Storage Solutions What internal HDD to buy?

jsmithe

Disciple
I need to get an internal SATA HDD min. 500 GB since my boot drive has started exhibiting the click of death. This was a Seagate with a 5YW and it is now beginning to fail after 8 years.

Any idea as to how the Toshiba internal HDD's perform, RMA support etc? The Toshiba's are being listed with 3 year warranty which duration-wise is better than Seagate's pathetic 1YW and WD's a little less pathetic 2YW. I think there are some HDD's from both Seagate and WD with longer warranties, but IIRC they are priced outrageously.

What would you recommend? Links / info' appreciated.

I need to get an internal SATA HDD min. 500 GB since my boot drive has started exhibiting the click of death. This was a Seagate with a 5YW and it is now beginning to fail after 8 years.

Any idea as to how the Toshiba internal HDD's perform, RMA support etc? The Toshiba's are being listed with 3 year warranty which duration-wise is better than Seagate's pathetic 1YW and WD's a little less pathetic 2YW. I think there are some HDD's from both Seagate and WD with longer warranties, but IIRC they are priced outrageously.

What would you recommend? Links / info' appreciated.
WD Caviar 500 GB Desktop SATA Internal Hard Disc Price in India, Buy Western Digital Internal Hard Disc Online - Infibeam.com
get western digital blue 500 GB from infibeam using coupon SBIPROM5 ..valid for all cards and users (after coupon price comes to 3260)

I was planning to buy the seagate 1TB HDD for 4.1k in chennai but then saw the post above me and using the coupon i can get a 2TB HDD from WD( green) for 5.4k. I currently have a 160GB HDD which i would be making into an external storage. So i basically need a 1Tb or 2 TB for primary use like windows and all. Which one should i go for. Is the [h=1](WD20EARX) too slow for daily use and prolonged use and booting. Please help.[/h]

I was planning to buy the seagate 1TB HDD for 4.1k in chennai but then saw the post above me and using the coupon i can get a 2TB HDD from WD( green) for 5.4k. I currently have a 160GB HDD which i would be making into an external storage. So i basically need a 1Tb or 2 TB for primary use like windows and all. Which one should i go for. Is the (WD20EARX) too slow for daily use and prolonged use and booting. Please help.

Buy western digital black it will come around 5500 approx with 5 years warranty and 1 TB of space very good for usage
Wd Black Caviar 1 TB SATA Desktop Hard Drive Price in India, Buy Western Digital Internal Hard Disc Online - Infibeam.com

why are you not considering the seagate 1tb
Matter of fact I am, since the ST31000524AS is a Seagate 1TB. I am not too thrilled by the fact that the Seagate warranty is now just 2Y or in some cases even 1Y. There however is not much of an option available across manufacturers for longer warranties other than the expensive WD Black.

jsmithe Go for any of these Segate Barracuda 500GB-3.4k OR WD Blue 500GB-3.3k,Both the drive have 2 Years warranty so no need to worry,Cheers.

jsmithe Go for any of these Segate Barracuda 500GB-3.4k OR WD Blue 500GB-3.3k,Both the drive have 2 Years warranty so no need to worry,Cheers.
Thanks for the recommendation. My HDD finally refused to boot, so when I went to take it out, I found the SATA connector cracked which made the power connector to the HDD loose causing the drive to attempt to spin up and fail when the cracked power connector became loose due to vibration. Anyway, long story short, replaced the power connector and the drive that showed all kinds of errors is now fine. So I don't need a new HDD atleast for now.

Back