Car & Bike What are the formalities when buying a second hand bike?

Grease Monk

Intertoob Ninja & Hamster Hunter Extraordinaire
Adept
Im planning on buying a second hand bike in the next few weeks. Since it's my first automobile purchase in India, I have no clue about proper procedure with regards to transfer of ownership and registration. I'll try and break down my questions into points. My father is a member of the AASI, and I believe the benefits are applicable to me as well, so if any of these steps can be handled through the AASI, It would make things much easier.

1. The bike is registered in the same state, so there will be no issues there. What are the documents I should get from the previous owner when I make the purchase? Also, are there any recommended additional measures I should take when making the purchase (like making the seller sign a letter acknowledging receipt of funds)?

2. What is the work I have to get done in the RTO once I complete the purchase? Something like get a new RC in my name? Tax? Registration? Do I have to be present at the RTO to do this, or can someone do this in my place in case I'm busy at work? Also, how does the pollution check work (PUC)?

2.1. Somewhat related to point 2. I have already found a bike, and the paint is in pretty bad shape, and not to mention its purple :bleh:, so I plan to get it completely painted over. I was checking out the team-bhp forums, and someone in a similar situation was advised to have it painted before getting the new RC book so as to avoid an additional step when declaring that you have made modifications to the vehicle. However, I somehow suspect that this may cause problems when trying to officially transfer ownership at the RTO as the old RC will say its colour is xxx while in actuality the colour is yyy. Im sure this may raise suspicion during the inspection.​

3. Regarding the rule of declaring modifications, how specific is it? Would I have to do it, say, if i change the seat or the silencer? Or only with something thats mentioned in the official description of the vehicle like body colour?

Thats all I can think of for now. Im sure more doubts will crop up when the replies start flowing in. Thanks in advance.

Grease Monk said:
1. The bike is registered in the same state, so there will be no issues there. What are the documents I should get from the previous owner when I make the purchase? Also, are there any recommended additional measures I should take when making the purchase (like making the seller sign a letter acknowledging receipt of funds)?

You have to get the RC Book, Road Tax paper, Insurance papers and Pollution check papers if any is available.

Check the RC for endorsements, if any hypothication to any bank is created, check for the hypothication clearance seal also.

You have to get signature from the seller in a set of form (which you can get from the typists and shops near RTO) which will include a receipt of funds.

2. What is the work I have to get done in the RTO once I complete the purchase? Something like get a new RC in my name? Tax? Registration? Do I have to be present at the RTO to do this, or can someone do this in my place in case I'm busy at work? Also, how does the pollution check work (PUC)?

You have to transfer the ownership of the vehicle in your name (in the RC you got from the seller) Transfer road tax in your name. For this you need not go to RTO in person, you can engage someone (usually the guys near RTO :p, they will do this job for couple of 100s)

2.1. Somewhat related to point 2. I have already found a bike, and the paint is in pretty bad shape, and not to mention its purple :bleh:, so I plan to get it completely painted over. I was checking out the team-bhp forums, and someone in a similar situation was advised to have it painted before getting the new RC book so as to avoid an additional step when declaring that you have made modifications to the vehicle. However, I somehow suspect that this may cause problems when trying to officially transfer ownership at the RTO as the old RC will say its colour is xxx while in actuality the colour is yyy. Im sure this may raise suspicion during the inspection. 3. Regarding the rule of declaring modifications, how specific is it? Would I have to do it, say, if i change the seat or the silencer? Or only with something thats mentioned in the official description of the vehicle like body colour?

You have to notify the RTO about the color change in your vehicle (I suspect, the vehicle you are looking at may not have got the endorsement for the color change to purple :p, if you plan to paint the vehicle in the original color, you may not have to notify the RTO :D)

Major changes in vehicles have to be notified to the RTO and to endoresed in the RC book. (color change is a major change :p for the obvious reasons)

Motor Vehicles Act 1988 Section 52 is the relevant provision for the alteration of vehicle, you can read it here

Laws - Motor Vehicles Act, 1988 Section 52

you can download the relevant forms here Forms in use

you need from No.29 and 30

you can find the details here registration

Thanks for the detailed info gmano! It reminded me of another doubt i had. I just got my motorcycle LLR a few days ago, and will be applying for my full fledged licence in april. Is it legal for me to buy and transfer ownership of the motorcycle before i get the licence?

Grease Monk said:
Thanks for the detailed info gmano! It reminded me of another doubt i had. I just got my motorcycle LLR a few days ago, and will be applying for my full fledged licence in april. Is it legal for me to buy and transfer ownership of the motorcycle before i get the licence?

You don't need to have a driving license to own a vehicle in your name :p (owning and driving are two different things is int it? :p)

Out of curiosity(as its painted in pink), whats the model of the vehicle you are planning to get?

Its a royal enfeild campus. Its production stopped just before the release of the electra. Its just a std 350 with a different paintjob from the factory. That probably explains the weird colour ;)

Bumping up an age old thread. Just wanted to share some pics of what I finally ended up with...after a little work.

Again, a big shout out to gmano for all the help!

^^ I went through the FAQs there already; I was looking for something like a first-hand account.

pepps3484 said:
if interested in teaching...you can join Tutorvista.com - Online Tutoring, Tutoring, Online Tutor, Math Tutoring, Tutoring Services .....One of my friend is doing and its a respectable job
Thanks for the useful link. TutorVista looks good, but I cannot try that for the following reasons:

1. I'm not sure if I'm really qualified teach Biology or other sciences.
2. It demands at least 4 hrs of commitment everyday, which is almost like a full-time job after my regular job. I'll appreciate any option that also gives me flexible timing.

25k for the bike.

2+k to get most of the mechanical work in order (a little more work still needs doing)

8.5k for the seat and paintjob.

Thanks all.

@ gannu: its almost 10 years old. Definitely shows its age when i go for long rides with my friends on their japs. But it always puts a smile on my face when I ride back from work in the middle of the night with no one on the streets.

And btw, SILENCE! I SQUISH YOU!

Back