What DAC To Buy?

What about Connectivity & Inputs / Usage with - Headphone or Speakers ?

Anyways few of them are :

1.MF VDAC II ( Good but but out of budget @ 350$ )
Has Inputs = Coax( 24Bit/192 ) , USB( 24Bit /96 ) , Optical( 24Bit/96 )

2.Audinst HUD MX1 USB DAC ( Sub 10K Rs , Hifimart )
3.AudioEngine D1 Premium ( 150~160$ )
4.ODAC ( JCB's ODAC cost 150$ JDS Labs - Store - DACs )
This one is DIY kit with work in progress.

Mind taking DIY Route with kits ?

Connectivity - For HeadPhones & Bookshelf Speakers.
Another Question, is HIFIMArt reliable?

Also, please suggest a good pair of Bookshelf Speakers or On Floor Speakers.

@JayMathers,
Hifimart appears to be quite reliable, many forum members on hifivision are quite satisfied with the service and the prices are good too.
The ODAC is available, fully built from JDS labs, Epiphany audio and Audio Poutine on Facebook.
There are many other products available. It would be much more better if you post detailed requirements, expectations.

Its the same for your speaker query. Are you looking for active speakers? Or passive? Do you already have an amp? Which one? How big is the room you wil be using it in? Budget>? Where can you purchase it from?

Last edited by a moderator:
@JayMathers,
Hifimart appears to be quite reliable, many forum members on hifivision are quite satisfied with the service and the prices are good too.
The ODAC is available, fully built from JDS labs, Epiphany audio and Audio Poutine on Facebook.
There are many other products available. It would be much more better if you post detailed requirements, expectations.

Its the same for your speaker query. Are you looking for active speakers? Or passive? Do you already have an amp? Which one? How big is the room you wil be using it in? Budget>? Where can you purchase it from?

The picture about the speakers is that I will be moving to my new house soon, and have a dedicated entertainment room. Furnishing will start coming month so want to put in all with it. Budget will be around 70k and I have nothing what so ever, say no amp and stuff.
One thing I want to convey is that I do not believe in anything beyond 2.1 as it limits seating area. Would love to go for either a bookshelf config or a powerful 2.1 config. My choice of brand are Denon, Bose, Jamo, Yamaha.
Anything you suggest is most welcome. Also, as these things will be installed in India, I want to buy in India. Though I can carry an amp from Canada if it is less then 75% of value in India, if not then its not worth it.

Room size is 18'x14'x12'.

Ok, since it's an entertainment room, do you have freedom of positioning the speakers? I mean, this is especially valid with floorstanders, you will have to give it clearance all around, as in from side walls and back wall.
I guess these are going to used for movies as well as music? What kind of music do you listen to?
Even the other day I was listening to a friends 2.0 set up with psb b6 bookshelves(on stands) and nad c326 amp. Lovely for music and pretty good for movies, but no it wont make the room shake for your hollywood trigger happy hero escapades.
So if that is a concern, you can go for 2.1 set up, like Wharf 9.1 with matching sub partnered with an entry level integrated amp from CA, Marantz etc

Hifimart is very reliable site and they have good prices among all other e-retailers.
DAC - Choose from the last 3 if on very tight budget or else go for MF VDAC II.

You got decent room size and for that size you either need high SPL speakers(93-97dB+) or need to have seating arrangement close to speakers ( be it BS or FS ) for 2 or 2.1 set up.
If 70K for full setup or just for Speakers ?

Could you please state following :
1. Set up required for - Music / Home Theater or both ?
2. Source of Music / Movies - CD player ....PC..../ Blue Ray's..DVD's ...others ?
3. Dedicated room is basement or normal room with windows ?

