Car & Bike What are your thoughts on the ola electric scooter?

Looks like we have to be careful about some of these newer companies, else they'll pull a Freedom 251

It appears these manufacturers are trying to carve out a niche by selling them as lifestyle products than a practical scooters.

We'll see more options in the coming years.

- I don't want some software to dictate my riding. If I want to go fast, I cant sit in the middle of the road to enable some wrap drive for an extra XX kmph.
These companies think that everyone wants to use software ... Hell No. Normal Indian customer will consider everything specially aftersale and services. I am thinking to retire my 20yr old TVS Victor but its still in very good shape and I can't imagine these EV's to be anywhere close after 20yrs. What about accidents?
WIll wait probably 2~3 yrs more and I am sure my trustworthy Victor will easily survive :D

I know it's OT, but boy TvS Victor was one hell of a bike back in the days which I believe started the bike revolution along with HH Splendor. Surprised you still have it in one piece. Keeping it as a Souvenir :cool:

I know it's OT, but boy TvS Victor was one hell of a bike back in the days which I believe started the bike revolution along with HH Splendor. Surprised you still have it in one piece. Keeping it as a Souvenir :cool:
I am keeping it for sure and its rock solid when it comes to Engine, Original piston and rings still in tact and this baby starts in one kick :) Just recently accelerator wire jammed and now I can't find it anywhere so have to make a visit to company and get a new one and even after 20yrs we have parts available, Just imagine if that is the case with these EV's even if they somehow survive 20yrs

Looks like we have to be careful about some of these newer companies, else they'll pull a Freedom 251

We'll see more options in the coming years.

many people have been speculating it ever since simpleone was shown off. they even changed specs on their site to match ola scooter once it was unveiled

If we live in big societies with multi storey building how do we charge these vehicles? We need to get permission from Resident Welfare Association (RWA) or sometimes the RWA does not allow charging point to be installed in common area. Most of those governing the RWA think that they are SC court judges and make arbitrary rules to their whims and fancy. The article is an example on the difficulty of charging the electric vehicle if you are in a multi storey building.

I am waiting for this tech to crawl up into good cars. My commute is about 70kms round trip everyday. Adds up to a lot in fuel bills.

Couple of things

1) The double standards by these auto journalists. They never reported common issues seen on Hyundai or VW’s but immediately speak up when they are not paid.

2) Only yesterday while riding on NICE road (the only clean road in all of blore) at 60kph. A wooden plank impaled my scooter’s underbody leaving a 2inch wide gash. (Pic below) I can only imagine this happening on an electric scooter with a hole in its battery.

Attachments

• 68D50D91-8F68-4DF5-84CA-89642871786A.jpeg
    68D50D91-8F68-4DF5-84CA-89642871786A.jpeg
    430.3 KB · Views: 89
Last edited:
It has becomes very hard to trust those reviewers, be it from any domain. You just don't know what kind of deal goes behind the scenes. You are either left on your own or from someone you know for a genuine feedback.

I can only imagine this happening on an electric scooter with a hole in its battery.
Pretty much possible. While I am sure Ola would do some intense scrutiny , I doubt it would release the fact-finding report in the public domain mentioning the reasons to allure apprehensions. Given the cut-throat competition and the razor thin margins makes companies cut corners. I might be jumping the gun, but just imagine if you have a kid sitting at the rear, you get down to purchase something and the next thing you know is that bike is on fire..
Gives me chills.

I was looking for an electric 2 wheeler for my father. On Sunday we went to test drive below 3
  1. Ather 450
  2. TVS iqube
  3. Okinava ipraise+
I selected the above 3 only since these are the best options available in my city under category "power electric scooters".

TVS iqube test ride experience:
Went to TVS showroom first. Salesperson explained all basic features of iqube and gave us test ride vehicle which already had around 5k km clocked on it.
5k km already on odo, we thought that this will be a better test ride vehicle compared to a new one with less km driven.
My father instantly liked it after riding, TVS iqube shared very familiar looks to his existing Activa, and this was the major reason he liked it in the first look.

Okinawa iPraise+
Next was Okinawa iPraise+, it was unfortunate for both Okinawa and us that they still hadn't opened their showroom even at 12 pm after confirming 11:30 time to us.

Ather 450x test ride experience:
We then decided to go to Ather's showroom. We had best experience in Ather's showroom among the two. They were all very knowledgeable people, explained every bit of technical stuff after asking us why we want to go electric.

They gave us test ride vehicle after getting us signed indemnity form (TVS people didn't do any formalities, they just handed over the vehicle to us).
Ather people even asked us to drive in our worst way possible by keeping all safely stuff in mind. We rode it and liked it, but didn't see much difference in power compared to iqube.

Final verdict:
My father had already decided TVS iqube in his mind due to it's looks and practicality. He asked me to book it. Showroom people promised one month delivery date, even when online it showed end of May 2022.

Are you guys not worried at all, that these are first gen products by the respective companies. Especially, when the batteries are going to be pretty expensive to change and early deterioration of batteries means that the vehicles will be more or less unusable.
If India had more consumer friendly laws and environment, I would have been a lot more comfortable betting on such first gen products, but we all know how badly consumers are treated in India.

Are you guys not worried at all, that these are first gen products by the respective companies. Especially, when the batteries are going to be pretty expensive to change and early deterioration of batteries means that the vehicles will be more or less unusable.
If India had more consumer friendly laws and environment, I would have been a lot more comfortable betting on such first gen products, but we all know how badly consumers are treated in India.
Ather is around 3 years old now.. and soon they are launching next-gen scooter.

Their customer service is worst than any govt agency. My friend paid Rs 20000 as booking advance more than 3 months back but he never got any response from ola as they simply will update they will get back in 24 hrs which they never do. Probably after so many such incidents it might be the end of the road for ola scooter.

Guys just stay away from Ola till they get their shit straight. They are rushing production just to not piss off their investors' patience even more and this is the result. So much shit going on with Ola right now even the govt had to intervene to stop the production of all EV's till they finish their investigation.

Guys just stay away from Ola till they get their shit straight. They are rushing production just to not piss off their investors' patience even more and this is the result. So much shit going on with Ola right now even the govt had to intervene to stop the production of all EV's till they finish their investigation.
Government has not asked to stop production fo all EVs. They have instructed all companies not to release new models. But yes, this is not at all a good time to buy an Ola (or any other EV). It is like a lottery. You may get a scooter that just works or you may get a scooter that has lot of issues. Service seems to be a major pain right now.

If you really want to buy an EV and are desperate, if you can live with <85kms range, close your eyes and get the Ather 450X. If it is not urgent, wait for Ather's upcoming long range EV (coming by end of the year)

Back