What is wrong with OnePlus?

Xiaomi fans be like,

tenor.gif

The days aren't faraway when phones wont even have charging ports and they will come with 1yr battery life and after that throw the phone and buy new. And then they will release new phones every 5 days which wont make us feel the pain of battery life as eveyrone will shift phones every few weeks... The second hand market will collapse as phones will be judged solely on battery juice.
Don't give apple any more ideas to spoil the market..

I have many more which only those apples and maples can think about... thinking of mailing them my ideas wrt cost-cutting etc and thy might hire me only to spoil their brand and further I will bankrupt them.
Seriously ? Is nobody here on Android 11 ? It is a modified A11 power menu. This is mine on P2XL:

x9vTyTf.png

I sincerely wish custom roms will hide this crap as most of us are only concerned about reboot/recovery/poweroff/silent/airplane modes.

^ and if you want to replace the battery, you have to open up the phone which makes it lose IP rating :)
magsafe in latest iphone is literally a step in that direction. Already there are many wireless chargers capable of even 50w right now. apple will remove charging port in 2~3 years for sure

I sold off my 7T because OP is generally rubbish with software and their camera image processing is archaic. They cannot even do rudimentary handling of distortion when using ultrawide lens. Anyone caring even a little bit about the camera cannot look beyond Google, Apple and Samsung devices. All the Chinese OEMs carry forward their home-market aesthetics of killing off details and exaggerating smoothness and colours, not to mention, engage actively in data mining.

Having recently switched to iOS again, the image processing is a huge relief. Also, on a side not, the way I can just box in third-party apps is a huge relief. For example, in Truecaller, I can deny it all permissions which I cannot on Android. The spam list is completely offline and once I do a lookup, it is again saved locally in Truecaller.

I have now taken a vow to never again use a device where the software decisions are driven from China.

Last edited:
I sold off my 7T because OP is generally rubbish with software and their camera image processing is archaic. They cannot even do rudimentary handling of distortion when using ultrawide lens. Anyone caring even a little bit about the camera cannot look beyond Google, Apple and Samsung devices. All the Chinese OEMs carry forward their home-market aesthetics of killing off details and exaggerating smoothness and colours, not to mention, engage actively in data mining.

Having recently switched to iOS again, the image processing is a huge relief. Also, on a side not, the way I can just box in third-party apps is a huge relief. For example, in Truecaller, I can deny it all permissions which I cannot on Android. The spam list is completely offline and once I do a lookup, it is again saved locally in Truecaller.

I have now taken a vow to never again use a device where the software decisions are driven from China.
The new LG Wing has excellent camera prowess.
And I wouldn't call Samsung cameras to be excellent. Their processing is shit, and everything looks saturated to 100.
Google, iPhone and the new LG are camera kings now. I saw a bunch of reviews, and actually preferred the Wing to anything else !
iPhone 12 is doing some insane dynamic range from front camera though. Unbeatable there.

And I wouldn't call Samsung cameras to be excellent. Their processing is shit, and everything looks saturated to 100.
Google, iPhone and the new LG are camera kings now. I saw a bunch of reviews, and actually preferred the Wing to anything else !
iPhone 12 is doing some insane dynamic range from front camera though. Unbeatable there.
I agree that Samsung is not in the same ballpark as Apple and Google, but it is the most affordable manufacturer with an idea about how to work with cameras.

Kudos to LG though for being innovative. Unfortunately, they have a very poor track record with Android updates and not much brand value when their only claim to fame is selling last year's flagship for 20k. With the Wing being over 70k, I don't see it selling beyond a handful of units, until it drops its price by half a year later.

Is it?
I have bunch of OP6 and 7 users and showcase their skills as if holding some canon or sony dslr. They are so much proud of their OpTs as if they with the cam they can see nude under others Tees.
No doubt Indian public feels king even with something amateur stuff.
True.. no matter how much one hates Iphones but their camera power is unmatchable. Their single camera image cant even be produced close match images with 4 cameras on androids. And now they got 3 cams so androids might need 12 at least to come near to 80% yet fall behind :p
LG were always good with their camera segment but sadly very choosy ltd. public buys it in India as it got negligible resale value. Few people make fun stating LG ka to tv ac aur washing machine hota hai...phone kon lega... another bunch of moron class.
Samsung have mostly saturated colors which attracts the masses who only cares color vibrancy and hiding pimples dimples in selfies.
The majority mass only wants effects & filters which even a sub 15k phone does very well. Wonder what makes them spend luxury on stupid costly phones.

