What is the best Hosting in India ?

subhasis

Disciple
Ok guys a friend of mine wants to showcase his photography skills , so he wants to launch a photography website , what will be the best Hosting for this purpose ?

It is the template which matters and not hosting.
Hosting Options: Leapswitch or Hostgator .

There is no best hosting. Depends on where people will visit the site from if you want to be very particular. Digital ocean/Linode + a CDN like Amazon's will work fast. Either way if its a good hosting, no matter what part of the world it is located physically, you will not have to worry about speeds.

Dont go for godaddy, hostgator or any consumer shared hosting. They suck and will overcharge you. If you need more help, let me know.

Confused about the statement found in many Hosting providers that " If your traffic is from India get 10x speed" ...as Bigrock states..etc ..does it really matters

Confused about the statement found in many Hosting providers that " If your traffic is from India get 10x speed" ...as Bigrock states..etc ..does it really matters
Lies. Only thing that changes is ping/latency. And that's in 30-40 miliseconds. Most of the hosts you'll find here will be using normal hdd which are very slow and old, you can save those miliseconds by using a cheap ssd hosting outside india.

Simple rules of choosing hosting provider
- Never go by the Word Unlimited
- Never Choose EIG products (Hostgator, Bluehost,Bigrock etc.)

Gone are the days when US providers were reliable,cheap. The same you can get here in India.Try leapswitch. The owner is on TE. @Leapswitch|Ishan

Shared hosting would be more than enough for an starter. As you grow you can choose VPS. You can also look in to outpowerhosting if you want more cheaper hosting and yet reliable.

My friend needs to accommodate a lot of very high resolution pics...pretty sure will eat up a lot of bandwidth ...will shared hosting like Bigrock be sufficient ?

Subhasis, the size of your pics and everything else is not a matter. Putting optimized pics will help load them faster, unoptimized and very high size pics will load slower and all of it is dependent on the visitors bandwidth.

To store these files you will need disk space. Leapswitch, bigrock etc none of them will be able to fulfill either the cost or quality constraint. Go for something like https://www.digitalocean.com/pricing/ Cheapest thing you will find accompanied by the best performance. If at anytime you outgrow the specifications, you can do a one click upgrade to a higher one.

You might need knowledge of basic linux server setup. If you dont have it buzz me.

Yes. If you put hi-res or HD pics they will only be helpful and load fast for people having hi speed internet. And anyways who uploads the real raw pics online??? Always resize them to a comfortable resolution and size. Have seen people steal pics and upload on their site/instagram/tweet and what not. So upload pics applying some copyright.

PM me for more info. on that or your photographer friend might already be aware of that.

When you host a website it should be for all the common masses with regards to speeds of all range.

Imagine somebody accessing your website from remote village on a very basic bsnl line.

And also dopnt put flash stuff, its useless and sucks even on good speeds.

Try to make it simple and yet attractive using the best template available.

A bit OT - for someone looking for cheap hosting to run Python stuff, what are the options?
Bigrock and Hostgator supports it. Any other cheaper option?
I am just starting out. Just a bit of tinkering.

How much storage and Bandwidth will you require ?
500MB to 1GB storage space is more than enough.
Mostly I will be using it to learn and tinker. So 5-10 GB /month should be enough I feel. Bandwidth requirement may be a bit higher also as a few of the scripts will involve web scraping.

I am currently using Managed WordPress hosting from Godaddy and Its great. Its almost six month and I am completely happy with their services. No downtime, excellent phone support. Highly recommendable.

If it's just going to be a static website (ie. no user login or sessions or fancy functionality etc.), you can just use GitHub pages powered by jekyll. It's free.
You would store your HTML code in your GitHub repo (which you should) and using GitHub pages, you'd automatically get a website for use.
You can have a custom domain and all.

You would want to use an existing image host, though.
If your site blows up, you would want a dedicated media sever anyway.
Perhaps you can just use imgur or flickr or somehing.

If you decide to have a dedicated server for your website and then feel the need for a media server, you can use Amazon S3.

Back