What is the mentality of people of Tamil Nadu who are protesting against Jayalalitha's conviction?

pauldmps

Skilled
And no, not only his party workers but general educated public, including TN film stars are protesting. Also schools and colleges are kept closed as protest. Is this even legal, let alone be moral ?
Doesn't it question our willingness to fight corruption?
Doesn't it show that we have no faith in our judicial system and our constitution?

She'll probably get fatter in jail. Nothing like this happened when Raja and Kanimozhi where slammed in.

All behind how she got the honorific title 'Amma'

She's been here back in 2001. She survived. Will she do it again. I'm told the difference is this time the term is 4 years instead of 3 years. So 4 years after supreme court ruling in june means she can't contest elections. Not a problem her family will do it.

It's a bit ironic though for some reason i thought she'd be cleaner than DMK who we were told by the media are the real 'devils'.

I know it sounds racist (or is it regionist?), but people in south can be, for a lack of better word, unhinged when things like this happen.

After Tamil Nadu Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa was convicted for amassing disproportionate wealth during her first term in office, 16 people committed suicide. One supporter jumped in front of a bus. A few hung themselves and some consumed poison.

When MGR, a previous Tamil Nadu Chief Minister died after serving three consecutive terms 30 people committed suicide, several thousands had their heads tonsured and over a million followed his remains around till the funeral.

Source: http://indianexpress.com/article/lifestyle/real-leaders-cry-weep-and-wail/

I feel that the hero worship mentality which is prevalent in South, is the reason behind this. However what is the reason behind that mentality, is beyond me.

^ You do know that is what you call propaganda. Most politicians own dailies here in South and they print all kind of shit. They even attribute natural deaths of a supporter to some kind of "because of xyz reason".

I will certainly like Indianexpress to show what proof they have for the claims other than quoting another daily. As for MGR's case (other than suicides), what happened during Balasaheb Thackery's funeral, a man who was known for his scare tactics - weren't millions there for his funeral and he was given a state funeral?

Last edited:
^ You do know that is what you call propaganda. Most politicians own dailies here in South and they print all kind of shit. They even attribute natural deaths of a supporter to some kind of "because of xyz reason".
very good :)

I will certainly like Indianexpress to show what proof they have for the claims other than quoting another daily. As for MGR's case (other than suicides), what happened during Balasaheb Thackery's funeral, a man who was known for his scare tactics - weren't millions there for his funeral and he was given a state funeral?
I've seen similar stories mentioned in my daily too but never bothered to question it. Always struck me as insane and incomprehensible.

[DOUBLEPOST=1412716090][/DOUBLEPOST]
Nothing like this happened when Raja and Kanimozhi where slammed in.
Undertrials that have not been convicted yet. case against Jaya was registered in 1996. Took 18 years for a sentence.

there are much corrupt in this politicians between DMK and ALAMAK which has lot of power between corrupt leader and party which might get worst more than 2o year ago as far i have seen from childhood

See her older movies, people are 'fida' after her because of that image that was created long ago. They still dream of her, just long distance.

Being here in South all my life and my dad being ADMK supporter, I guess I can explain what I see here.

My dad is one out of 10, who doesn't do anything stupid when such things happen. And rest 9 have difference explanations.

1. Poor people, who benefit solely based on the free items provided by the party, tends to get emotional. Ex, I can see a guy who earns 100 INR per day, get rice for Re.1, and get other things at dead cheap price(thanks to TN Political parties who made people lazy by giving more or less free items). Now for them, people who give all those at such low discounted price is God. Believe me, some people at my village still pray MGR everyday and at all elections, they vote for ADMK. So for them, person who gave this, being in prison is big deal.

A lady who talked to me, said "She only earn 66 Crores in corruption, is that wrong? Why they can't put people involve in 2G Scam in jail? After all she only stole 66 Crores. Poor Soul!" And she become very sad. This is the mentality of people here(Not all).

2. People who are relatives of party people who need money. Yes, if you die for such cause, party will pay you hefty money and I have heard it from on of my close relative who is in party.