Last edited:
True.. no matter how much one hates Iphones but their camera power is unmatchable. Their single camera image cant even be produced close match images with 4 cameras on androids. And now they got 3 cams so androids might need 12 at least to come near to 80% yet fall behind :p
LG were always good with their camera segment but sadly very choosy ltd. public buys it in India as it got negligible resale value. Few people make fun stating LG ka to tv ac aur washing machine hota hai...phone kon lega... another bunch of moron class.
Samsung have mostly saturated colors which attracts the masses who only cares color vibrancy and hiding pimples dimples in selfies.
The majority mass only wants effects & filters which even a sub 15k phone does very well. Wonder what makes them spend luxury on stupid costly phones.
Not really. Check camera comparisons of iPhone 12, specially during night vs Note 20 Ultra, Pixel 5 etc. They still haven't managed to get night mode working at par with Android camera kings, though the video is unmatched.
Again, they have the benefit of 1 company producing everything, from hardware to software, and they don't need to support 1000 other devices, so a difference is guaranteed.
Look how they butchered the iPhone SE camera - in blind comparisons, people never prefer the SE camera. The preference only comes into play after knowing it's an iPhone.
I don't think Apple should be charging such insane amounts for their devices considering they are still missing HRR displays even on the costliest SKU (something which Android world has even in 15k phones now). But eventually that's the magic of capitalism - you have a ****ton of choice.
Had it not been the Japanese, Koreans and Chinese pushing new tech every year, we would have been stuck with iPhone 3GS for a while. Most new tech is due to Sony, Samsung, LG, Huawei, even Realme trying something novel. Eventually it trickles down to all phones. iPhones are premium copycats.
I love Apple's marketing, and I love that they are doing some epic silicon stuff. But their phone division has stagnated - look at how the major focus of the recent event was all on 5G, something which is niche right now, and something which will be useless for most part of the globe for some years.

Not really. Check camera comparisons of iPhone 12, specially during night vs Note 20 Ultra, Pixel 5 etc. They still haven't managed to get night mode working at par with Android camera kings, though the video is unmatched.
Again, they have the benefit of 1 company producing everything, from hardware to software, and they don't need to support 1000 other devices, so a difference is guaranteed.
Look how they butchered the iPhone SE camera - in blind comparisons, people never prefer the SE camera. The preference only comes into play after knowing it's an iPhone.
I don't think Apple should be charging such insane amounts for their devices considering they are still missing HRR displays even on the costliest SKU (something which Android world has even in 15k phones now). But eventually that's the magic of capitalism - you have a ****ton of choice.
Had it not been the Japanese, Koreans and Chinese pushing new tech every year, we would have been stuck with iPhone 3GS for a while. Most new tech is due to Sony, Samsung, LG, Huawei, even Realme trying something novel. Eventually it trickles down to all phones. iPhones are premium copycats.
I love Apple's marketing, and I love that they are doing some epic silicon stuff. But their phone division has stagnated - look at how the major focus of the recent event was all on 5G, something which is niche right now, and something which will be useless for most part of the globe for some years.
The issue is most Android users try to judge Apple by specs and not by the user experience. Apple knows that it could wait on 5G for a year and continue to wait on HRR because it will not affect their sales and their implementation will be a lot more cohesive.

5G required quite a significant redesign if you look at the teardown and really not many companies will invest huge amounts to redesign for newer modems and antennae. Even then, it manages to get the same battery life as 11 with 5G while having a smaller battery using Auto 5G whereas the Samsung equivalents had significant lower battery life with larger batteries and heating issues. They needed 5G now because of the US rollout.

I was using the 90 Hz display on 7T and don't feel a huge shift in going to 60 Hz on iOS because iOS is generally smoother. Yet again, it was a smart decision not to do HRR because of 5G. Of course, their longer term plan is to integrate their own efficient 5G modems based on the Intel purchase but even Qualcomm's X65 and X70 modems will be much more efficient allowing more freedom to include power hungry components.

On the iPhone 12 side, Apple has pushed the cameras if you consider the Pro range with LiDAR assisted night mode and ProRAW support. Again, this will trickle down to the lower range in the future year but they know the professionals will pay the premium for it now. Yet again Apple knows its market.

Apple can be first when it needs to be like when it caught Qualcomm off-guard with the 64-bit CPUs. But that was a necessity because they were designing a new chip from scratch. Any how, with 5+ years of support, the higher cost gets easily amortised for those sticking with the same phone.

It is a good thing that people have choice. Android manufacturers will continue to sell on specs and gimmicks because that is what their users look for. They cannot differentiate themselves on the SoC or the OS.

Apple will continue to focus on the user experience, privacy and the premium market because they meet the expectations of those users. At the end of the day, Apple is still by miles the most profitable phone manufacturer despite the miniscule global market share and they know better than to dilute their brand.

In that sense, Sony was the same but they are nowhere in the phone market because they cannot offer the experience.

I dont agree with most of your points but I will not give you my own opinions as they might be biased.

