What is the best way to watch tv without disturbing others ?

ibose

Skilled
So what is the best option to watch TV without disturbing others. Primary requirement will be obviously for the audio to be in sync with video. The second is for the earphone or headphone used to be comfortable enough for long sessions. We are using a Fire stick.
If anyone has any setup which works well for them, please share.

I can't be bothered about keeping wireless headsets charged, so prefer 3.5mm aux extension with earphones. I find headphones/in-ears uncomfortable for long hours.

As for sync issues, your TV should have a setting to compensate for the latency.

I prefer using a bluetooth headset while watching TV, even if there's no one else around. Not only does it help in not disturbing others, but the dialogue and sound effects are much clearer, and I can turn subtitles off. My older bluetooth headset had a problem with audio sync, but none of the ones I've bought in the last 3 years had any such issues.

I prefer using a bluetooth headset while watching TV, even if there's no one else around. Not only does it help in not disturbing others, but the dialogue and sound effects are much clearer, and I can turn subtitles off. My older bluetooth headset had a problem with audio sync, but none of the ones I've bought in the last 3 years had any such issues.
Do you connect the headset to the TV or a Firestick ?

One needs to try different headsets to check one's comfort level. I've been using Edifier W800BT for maybe five years or more now. I originally got them for work where I had to work on videos for over 6-7 hours a day. After going through multiple brands and models, I settled on these and found them comfy for my workflow and long hours usage. I even got a second pair to use at home after around 3 years. Both pairs are still working and the full charge on them easily lasts me a week even with 6-7 hours usage a day.

The only con is that their ear cushions last barely six months to a year of heavy usage. I got replacement cushions off Amazon and there are some good options there. I couldn't find the link or brand name of the ones I currently use but they are oversize, much larger than the stock ones. And these made my headphones even better. There is no pressure on my ears or head, the insides of the pads are bigger than my ears. Feels very light and comfy on my head. I wouldn't trade these headphones for anything else. But that's just me, YMMV.

Try something out that looks it might feel comfortable and see where it takes you. If you want BT, get something with extra long battery, so you don't need to charge them repeatedly. If you want wired, get an extra long and sturdy cable that you can swap out with the stock one for ease of use.

Last edited:
In my experience the best option is watch the TV for hours without switching it on............:cool::cool:
Learned the hard way.. First my better half would say turn down volume, it had to be turned down to the level where you just have to bloody rely on the subtitles, then when I started using bt headsets (all of them had lag so then again bloody subtitles) she started complaining why so much light in the room... I had to adjust the Luma gamma and God knows what... Apart from the lag in audio with bluetooth headsets this just killed my inner child who wanted to watch tv...

Ultimately I said enough is enough, I converted my study as my tv watching room and started watching at bloody full volume using the cost effective solid MiVi soundbar... The disturbance is still there but no one dares to complain..:tearsofjoy::sweatsmile::wink:

Right so enough of my jokes and rants...
The best option would be to get a long aux cable and buy any decent set of wired headsets... I found that option to be the best, no lag and pretty cost effective as well
one just needs to be a bit aware and careful not do sudden movements like running to the bathroom and get entangled in wire and get a bloody nose or a pakoda on forehead...

Last edited:
So what is the best option to watch TV without disturbing others. Primary requirement will be obviously for the audio to be in sync with video. The second is for the earphone or headphone used to be comfortable enough for long sessions. We are using a Fire stick.
If anyone has any setup which works well for them, please share.
Bluetooth open back headsets which don't exist. So, I have converted my wired open back headsets (with comfy velour earcups) into wireless using Bluetooth adapter such as BTR from Fiio. You want to be connected directly to the device providing the content such as firestick or the TV so that they can adjust the video for audio delay. If you have a firestick and connect the headphones via bluetooth to the TV, the TV has no way of adjusting the delay whereas if you connect your headphones to the firestick, firestick knows that you are connected to a bluetooth headset and adjusts delay accordingly. Moreover, the Fire Stick remote also starts controlling the bluetooth volume instead of TV volume. It is quite seamless.

I have an AVR. I used to connect to the headphone output of AVR via a wire. But, wires have become a hassle with kids. So, went wireless.

Back