What is Usenet how does it differ from Bittorrent?

Mechanic

Skilled
Hi guys
i have come across the terms Usenet news reader and .nzb
i want to how are they any different from Bittorrent Protocol?
do they offer any distinct advantages over Bittorrent?

the term says News Reader, yet they are used for P2P file sharing:S

someone please clarify

Usenet are dedicated server where files gets uploaded and if you are member of usenet group you download the file directly without any wait time or speed throttle.Usenet was initially used for ASCII files only but later turned to transfer binary files too hence all files gets downloaded from usenet, it basically uses MIME to encode the bin files which is essentially nothing but using Base64 of Unix.

Though it wont make much sense to all for above post ; but tha'ts how it works.

dinjo said:
Usenet are dedicated server where files gets uploaded and if you are member of usenet group you download the file directly without any wait time or speed throttle.Usenet was initially used for ASCII files only but later turned to transfer binary files too hence all files gets downloaded from usenet, it basically uses MIME to encode the bin files which is essentially nothing but using Base64 of Unix.

Though it wont make much sense to all for above post ; but tha'ts how it works.

how does Usenet Sites fare against Private torrent trackers like IPT in terms of speed usability reliability of content etc

i understand Torrent trackers can host files even older than 5-7 years while the Usenet servers don't have files older than 300days

Content -
When you search for something on P2P network it connects the hosts connected to tracker; so it depends how long the user wants the file to be kept with them and connected to tracker.

Usenet files are not stored permanently, in lot cases are only available for a week after they have been posted;Usenet works more on requests and uploading the request.

Speed
In case of P2P since you are connecting to users (hosting the files) the download speed is limited/throttled to max upload speed of users uploading the files.

Usenet does not allow speed throttle since you are directly downloading files from the server so its max of your download speed.

reliability of content
Usenet is quite reliable since the server won't go down as frequent as P2P (torrents here)

P.S - IPT isn't the best example to compare P2P SCN , BCG could be compared against Usenet network since these P2P trackers work on very high speed Dedicated Servers

thank you for the input dinjo

which news reader websites should i look out for?

note i hear that there are two types of news readers

1)automatically uploaded public servers which aren't quite reliable as they archive spam too

2)user maintained private/public servers more reliability since everything is done manually

which news reader website can i get into for free?

i only know one , some "Merlin's Portal" or something don't remember the full name

private ones are paid if they would have been free everyone would have been using it , actually Usenet does not make much sense in India for now , especially when dont have a very fast internet connection.

Google for any NZB reader

Using Usenet is in some ways like torrents. You search for a nzb file on an nzb search engine and download this small file. An nzb client then downloads the content. The advantage is great download speeds. It can easily max out any internet connection I have tried. There's no question of poorly seeded torrents of maintaining an upload/ download ratio. Try it out.

There some expenses involved in using usenet compared to torrents. There are plenty of free torrent trackers however I am not aware of any good free newshosting sites.

Sabnzbd is an awesome nzb client. This part is free.

Nzbmatrix is IMHO the best nzb search site. They need a $10 fee for lifetime membership.

Downloading binary files from Usenet generally needs an account with a newshosting site like astraweb. This costs $$. There are various plans available.

Thats it. No rocket science.

lide said:
Using Usenet is in some ways like torrents. You search for a nzb file on an nzb search engine and download this small file. An nzb client then downloads the content. The advantage is great download speeds. It can easily max out any internet connection I have tried. There's no question of poorly seeded torrents of maintaining an upload/ download ratio. Try it out.

There some expenses involved in using usenet compared to torrents. There are plenty of free torrent trackers however I am not aware of any good free newshosting sites.

Sabnzbd is an awesome nzb client. This part is free.

Nzbmatrix is IMHO the best nzb search site. They need a $10 fee for lifetime membership.

Downloading binary files from Usenet generally needs an account with a newshosting site like astraweb. This costs $$. There are various plans available.

Thats it. No rocket science.
Astraweb has a 96$ plan for a year, unlimited downloading. Damn good speeds, no need to worry about ratios / seedboxes etc. All the content you could want is on there.

Free Trial Offer from Usenet.net! If you're a new customer you can take advantage of our 5 day free trial on any of the accounts above. The trial comes with 10GB of downloads. Unless you indicate otherwise, your card won't be charged until you reach the end of your 5 day trial. You can cancel at any time.

Back