PC Peripherals What could possible be the reason for high temp, AMD PII X4 965

luckyishere

Disciple
Hello,

Just encountered a weird problem..Lemme explain how it all started. Before that the specs

AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition
Cooler Master Hyper 212+
MSI 790GX-G65
Corsair HX850
MSI HD4870 512
G.Skill 2x2GB 1600MHz
WD 1TB Green
Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 500MB
2 Delta High Flo Fans120CFM 120MM
5 Amigo LED fans 120MM

A week ago my old CM extreme power 600 PSU went dead and eventually system shutdown. In a few seconds i figured out PSU went dead and i ordered a new one..With the old PSU, Hardware monitor's figures were a little weird when it came to voltages but was find with the temperature..

Voltage on +5 rail was normal but the voltages on +3 and +12 were very low..on +12 it was arnd 9.5 Volts...I thought may be i am pushing PSU too much that's why..and CPU temp. was like 44C on normal room temp.

so i ordered Corsair HX850, installed it today and guess what CPU temp was like 62C on room temperature and wasn't going down at all even with the fan at full flow...and Voltages were still abnormal like before...I also checked in AMD Overdrive utility and it shows the same..Other temp. in HW monitor are fine like GPU,HDD etc..

Please help !! What could possible be the reason for this? I am scared as i have heard that This AMD CPU shudn't go beyond 62C or it will fry:(

Re: AMD too hot !! Its weird

Well not surprising about the CM Extreme Power PSUs but with the HX850 this is weird .....

1. Is your motherboard on the latest BIOS?
2. Checked all the power connections?
3. Is the inside dusty?

post a screenshot of hwmonitor

seems like issue with temp and voltage sensing.

have you tried updating bios?

also, check the Vcore for the chip with cpu-z .. both at idle and at load.

RD274 said:
Well not surprising about the CM Extreme Power PSUs but with the HX850 this is weird .....

1. Is your motherboard on the latest BIOS?

2. Checked all the power connections?

3. Is the inside dusty?
Mobo is on the latest Bios...All the power connections are absolutely fine according to me coz i connected them fresh....Inside isnt dusty at all..its superclean...

I will sure check the Vcore value after i reach home in arnd 2 hrs..

What do u guys think? could be time for new layer of thermal paste..But its hardly 8 months since i assembled it all as new :( I am worried

post a screenie of hwmonitor.

it may just be an issue with sensors.

also make sure that cpu fan speed is not less than what it should be..in other words, disable Q-fan / SmartFan from Bios..

i generally change paste every 2months.. but that is just because i clean pc every 2months and change paste everytime the hsf is removed.

Sure i will post Both HW stats and Cpuid stats...Quite fan is disabled in bios and fan is at arnd 2050 RPM...the problem is 62C is on an idle condition with all case fans at full flow :(

Also if by any chance it could be the wiring issue what all cables need to be checked?

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

Here are the screen shots

amdn.jpg

One, your cpu v is very high for those speeds and secondly, it looks like the mount for your cooler is a bit screwed up. This can happen specially when putting in a new psu as it requires a lot of movement of other parts as well.

you Vcore is way deviated from the default.

it should be like .1V lower for that chip.

correct the same in bios, do not always leave things to auto, recently we have come across a handful of boards which overvolt the cpus in auto mode... it may just be that cm 600w not capable of supplying that much voltage in the 1st place :p

also reseat the cooler after having replaced the paste as advised by everyone.

madnav said:
you Vcore is way deviated from the default.

it should be like .1V lower for that chip.

correct the same in bios, do not always leave things to auto, recently we have come across a handful of boards which overvolt the cpus in auto mode... it may just be that cm 600w not capable of supplying that much voltage in the 1st place :p

also reseat the cooler after having replaced the paste as advised by everyone.

He has moved to HX 850 so the power supply problem can be ruled out.

Just reseat the motherbvoard power cables also once again.

I hope you have installed both 20+4 Power Cable & the 4 or 4+4 ATX power cables

Even If after using a good thermal paste & re seating the CPU, the idle temps are not in the low 30's then he should give the CPU for RMA.

I faced the same problem & had to RMA my CPU

It's because the fan on your old psu was on all the time, exhausting hot air from the case.
The fan on your corsair will only come on at about 70-80% psu load...ie when your systems consuming ~550-600 watts...hence the higher temps.
Try adding 1 more exhaust fan behind the cabinet, and see if that helps.

Also, it doesn't look like you've got cool'n quiet enabled. Enable it and you'll see a huge drop in idle temps.

Your voltages are also way off...try using another utility..maybe the one that came with your m/b, or check your bios and see if the 12v line is still showing 9.45v. If it is, there may be a problem with the voltage sensors on your m/b.

ur processors vcore should be around 1.2.64v to 1.3v & u r way above those volts..... bt still those temps are high as for hyper 212 plus...

shravank30 said:
He has moved to HX 850 so the power supply problem can be ruled out.

Just reseat the motherbvoard power cables also once again.

I hope you have installed both 20+4 Power Cable & the 4 or 4+4 ATX power cables

Even If after using a good thermal paste & re seating the CPU, the idle temps are not in the low 30's then he should give the CPU for RMA.

I faced the same problem & had to RMA my CPU
read again.

i said cm 600 was not able to provide that much voltage even at voltage = auto mode..thus the cpu was not heating up. now that HX850 is capable, it is providing whatever that the board is demanding at auto.

I tried lowering down the voltage however my mobo doesnt allow me to change it manually..Its kinda locked along with some other features..I cannot change any voltages in Bios..Can someone help in unlocking this thing in Bios?

Also i tried to change the voltage in AMD Overdrive and it only allowed me to change from 1.448V to 1.440V :(

Also i tried the Prime95 stress test and even under stress the temperatures are still the same..thats weird again..

Now when i reboot the PC and went into Bios the CPU temp. was 48C which was normal..Is it like HW monitor is showing weird figures? If yes how do we fix it? also is there any other utility available to check these figures?

Also these are the voltage figures from BIOS

+3 = +3.296

+5 = +5.016

+12 = 11.968

Which is a good Thermal paste avalaible easily? Also which is the best method to apply the thermal paste..On te internet there are several ways, so i am kinda confused..Also if possible please post a link wherein i can learn it step by step through pictures.

All the responses are greatly appreciated !! thanks guys

I don't think you need to reseat the cpu.

Change your hardware monitoring program...it looks like CPUID HW monitor is giving you wrong readings.

Enable cool n' quiet, and your idle temps will be lower than the 48 degrees you're seeing in the bios.

you must e trying to change voltage in hardware monitoring section under bios.
it is listed under tweak/overclocking.
select overclock profile = manual and set parameter.
if that is complicated then the motherboard utility and driver disk contains T-Overclocker Utility, install it and set the voltage manually.
if you still cant get along with T-Overclocker utility.

alternatively, you can use AMD Overdrive utility to set voltages in advanced mode.
Beware, PC will restart if you try changing voltages and multipliers while in Balanced/Power Saving mode. The PC must be running in Performance Mode under your OS irrespective of Cool and Quiet status under Bios (you can leave it enabled under bios.)

I tried with AMD overdrive with performance control but it doesnt let me lower down the voltage lower than 1.440V..I will try the T-Overclocker utility as well..If there's a problem with the sensor what can we do abt it? where is it located?

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

Tried lowering down the voltage using Overclocker utility of MSI..made it 1.345V..still the temperatures were same..I am getting worried now..Which Thermal paste to buy?

Back