Ok So:

1. I have the freedom to put the speakers, so should not have any issues with that.
2. I am more into Rock, Punk & Metal, Occasional Hip-Hop & Pop Punch, So need the bass to be crisp, but not pounding.
3. Yes this will be for Movies & Music, Both.
4. The 2.1 Setup is what I am inclined towards.
5. As its an apartment in a Muti-Rise, hence want decent and not too loud Sound, Though The Irony Is that for Clearer Sound you need High Output Equipments.
6. Source will be an HTPC.
7. The room is at the 22nd Floor :).

A request is that please advice me the items with the links so that i can just go in and shop out.

GODSPEED

Breaking up budget Speakers ( 30 K Rs ) + AMP ( 27 K Rs ) + DAC ( 10K Rs) + Interconnects ( 3 K Rs )
Assuming you got soundcard in HTPC which is good enough to act as low level DAC , hence freeing up budget for amount which you can put into nice speakers or AMP.
For Music i would advice first get pair of speakers then add a sub depending upon your needs as good quality sub will consume budget of of speaker alone.Hence add it later on.
Most cheap FS will be outdone by high priced BS.PSB B5 will be my choice with NAD AMP.

Soundcard - STX
or DAC as given above.

Speakers :
1. MS Aviano 2 (BS) - ~22K Rs ( Best bang for movies + music , preferred in multi channel setup's )
2. PSB B5 (BS) - 25 K rs
3. Sonodyne Sonus 2605 (FS) -26K Rs , they also have sub's in range of 15-25K Rs .. ( VFM and too good to avoid as it's FS and will knock out every possible BS in its price range, Indian made )
4. Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 /10.2 - ~ 18K Rs -25K Rs
5. Lyrita Harmony 2 - 23 K Rs ( Check prices for it )
6. Kef Tsi500 ( FS ) - 40 K Rs

I generally don't like Polk speakers as they are over priced so not recommending them.Audioengine A5/A5+ doesn't produce punchy bass

AMP :
1. CA Azur 550A - 27K Rs
2. Nad c316 - 23K Rs
3. Marantz 5004/6004 -16.5 K Rs /31K Rs
4. Norge 2060/1000 - 10K Rs /13 K Rs( Indian brand , Pure VFM )

Every speaker sounds different with different AMP's so audition them.Following pair of speakers and amp go well :
1.Lyrita Harmony 2 + Lyrita's valve amp ( Pure classic sound with details )
2.NAD + MS Aviano 2 ( Good sound )
3.CA 550A + MS Aviano 2 ( Tight Bass )
4.NAD + PSB B5/Wharf's 10.1 -10.2 ( Punchy Bass )
5.Marantz + Wharf's 10.1/10/2 ( Sweet sound )
6.Norge + Norge millenium speakers.

Interconnects and cables :
MX cables for Digital coax/optical/rca cables/hdmi cables.
MDR Electronics - MX Electronics - Home Theater Cables & Connectors - Computers & Laptop Accessories - Pro Audio / Studio Audio Cables & Connectors - Audio Video Components & Accessories - Fiber Optic Component & Accessories - Cable TV Component & Ac

For auditions :
1) PSB b5 + NAD c316 ........... Lakozy, Lajpat Nagar
2) Wharfedale + Marantz/NAD ......... Bass & treble, Gurgaon (Denny Joseph)
3) Lyrita Harmony2 + Lyrita amp ...... (see Google ... Mr. Viren, Sarita Vihar)
4) MS Aviano2 + CA Azur ............... FXe ... 40/46 C.R Park
5) Paradigm Monitors ..................... Gemini, C.P

Online sites:
Home - BAJAAO - Buy online and Review Musical Instruments, Pro Audio, Studio, P.A. Audio Equipment in India
India's audio video home theatre and hi-fi shopping mart
Profx - Advanced Audio Solutions
http://www.hifimart.com

Breaking up budget Speakers ( 30 K Rs ) + AMP ( 27 K Rs ) + DAC ( 10K Rs) + Interconnects ( 3 K Rs )
Assuming you got soundcard in HTPC which is good enough to act as low level DAC , hence freeing up budget for amount which you can put into nice speakers or AMP.
For Music i would advice first get pair of speakers then add a sub depending upon your needs as good quality sub will consume budget of of speaker alone.Hence add it later on.
Most cheap FS will be outdone by high priced BS.PSB B5 will be my choice with NAD AMP.