3. People who get drink and do something nasty for fun, If you look closer in the video of protest day 1, most of the guys are drunk and all they wanted was chaos and steal from stores.

4. Party leader thinking that, by creating chaos, they can bring her back to TN and clear off the case. Which the main reason, they indirectly ask everyone to protest and riot, but in media, they ask you to calm down. I still can't believe people fall for such things.

The riots and chaos were all made by the above mentioned people, and for me, it is nothing but sorry state of affairs of people.

Money and Power plays here.

I don't remember where, but in some newspaper a quick survey was done and apparently it seemed that majority (more than 50%) of people in TN support Jayalalitha and expect her to be CM once she is back. Contrast this against rest of India opinion where around 30% favour Jaya as CM. I am perplexed by these numbers or is there something that locals are aware of that rest of India are not? In fact I spoke to a couple of my acquaintances (very educated and are important decision makers in their own field) from TN and they reflect more or less same sentiments as that of locals. Strange!!!:confused:

Taking into account what raj and sharktake said to understand this article.

R Sathyanarayana, Chennai: Sept 28, 2014, DHNS:
433244_thump.jpg

An upsurge of emotion was witnessed across Tamil Nadu when several supporters of AIADMK chief J Jayalalitha tried to commit suicide after she was convicted by a special CBI court in the disproportionate assets case.

Soon after the news about Jayalalitha’s arrest spread across the state, a 42-year-old man identified as K Babu committed suicide by hanging himself on Sunday morning in Kancheepuram district with the AIADMK flag in his hand.

The police sources said though they prevented him from setting himself ablaze near the collectorate , he took the extreme step at his residence when his family was away.

Another supporter, 64-year-old V Srinivasan, set himself ablaze in Chennai on Saturday and later succumbed to burns in the early hours of Sunday.

A 16-year-old girl, M Nagalakshmi, from Madurai district tried to set herself ablaze on Sunday afternoon. She was upset over her “favourite leader” being convicted in the disproportionate assets case.

Police said Nagalakshmi was admitted to Government Hospital in Madurai with 80 per cent burns and is said to be in a critical condition.

A 35-year-old fishermen in Pudukottai district was saved by the police after he consumed pesticide soon after hearing the special court verdict. At Perambalur district, AIADMK leader Paramasivam tried to commit suicide by consuming poison on Saturday evening.

However, he was immediately admitted to hospital where his condition is said to be serious. Likewise, several AIADMK cadres, including one Solairaj from Dindugal district, who tried to kill himself by climbing a mobile phone tower, was also saved by the fire and rescue service personnel.

A woman had tried to commit suicide in August in Salem district after hearing the news that a Sri Lankan government website had contents which targeted Jayalalitha.

After hearing about the incident, Jayalalitha had said that “suicide is an act of cowardice” and urged people to change their mindset and face life with confidence to achieve and to support achievers.
The ones that stick out are the 16yr old, the 35yr old fisherman and woman reading stuff from the sri lankan website.

I don't remember where, but in some newspaper a quick survey was done and apparently it seemed that majority (more than 50%) of people in TN support Jayalalitha and expect her to be CM once she is back. Contrast this against rest of India opinion where around 30% favour Jaya as CM. I am perplexed by these numbers or is there something that locals are aware of that rest of India are not? In fact I spoke to a couple of my acquaintances (very educated and are important decision makers in their own field) from TN and they reflect more or less same sentiments as that of locals. Strange!!!:confused:

Not everyone has same view. Major issue here is people are divided into 3 parts here.

1. DMK follower - 30%
2. ADMK follwer - 30%
3. Rest of the party follower(s) - 10%
3. None of the above - 30%

Chances are that the people you met are from ADMK 30%. :D

The opponent party as of now, is in cat on the wall situation and considering the bad shape our state is in now, she is only one to hold on to. Atleast she introduce some useful decent schemes and this is where people falling into her hand.

