermind :eek:hyeah: it's one of those common "meme"s like lots of people posting their experiences on the same topic, see:

First Thing I Do After Installing Ubuntu / Ubuntu Tutorials : Dapper – Hardy – Intrepid – Jaunty
Sexy Sexy Penguins Meme: First thing I do after installing (insert your distro here)
/kernel_reloaded/

I am a linux n00b.. :ashamed:

Nothing comes on its own.. I too have googled for stuff before installing these things.. so i thought i can do a compilation and put it here for our TE folks... :D

I never thought it would be such a controversial post.. :bleh:

I wanted to learn something new on wat ppl are doing with their *nix installation and thought a little heads up would be a good idea...

Yes! i hv nothing to loose in admitting that you would find all these stuff on the net... I can bet every other solution and resolution made here can be found somewhere else in the net...

I did not code Linux and so didnt any of us here... so if u can find these stuff elsewhere (most certainly you will) or have read it before be happy u have...

If you feel your distro hasnt been featured here, its not that i have something against it, but its because i haven't had a chance to use it... :)

^^^ Relax, distro is nothing but brand stickers with few extra scripts and programs. practically 99% of any distro is GNU/Linux OS or simply Linux in common usage. Don't worry what Dark Star said, he was just in firing mode and also he does not like Ubuntu. Nice thread, you put your efforts good.

Also its not surprising that many people think linux and ubuntu are the same, its because ubuntu is very popular and it attempts to bring linux mainstream that's why.

And from what I have seen, many things that apply for Ubuntu apply for other Distros also, oh well except for few things like installing new apps that is.

Chill :) I was just saying that your post was not correct with respect to Linux. Ubuntu doesn't make Linux, linux makes ubuntu and other distro.

The effort is nice indded but still its needs many things to be worked upon. Those bunch of software doesn't make Ubuntu / or Linux complete.

Apart from that , I have installed and learnt linux by using Ubuntu but I have not till date installed the restricted extra. I think it bloated and has way too many packages.

As far as packages are concerned every distro has packages named differently, maybe there are few exceptions but majority of them are different..

Nice minimal guide ;) Keep adding more info.
Ohh and I don't hate ubuntu :p Its just pathetic ATI driver that keeps on bothering me with Ubuntu :mad:

I install nVidia drivers, emerald, conky, msttcorefonts (including Tahoma), Firestarter, Flash, gyachi, remove heavy font aliasing of Ubuntu thats all I can think of right now.

@MaRKiV: Nice post dude! Nevermind the negative jibes. In case you didn't realized; you were subtly trolled in the last few posts. Did you consult a lawyer before posting :eek:hyeah:! Come on man at 200 odd post your are still a noob here. You can't start such a thread!!!:)

Well first thing I do on whichever distro I install is to look for ATi drivers. They r always easy to find but hard to get working. Facing the same situation again in Open SUSE 11 these days.

I install the usual stuff, but some of the less well-known stuff that I can't do without.

1. etckeeper + git - puts /etc/ under version control. There is nothing that can be as awesome as this. Any changes you make to configuration files can now be viewed in a history at your leisure and you can restore any older versions whenever you feel like.

2. multisync, gui, plugins - allows me to sync my Nokia N73 to Evolution. Good stuff.

3. cheese - web-camera tool

4. gmount-iso, and some nautilus actions - mount an ISO with a right-click, open a terminal wherever you want, convert audio from the GUI, resize/rotate images. Very convenient.

5. CompizConfig Settings Manager - For obvious reasons

1. Strengthen the firewall & Build ATI drivers
2. Add private repos like freshrpms, linva etc.
3. Get some software:
a> Openoffice Suite [Fedora live doesnt ship with it]
b> Istanbul [screen recorder]
c> Inkscape
d> Cinelerra
e> Mplayer, Songbird, VLC
f> Get fonts

Back