What extra does Adobe Dreamweaver have?

hotshot05

Skilled
I have heard a lot about Dreamweaver but have never used it.
I mainly use free alternative Kompozer(KompoZer - Easy web authoring) and Notepad to hand-code all the styles and text.

I want to know what is extra in Dreamweaver that I will leave Kompozer and use it???

Does it have Javascript tools like Drop down menus which I can configure visually(i.e not changing the code manually) or such goodies???

Graphic designing/Illustrations apart, Adobe Dreamweaver is more than sufficient to design websites using languages like HTML, PHP, ASP etc., right from a small-scale project to a complex enterprise project.

You also get the benefit of easily integrating content developed using other Adobe products.

All in all, a complete web developing solution with advanced features to handle advanced web sites. :)

That said, it isn't that easy to master Dreamweaver and you are better off developing DHTML menus and other specific web content using easier, visually aided creation tools.

Proficiency in Dreamweaver (among other tools) means your entitled to call yourself a Web Designer. :p

no you will need to do most coding manually in it. but it has option of attaching databases to sites, ftp transfer, managing lots of sites, code formatting, code validation, etc.

it does have some basic javascript like image rollovers, etc built in.

Yup.you can easily form pages with dreamweaver. No need for all syntax . All menus are available. Just right click and you would get all possible options. The only thing it wont help it would be in css or javascript where you got to use the notepad.
P s: these experiences are from early days when i had done a course on web designing during my 12th vacations. Donno what the newer variants have in stores. Maybe better.B-)

there are a lot of extensions by which you can visually create dhtml/jscript/css menus etc. better integration with photoshop and flash.

and it's a breeze to maintain a large number of pages with the use of templates.

_

Its one's own perspective in looking at a software. When I started to hear about HTML and web design, I fell on dreamweaver and from that day on, I have never used any other software. To be frank, I have never heard abt kompozer :)

For me dreamweaver is more easier to just drag and drop the things and let dreamweaver does the coding. I like GUI stuff rather than coding.

For the last 5-6 years I have been using dreamweaver extensively.

As I said in the beginning, its one's own perspective.

dre@ms said:
Its one's own perspective in looking at a software. When I started to hear about HTML and web design, I fell on dreamweaver and from that day on, I have never used any other software. To be frank, I have never heard abt kompozer :)
For me dreamweaver is more easier to just drag and drop the things and let dreamweaver does the coding. I like GUI stuff rather than coding.
For the last 5-6 years I have been using dreamweaver extensively.
As I said in the beginning, its one's own perspective.

It is very natural that you have never heard of Kompozer. It is a very new software. It is a freeware and open-source application. The developers dont have the big bucks required to promote the software like Adobe (or Macromedia) did.

I like coding. If I dont manually code, how can I become a good web developer?
Also if I learn how to code, I will be able to create templates for Wordpress and Blogspot one day and give my website a seamless look. I would love it if I did not have to depend on others to create my website.
This is my view.

Conclusion: So, it seems that if you want to learn HTML/CSS coding, it is better to use Kompozer or similar programs where the temptation to take a shortcut is not present.

Am I right in my conclusion?

You are kidding right?
Dreamweaver is expansive and is a complete solution.
You can code inside of dreamweaver too if you like coding that much.
In any case you will almost always have to code some part manually inside of dreamweaver.

Try dreamweaver now!

Basically the question is using an IDE versus manual coding, I stopped using hand coding ever I switched to Dreamweaver, Expression web etc. it really saves a lot of time and I dont want to insert <div> or <table> tags everywhere.

try to use it and do give it some time then you will be able to work faster and utilize your time for other productive things such as graphics and other such stuff.

Dreamweaver can also be used together with photoshop for layouts as well. i.e you do your graphics work in photoshop and then u can import it into dreamweaver. Plus, it also has built-in templates which can make jobs easier for you.

Also if you use notepad for coding, I'd suggest to instead use notepad++

Cheers

:)

Hello friends

Dream weaver help you create the web page more easily. You do not have to write all the coding as you have to do while using a notepad. You type a code in dream weaver and the whole drop down list is displayed before your eyes. It is much more time saving.

Back