When elections held, I though BJP will win for sure. But once again, local elections is nothing but eye wash.

End of the day, people want someone to point their fingers at when something happens and they feel smaller thief is better than mafia, which is the opponent party. It's like 66 Crores v 2000 Crores. It may sound funny, but it is the mentality of people here now. I still strongly feel, we need parties like BJP here. There may not be many table turners, but considering Modi is in center, it will be good to have someone working under an visionary leader.

But being practical, no one can place their foot in TN, unless both DMK's go down!

I think the scandals are evenly poised. Scandals of AIADMK ( Prefer calling JJ's Party) and DMK are out in the open, now that JJ is behind bars expecting some to wind up from DMK's courtesy of 2G, Aircel-Maxis and what not. Now is the right time for BJP and others to ramp up their play....Modi has to play a stronger role in centre.

At the end of the day, its us the layman who has to suffer the wrath. Politics in India is like a cricket match where all players are policians, behind screen players, umpires are a few like some good hearted Samaritans like RTI Activists, CAG Vinod Rai who brought to core some nasty scandals and
us viewers who cheer if some party wins and whines if some loses. All it does is waste our precious resource, Time/BP as in Cricket Vs Quality of Life as in Politics.

Don't care of this wreckage. Now that BJP is in power, Congress has to be in debt and vice versa when Congress comes to power. Hope all this changes in my lifetime.:)

Generalizing all people from south to Tamil people is like equating everyone in north India as people from Bihar. Just saying.

South and north have different cultures and different problems. If south have one Jaya, north have a Maya and a dozen Laloos. So, this type of statements should stop.

Simple fact is that abjectly poor, less educated people from TN, are given lot of sops (laptops, tvs, etc., who doesn't like getting all these and much more for free?) and an identity to cling on by their politicians. Cases like Mullaperiyar dam (central govt. favored TN by following ridiculous standards to keep their ready to fall Govt. on four legs), fights against stupid Hindi enforcement directives from north India, etc. also gave Jaya undeserved clout among her supporters. Now, everyone have to suck it up.

And I for one, thinks Jaya got an easy punishment.

I know it sounds racist (or is it regionist?), but people in south can be, for a lack of better word, unhinged when things like this happen.

Source: http://indianexpress.com/article/lifestyle/real-leaders-cry-weep-and-wail/

I feel that the hero worship mentality which is prevalent in South, is the reason behind this. However what is the reason behind that mentality, is beyond me.

Last edited:
When elections held, I though BJP will win for sure. But once again, local elections is nothing but eye wash.
you gave jaya a thumping majority in the local elections. So no DMK.

Then in the national elections you gave her an even bigger majority. And nothing, read nothing to DMK. so sentiments towards DMK in TN are clear for all to see. That is for now, Karuna said he's had worse defeats in teh past and he's right. Whether he will be there for the next round is the big question. he's getting on now and where are the suitable successors.

It's like 66 Crores v 2000 Crores. It may sound funny, but it is the mentality of people here now.
You decided twice that Jays was to be leader and now she got taken away.

I still strongly feel, we need parties like BJP here. There may not be many table turners, but considering Modi is in center, it will be good to have someone working under an visionary leader.

But being practical, no one can place their foot in TN, unless both DMK's go down!
BJP in TN is quite unlikely. They won more than commies in WB in the national elections and that in itself is astounding.

Going through the quora posts were very interesting. Who is the big tamilian moviestar that will join BJP instead of making his own party.

I still don't this. When Lalu, Kalmadi, Raja, etc. were jailed, nobody except their party workers protested that too not in such overwhelming manner.
I do not understand that how could educated general public protest against the courts ? This is not protest in support of Jaya but against our judicial system. It makes me sad that these are the same people who later agitate against corruption and demand justice in courts when crimes are committed against them.
And 66 crores is nothing? Even looting Re. 1/- of public money is a crime. An amount of crores should attract death penalty like in China.
And this bail system has to go. How can even a person convicted of crime get a bail ?

Back