Soundcard - STX
or DAC as given above.

Speakers :
1. MS Aviano 2 (BS) - ~22K Rs ( Best bang for movies + music , preferred in multi channel setup's )
2. PSB B5 (BS) - 25 K rs
3. Sonodyne Sonus 2605 (FS) -26K Rs , they also have sub's in range of 15-25K Rs .. ( VFM and too good to avoid as it's FS and will knock out every possible BS in its price range, Indian made )
4. Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 /10.2 - ~ 18K Rs -25K Rs
5. Lyrita Harmony 2 - 23 K Rs ( Check prices for it )
6. Kef Tsi500 ( FS ) - 40 K Rs

I generally don't like Polk speakers as they are over priced so not recommending them.Audioengine A5/A5+ doesn't produce punchy bass

AMP :
1. CA Azur 550A - 27K Rs
2. Nad c316 - 23K Rs
3. Marantz 5004/6004 -16.5 K Rs /31K Rs
4. Norge 2060/1000 - 10K Rs /13 K Rs( Indian brand , Pure VFM )

Every speaker sounds different with different AMP's so audition them.Following pair of speakers and amp go well :
1.Lyrita Harmony 2 + Lyrita's valve amp ( Pure classic sound with details )
2.NAD + MS Aviano 2 ( Good sound )
3.CA 550A + MS Aviano 2 ( Tight Bass )
4.NAD + PSB B5/Wharf's 10.1 -10.2 ( Punchy Bass )
5.Marantz + Wharf's 10.1/10/2 ( Sweet sound )
6.Norge + Norge millenium speakers.

Interconnects and cables :
MX cables for Digital coax/optical/rca cables/hdmi cables.
MDR Electronics - MX Electronics - Home Theater Cables & Connectors - Computers & Laptop Accessories - Pro Audio / Studio Audio Cables & Connectors - Audio Video Components & Accessories - Fiber Optic Component & Accessories - Cable TV Component & Ac

For auditions :
1) PSB b5 + NAD c316 ........... Lakozy, Lajpat Nagar
2) Wharfedale + Marantz/NAD ......... Bass & treble, Gurgaon (Denny Joseph)
3) Lyrita Harmony2 + Lyrita amp ...... (see Google ... Mr. Viren, Sarita Vihar)
4) MS Aviano2 + CA Azur ............... FXe ... 40/46 C.R Park
5) Paradigm Monitors ..................... Gemini, C.P

Online sites:
Home - BAJAAO - Buy online and Review Musical Instruments, Pro Audio, Studio, P.A. Audio Equipment in India
Profx - Advanced Audio Solutions

Dude, you are an Angel and Huge Asset to TE.
Thanks a ton for your inputs, I will buy once i am back in India.

GODSPEED

@JayMathers

If in American /Euro landmass....you got to get DIY ready kits with Vifa / Dayton / Scan Speak drivers.Just assemble them and you are good to kick in some dirty bass.
In case you increase your budget to about 100K ( sorry for that ) you can get some serious Pro - Audio setup kit's which i am pretty sure you will never ever need to upgrade.
Consumer grade speakers are overpriced in comparison with pro audio and they are least efficient plus sensitivity is very poor.
Best speakers are DIY speakers with pro audio drivers and they cost peanuts when compared with same configuration/specifications of consumer grade speakers.

For Pro-Audio : Pispeaker's 3pi or 4pi speakers.
Pi Speakers - unmatched quality and state-of-the-art performance

Check this sites:
Parts Express: the #1 source for audio, video & speaker building components
Madisound Speaker Components: distributor of loudspeaker drivers and parts for speaker builders.

Back