What do you think of present India's broadband scene?

Consistency is key here. ACT has disconnected at crucial times for me (online meets) and it's very annoying. A lot of ISPs in India struggle with that. I should also mention that sometimes, it varies from place to place.

Can't be South Korea or Romania because people are stupid with no common sense. There are still discussion taking place every now and then why people use broadband when Jio Bholte is there. I used to reply from time to time but morons don't deserve any replies.
You've put my point. Most of them are like "Hamare liye 2GB daily bas hain aur har ek ke phone pe 4G hai"

I was like - 4G is not for your regular p2p or entertainment. It's an high load on wireless networks spoiling experience for users who have need for high bandwidth for proper use.

Thanks to Work from home, That impression has changed up to some extent in both rural and urban.

Consistency is key here. ACT has disconnected at crucial times for me (online meets) and it's very annoying. A lot of ISPs in India struggle with that. I should also mention that sometimes, it varies from place to place.
ACT is literally Effd up right now. Poor customer support and occasional disconnections are a serious PITA and inconvenience for some people who are in to serious work.

Finally consistency with Jio. Connections which don't break. After 20 years of suffering some respite.

Life is good.
Hey! What plan are you on and what is your usage?

I lucked out and got grandfathered in to Spectra's (up to) 1 gbps plan in Delhi, so I'm sitting pretty. I'm just waiting for the day they try and force me to switch to a new plan (they've eliminated all true unlimited plans).

I think the main problem currently is that apart from Airtel (who have pre-existing transit agreements) and Jio (who are throwing money like nobody's business because they don't have to pay back loans and got spectrum in a scam) most of the ISPs don't have solid transit agreements with global ISPs. Most people are using internet for streaming services, which bypass transit agreements because Netflix/Google/etc. have tie-ups with most ISPs and have their content boxes in ISP datacentres, so whatever speed you pay for you'll get a good experience as long as the quality of the line to you is not bad.

E.g. my so-called 1Gbps Spectra connection can barely hold a hundred megs of bandwidth to a US server, whereas I can get the same or better on an ACT 100Mbps connection.

I lucked out and got grandfathered in to Spectra's (up to) 1 gbps plan in Delhi, so I'm sitting pretty. I'm just waiting for the day they try and force me to switch to a new plan (they've eliminated all true unlimited plans).

I think the main problem currently is that apart from Airtel (who have pre-existing transit agreements) and Jio (who are throwing money like nobody's business because they don't have to pay back loans and got spectrum in a scam) most of the ISPs don't have solid transit agreements with global ISPs. Most people are using internet for streaming services, which bypass transit agreements because Netflix/Google/etc. have tie-ups with most ISPs and have their content boxes in ISP datacentres, so whatever speed you pay for you'll get a good experience as long as the quality of the line to you is not bad.

E.g. my so-called 1Gbps Spectra connection can barely hold a hundred megs of bandwidth to a US server, whereas I can get the same or better on an ACT 100Mbps connection.
Remembering the BSNL, railwire times, whenever internet download speed dips on other country servers they come and ping to their servers in speed test and say "what's the issue, you're getting full speed". Being in a small town with no other choice other than these two, had to keep up with it.

But now I'm using a local isp who is pretty good, I get full speed no matter where the server is located and hardly any downtime so things are definitely way better than before for small towns. Also the tariffs are so much better, just few years back for 1k you get only 10mbps connection here that too with fup of 100gb and now we're getting 100mbps unlimited for the same price.

Been using broadband from local cable TV operator around 8yesrs or so. I was paying 450 Inc taxes at the beginning for 256kbps connection. Around the same time some other isps were giving double speed with same price. After submitting enormous amount of grivence to trai my isp offered me 2mbps with 450 rs. At that time that was a great. Around last 2+years or so they're offering 60mbps for 590 Inc taxes/month. I must say that's a hug step from that crappy 256kbps connection. Now my cat5 has been replaced with fiber line is stable. Waiting for jio to launch in my area. In my area bsnl is not although I live from 8km away from exchange. I went to their office for like 3/4 times but nobody seems to care about ftth. Nobody has a single info about that so I gave up.

Back