What Engineering Course do I pursue?

Kesan

Recruit
Hello, folks. I'm a long time lurker here and I've finally mustered up the courage to post. A bit of backstory, I took my JEE Mains and advanced exams this year. I got a decent rank in mains (16k), but advanced didn't really go as expected. For info, Advanced results allow admissions to IITs and Mains results allow admissions to NITs and IIITs.

So IITs are pretty much out of the picture. With my mains rank, I can expect Mechanical or Instrumentation engineering at one of the top 3 NITs (Trichy, Warangal and Surathkal). Electrical and CSE... perhaps at an NIT not as established as these. Or I could go with ECE or CSE (with a little luck) at IIIT Gwalior or Jabalpur (nips the heels of the above NITs in terms of placements and infra, but has comparable academics and college culture).

So this is my predicament - lower branch at top college (NIT) VS higher branch at decent college (IIIT). I loved tinkering with electric circuitry and computer software (dabbled a bit in Android development and blender, and set up a modest home server, so I'm decently versed in these) through 11th and 12th, so I guess you could say that elec and CSE should be the one to go with. I don't have a problem with mechanics as well, but it doesn't come anywhere close in terms of interest to CS and elec.

I've asked around a lot, and I'm getting lots of mixed opinions. Some say people who took core or lower branches eventually end up in the software field so branch would be the one to prioritise. Others say that college tag is all that matters. So the customary advice basically.

Id really appreciate some advice and guidance from folks here, I'm sure some of you may have been in the same shoes as me a while back.

If you ask me, Simple and plain
Good stream should be priority.
Shortlist all the colleges where you are getting your first or second choice of stream.
Ask around which of them has good study standard..
I am not an engineer, but has dwelled a lot in jee mains and advanced scenario recently.. May be good folks like

@samiryadav
@ruiner21
@SpaceRim

Could help you more.

Back