What Investment mistakes you made that you want others to avoid?

Suggestion: At young age of career and life both, start putting money in blue chip stocks. Decide on a certain % of your income and put it in equity. If possible, categorize
it across industries such as bank, pharma, technology, etc. Gold can also be considered for long term passive investment.

I am planning to have 5K per month as my equity amount as in I will invest in some stocks. Consider like SIP in stocks directly but I will decide on the fly every month which stock to invest in.

Issue with mindset of vast majority towards insurance is, rather than looking at it as an expense to safeguard a risk, we look at it as an investment.
I am guilty of exactly this. Early on in my career, I only had a LIC policy and that too because it was mandated as a collateral for my education loan. Apart from the employer insurance cover, I had nothing for quite many years. I realised pretty late that I need insurance for what it actually is rather than just as an investment or tax saving instrument. Thank goodness it did not come back to bite me !

Bad: Started two SIPs early in the career, on advice of a friend. Bad that I didn't continued that.
Worst : Still don't have term & health insurances other than company provided. Only thing, since wife is also working and making each other dependent, we have two health insurances. A Term policy is in todo list for last years. :(
Good : In another few months Home Loan would be over. Took around 6 years. I have SBI Maxgain account, so not repaying the whole amount now, rather parking there. Need to decide if to foreclose the loan or invest the money somewhere else. (Home loan interest rate these days is 7.5%)
Okayish: Started few SIP in last two years. Mostly in bluechip funds, 1 debt, 1 small cap.

Todo : Start a SIP like in stocks
Going through these : Investment Basics - Groww

Hey forum,

In your opinion, which equity fund is the best to invest in?

I've looked at some options on scripbox and groww, both of which recommend Axis's MFs.

I've also gotten in touch with some folks at Tata AIA and checked out their multi-cap fund (they're claiming it has a 20%+ return over the ~5 years it's been running.)

I'm asking everyone I know for their opinion, so I thought I might as well ask here. I want to invest a relatively large amount (to me at least) and not touch it for 30 years.

Thank you for your help in advance!

Go for index funds. A good split would be 40% in UTI Nifty 50, 40% in UTI Next Nifty 50 and 20% in Motilal S&P 500.
Make sure you go for Direct funds over regular.

Why do want to save up beside your children's education? Old age? Health ?

I may be outlier but I am not saving for any specific goal. I just have mentality to save and only spend when I feel it is worth it or is absolutely needed. I am not a miser per se.
But yes I do want to save for going for foreign holidays ocassionally.

Go for index funds. A good split would be 40% in UTI Nifty 50, 40% in UTI Next Nifty 50 and 20% in Motilal S&P 500.
Make sure you go for Direct funds over regular.

+1 to this. I mean for the DIRECT part. Do not go for Regular funds as their expense ratio is higher. It is like having middle man in your funds which eats some of your profits. You will always see NAV of direct fund of same fund being higher than regular fund.

Also if you are already in a regular fund and want to change it to direct of same fund, you can but be aware that this means you will be selling your units and repurchasing it so if you have any gains, it will be taxable. It is not direct switch.

I redeemed all our family lic policies by booking losses. Please calculate xirr for them all and calculate opportunity cost.

I need some help here. My dad invested in one LIC policy in 2002 or something and although policy paying period is over, the policy matures in 2027 which is when I will get money back.

Now apart from above, my dad started another LIC policy for which I pay Rs. 24K per year (since 2011) but worst part is, policy paying term ends in 2046 !!!!!
I have till now paid 2.42L in this. I want to know if I surrendered now, how much I will get back if any as there are some things like surrender value and special surrender value and such and I don't know how to easily calculate. Any website where I put policy name, when started, how much paid and time duration etc and it tells me surrender value or so?

bad: not starting early when my friends pushed me to invest. actually forced me to get sharekhan account in 2008. it is still sitting with zero balance.
good: finally started when a different friend pushed me. lectured me for straight 3 months.
made a shitton of money in 2020.
bought tsla with conviction and the same friend said you will need “do jigar” to put money in tsla.
learned and learning a lot about companies and “value”. also a lot of life lessons.
life is relaxing now. life is good.
Via vested? At what price did you buy them?

I need some help here. My dad invested in one LIC policy in 2002 or something and although policy paying period is over, the policy matures in 2027 which is when I will get money back.

Now apart from above, my dad started another LIC policy for which I pay Rs. 24K per year (since 2011) but worst part is, policy paying term ends in 2046 !!!!!
I have till now paid 2.42L in this. I want to know if I surrendered now, how much I will get back if any as there are some things like surrender value and special surrender value and such and I don't know how to easily calculate. Any website where I put policy name, when started, how much paid and time duration etc and it tells me surrender value or so?
Surrender value only lic can tell you.
XIRR you can calculate. I bet you it will be less than 5%, taking into account all the benefits. You will be at loss now. But cut a finger now or cut the hand at maturity, what will you choose? Do consider inflation and opportunity cost. Check these links in the order posted
He is in US so I guess it is easier for him. For people in India, we have to go through vested etc.
Good for him. Away from this country. Are you investing in US stocks?
avoid PPF.
Why? It is a very good debt component.
No go full equity mid/large cap funds. Over time 7+ years it beats everything!
What if in the 7th year we have India's lost decade here?

Surrender value only lic can tell you.
XIRR you can calculate. I bet you it will be less than 5%, taking into account all the benefits. You will be at loss now. But cut a finger now or cut the hand at maturity, what will you choose? Do consider inflation and opportunity cost. Check these links in the order posted

Good for him. Away from this country. Are you investing in US stocks?

How do I contact LIC for surrender value. Also less than 5% means I will get less than 5% of my amount paid?

I am invested in MO S&P 500 Mutual Fund for international exposure.

Can someone explain why LIC is bad? They are offering me 7% tax free with yearly payouts from 2030 -

Seems like a good option to me and is something I'm considering -
Do you believe in Jumlas?
How do I contact LIC for surrender value. Also less than 5% means I will get less than 5% of my amount paid?

I am invested in MO S&P 500 Mutual Fund for international exposure.
022 6827 6827. Look up the term xirr and then use those links to calculate yours.
Not in NASDAQ?
Purchased house pretty late in my life after I turned 35
Hope you know that a house is not an asset.

Back