What is the best way to sell dollar bills

Travel agents almost always. Banks follow legal guidelines and give you the same rate whether you sell $10 or $1000 . With travel agents though you have better bargaining power, and of course you get varying rates based on how much you have / want.

Thanks.
As of today HDFC had a buying rate of 54.07 and ICICI had 54.10.
So travel agents will give more than that? Also which ones do you suggest.
Are there any other types of organizations apart from banks & travel agents that carry out Forex transactions?

Any travel agent operating his shop near your place will do. Since you are selling dollars, just about anyone works. Make it a point to bargain, and let them know the bank rates as you have seen. My experience has been bigger the player, lower the conversion rate

Try UAExchange. They give very good rate. The last i wanted to exchange NZD to INR all the banks were quoting 32/- when $ rate was 34.20. I got 34 from them. They are genuine though the name sounds fishy :p

If i may ask how much is that u want to exchange ?

Well, banks take photocopies of your passport for any amount of currency.

---------- Post added at 11:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:29 PM ----------

But then if it is more than $10,000 then one can split the transactions or may be spread across multiple places in case the different procedure involves giving some tax or something.
If you have paid income tax in US, you do not need to pay taxes again for the dollars in India. This is due to the tax treaty between India & US.

US $ is a highly sought after item in the foreign exchange market. Every genuine business with some sort of import / export dealings will buy it at the market rate. That will be the maximum you will be able to get. A friend of mine do it regularly.

Back