What if v replace the processor of a desktop, do v need to install the OS ...

rahulcnbc

Disciple
What if v replace the processor of a desktop with a similar or a high powered procy (which can utilise the same mobo), do v need to reinstall the OS ...

Same procy (PROCESSOR) , same config PC ofcourse NO !

(temperature, power presets etc.) matter too. when you alter too old PCs/laptops.

I have an article save too old but helpful hopefully..

What if v replace the processor of a desktop with a similar or a high powered procy (which can utilise the same mobo), do v need to reinstall the OS ...
For windows 10 you don't have to but it is better to do so.
I have tried with cross platforms: amd/intel and their series as well and all ran well after couple of reboots and configurations.
But as they say its always best to install a fresh one than gettijgn caught sometime in your lifetime.

Keep the original key handy. I switched to a Ryzen from a Intel 4670K and Windows wouldn't activate. The Windows installation was a free upgrade from a Windows 8.1 paid version.

So I had to give up after a while and got a cheapo Windows key for 10$ or so off ebay.com which has been working flawlessly so far. Once I switch to Ryzen 3000 I am guessing I will face the same issue again.

Back