What device would you recommend to blow clean the accumulated dust on a MoBo and elsewhere within a desktop cabinet?

swanmoon

Recruit
Dear Folks,

I have come to realize that fine dust accumulated on my motherboard and elsewhere within the desktop cabinet has been the cause of performance problems.

The general advice on the web about dust removal is never to vacuum it (because of the potential for static discharge) but to blow the dust away instead.

Mine is an ASUS Prime A320M-K AM4 uATX Motherboard within a Corsair cabinet and powered by a Corsair power supply.

I intend to purchase an air blower to remove the dust from within the desktop cabinet.

Would you be kind enough to suggest a suitable device, that is reasonably priced, with information on where I could buy it online, please?

Thank you.

Any good blower can do the job. I personally use a vacuum cleaner twice a year though as blowing the dust around is something I do not prefer unless one has a big balcony or a backyard or terrace to do so.

Anyone who has bought an anti static brush and can give a recommendation? Looks like it would be handy to have in the house if it works. Often the fine dust just doesn't want to come off even with strong air blowing on it.

Anyone who has bought an anti static brush and can give a recommendation? Looks like it would be handy to have in the house if it works. Often the fine dust just doesn't want to come off even with strong air blowing on it.
The fine dust you are referring to, won't come off with any brush alone, it needs some form of liquid, if the dust is on the fan fins then water is enough, but if it's on the motherboard then you need isopropyl alcohol, put it on the kimtech wipes and wrap the wipe on to the anti-static brush tip, then use the brush on the surface, while the wipe is wet it will pick up all the dust, making it look brand new.

Another faster way is spread the wipe onto the motherboard, drop isopropyl on the wipe, then use the brush on it. You'll notice the wipe getting dirty when the isopropyl dries out, also it dries out real fast, so you have to be quick with the brushing.

The wipes will often tear while brushing, you have to keep using new wipes, very time consuming process but it works.

A blunt option that has worked through the years for me was a set of paint brushes , some fines ones to fit through crevices and a broader one for everything else. Although not ideal never had a problem with these in 10 years

dip the whole motherboard in there.
You can wash the motherboard with water and dish soap and then dunk it in IPA to make the water evaporate faster. Or wash it in deionized/distilled water and then you don't need to worry about the water spots. Use something to blow-dry the motherboard completely. Or wait for a day to let it dry on its own.

Don't wash any moving parts, as they are difficult to dry and you'd end up removing the lubricants. Wipe them clean with IPA or a non-conducting contact cleaner.

Anything similar for cleaning smudges on laptops with non-metallic body?
Don't know, if it can't be cleaned with a simple wipe, I doubt it can be cleaned with anything else, for example if you notice any non metallic plastic track pads on any laptop, it will get smudges overtime, and it can not be restored.

My ASUS laptop have a very thin heat sink fins.. which are attached to the heat pipe for cooling the Processors. I am always worried touching these fins but thinking of removing this big dust from them. I will try to clean as they definitely degrade the laptop performance. I noticed good amount of performance increase when I cleaned my Dell Optiplex motherboard and grills.

The fine dust you are referring to, won't come off with any brush alone, it needs some form of liquid, if the dust is on the fan fins then water is enough, but if it's on the motherboard then you need isopropyl alcohol, put it on the kimtech wipes and wrap the wipe on to the anti-static brush tip, then use the brush on the surface, while the wipe is wet it will pick up all the dust, making it look brand new.

Another faster way is spread the wipe onto the motherboard, drop isopropyl on the wipe, then use the brush on it. You'll notice the wipe getting dirty when the isopropyl dries out, also it dries out real fast, so you have to be quick with the brushing.

The wipes will often tear while brushing, you have to keep using new wipes, very time consuming process but it works.
Technically you can use distilled water but why take the chance. Only do so if you have a few days worth of available time so it can dry off naturally. Best way to clean the motherboard is what you said, isopropyl alcohol spray and a soft brush (SOFT BRUSH = VERY IMPORTANT). A few rounds of this process will make the motherboard like new.

But since that's a lot of work and I'm the lazy kind I use painting brush (its long and sleek, just what you need to reach those pesky corners.

Back