What is it with basic GFX card prices?

AK3D

Adept
Someone called me to buy my 1050Ti and offered 20K for a card that I purchased for 9 or 10K. What gives?

I know the prices of the high end cards are crazy, but who wants to use 1050s and 1060s for mining anyway?

I then contacted a dealer who quoted me 23K for a 1050Ti, 32K for a 1060 and 1.5K for a 3070. I came away amused by this supply / demand scenario.
Thoughts?

When I put up a sale thread for my RTX 2060 6GB somebody asked for 45k which is almost double the price for which I bought it in a sale in vedantcomputers in 2019. Such is the demand nowadays but I put it on hold as I could not get an alternative card for my setup.

Incredible!
But why are the low end cards so expensive? They are not useful for mining?
I second this thought

My GPU died a few days back and when I checked online for something to replace it with I was appalled at the prices. Dystopian even.
I've been living under a rock for the past decade due to studies and the pandemic so I have no idea what has happened.

It's simple, people are willing to pay for them and if seller is getting more (way more) than what the product is worth for, why should he care? Remember that in business there's no such thing as conscience. It's only either profit or loss.

Encourage the community to not buy GPUs overpriced. Be the change you want to see :)

It's mostly the mining effect even those GPU's which are not even good for mining is benefiting from the GPU shortage and other GPU prices being jacked up.

Doesn't the present scenario tilt the favor towards consoles or pre-assembled branded gaming PCs ?
For North American markets, Linus tech tips studied this topic. And found that, by a small margin, paying scalper prices for GPUs turns out cheaper than prebuilt PCs. Not sure about the Indian markets.

Encourage the community to not buy GPUs overpriced. Be the change you want to see
Tough to do it, when it takes 28 minutes to sell after listing. But I see your point, kids need to be told : play Tinder, it is more fun than GTA.
:)

Last edited:
Incredible!

Yes my thought also same
Why?
Simple! They want to scalp on any given card and that people are still willing to pay a premium just to get hold of some gpu or complete their rig builds!
If people stop paying these prices at least retailer cost might come down.
And its Indi market... once loot starts everyone wants to squueze every ouce of it. Loot competition!
Can say it was a bit fairly priced!
I was offered 1080 for 18k by my good friend in Aug last year but I turned down the offer for 3 factors: Old gen card,no warranty & better to get hold of latest gen gpu t a bit fair premium!
Encourage the community to not buy GPUs overpriced. Be the change you want to see :)
Its always between the seller and buyer. If buyer is ready to pay the loot premium amount no one can do anything about it.

Last edited:
I think low end prices are high because as the high end prices went up, mid end prices shifted to close the gap and correspondingly everything shifted higher. Supply has also probably gone down across the board as manufacturers are focusing on high end boards. Same is happening in US for car industry. As there is a manufacturing capacity constraint, car makers are shifting to higher margin models and the base models are nowhere to be found

I second this thought

My GPU died a few days back and when I checked online for something to replace it with I was appalled at the prices. Dystopian even.
I've been living under a rock for the past decade due to studies and the pandemic so I have no idea what has happened.

Dystopian is the right word. I'm on and off with GPU tech, this also reminded me of a few years ago when you had huge bump in GPU pricing.

It's simple, people are willing to pay for them and if seller is getting more (way more) than what the product is worth for, why should he care? Remember that in business there's no such thing as conscience. It's only either profit or loss.

Agreed - I'm not buying any overpriced card, regardless.

Doesn't the present scenario tilt the favor towards consoles or pre-assembled branded gaming PCs ?

100% - I bought an HP Victus laptop, with a 5600H, and RTX3050. They are available for 60-70K, and if you're getting just the GPU at 40K, better to buy a laptop instead.

Simple! They want to scalp on any given card and that people are still willing to pay a premium just to get hold of some gpu or complete their rig builds!
If people stop paying these prices at least retailer cost might come down.
And its Indi market... once loot starts everyone wants to squueze every ouce of it. Loot competition!

Can say it was a bit fairly priced!
I was offered 1080 for 18k by my good friend in Aug last year but I turned down the offer for 3 factors: Old gen card,no warranty & better to get hold of latest gen gpu t a bit fair premium!

Its always between the seller and buyer. If buyer is ready to pay the loot premium amount no one can do anything about it.

We've seen this before with crazy CPU pricing, but it was never this bad.
I remember gents on this forum helping other members source cards and tech hardware at lower or at par prices. That time is long past.

If you are thinking on spending more than 30-40k and so on mid range cards like 1650,1660super , ti , then its better to get a gaming laptop for around 60+70k that would be more bang for the bucks

Back