2 weeks ago my wife shifted from iPhone to Realme X2 Pro after many years of convincing

- She notices that the screen is much zippier than her iPhone and the brightness is also higher according to her
- She has been blown away by fast charging and the battery life. Earlier her phone used to be plugged in the wall or battery all the time. It used to be on that yellow power mode on her iPhone
- No significant difference observed on the app stores
- Her phone is much faster than the iPhone she has been using. She has started playing many more games as a result I guess

Overall she is very happy that she saved 30k+ instead of upgrading to another iPhone. Still a bit nostalgic as she had been using this for last 10 years. Havent heard a single complaint till now only good things.

Not sure where this myth of 'Iphone smooth experience' comes from. Since the advent of android 5 or 6 I have never faced any smoothness issues at comparable or half the price of an iPhone. Extremely budget devices will obviously have that tradeoff as most folks don't care for that

I dont agree with most of your points but I will not give you my own opinions as they might be biased.

2 weeks ago my wife shifted from iPhone to Realme X2 Pro after many years of convincing

- She notices that the screen is much zippier than her iPhone and the brightness is also higher according to her
- She has been blown away by fast charging and the battery life. Earlier her phone used to be plugged in the wall or battery all the time. It used to be on that yellow power mode on her iPhone
- Her phone is much faster than the iPhone she has been using. She has started playing many more games as a result I guess

Overall she is very happy that she saved 30k+ instead of upgrading to another iPhone. Still a bit nostalgic as she had been using this for last 10 years. Havent heard a single complaint till now only good things.

Not sure where this myth of 'Iphone smooth experience' comes from. Since the advent of android 5 or 6 I have never faced any smoothness issues at comparable or half the price of an iPhone. Extremely budget devices will obviously have that tradeoff as most folks don't care for that
I have used mostly flagship Android devices for 7 years and iOS devices for 3 years over the past decade. I liked Android for tinkering but the entire app ecosystem is a mess. I still use a Galaxy Tab S5e for messing about and media consumption, however I prefer iOS for daily use.

You are free to disagree with me as it is your personal preference. However, the fact that iOS app store revenue is 2.5 times of Google Play Store despite 1/10th the market share speaks volumes about developer focus, effort and profit. Most Android users are okay with that experience and power to them. However, I appreciate the extra attention to detail on the iOS ecosystem.

There is no comparison for tablet apps, apple store is much better.

On Phones, there are no differences. In fact, all ios and google users use most of google's native apps. All of the google apps are much better on the play store. (also with apple's stupid restrictions on Gmail etc. it is nearly impossible to get a smooth google experience on ios)

I haven't seen a single app that is 'better' on iPhone or not available on the play store. Can you tell me which app are you talking about?

For the revenue, there are a lot of factors:

1. Piracy on Android is much more widespread
2. Apple is more than 10% of developed countries. Typical developed country per capita plus currency exchange automatically gives a much higher spend per person
3. Just because people are willing to spend more doesn't make it 'better'. The view of costly is better is precisely why people buy beats earphones. No sane audiophile will vouch for them though

Exactly the opposite here. My wife shifted from flagship android to iPhone and she never looked back. She upgraded from 6 to 8 and now on XR.

Guess it is a matter of personal preference

I still have the iPhone 6 with me and it is as smooth as it was, battery not great which is expected for a 5 year old phone. Using it for office related work

I will always be in android, as I love tinkering, custom rom etc etc.

P2XL user here. I don't agree that iOS "experience" is better than Pixel phones. Of course, all personal preference, but it speaks volumes about Google's optimization that I am unable to find a phone in the Indian market which can better the Pixel in terms of "experience". What you are talking about is fragmentation. Every OEM is free to skin the base OS as per their liking, and there is a huge variation in the type of internals used - from processors, to RAMs, to memory (eMMC to UFS 2/3 etc) to other stuff. Just the mere fact that I can get a similar (not same) Android experience if I pick up a thousand devices is mind boggling.
There is no comparison with Apple since they chose the hardware, support, OS etc.
On the matter of apps, of course, Apple is the king when it comes to tablets, but phones - I guess we had a decent enough repertoire for both app stores. Since Android targets both the poor and the rich, you have everything from free to paid to super scummy apps. Apple, by virtue of their pricing (specially in countries with no contracts like India), only targets the upper middle or higher class, more so in the developed countries, and thus nets a higher share per app. Other factors stated above by different members also play crucial role.
Good to have choices till we have them.

This debate keeps repeating every few years and no one is right or wrong. Both ecosystems have their strengths and weaknesses and it is good to have choice.
People keep commenting that this one has a better camera or that one has better battery life but please don't forget everything is based on personal choices. Someone might prefer more vibrant unreal colors while someone else won't. For someone 5hrs of SoT might be great battery life whereas someone like me will scoff at anything less than 12hrs of SoT based on my usage and recent experience.
I have been wanting to go back to iOS for a long time now but my last experience with iPad 2 is still fresh in my mind when even after paying nearly 1k in apps I wasn't able to get what I was able to do via free apps on Android. I know it was a long time ago but I also know that when there is something blocked or missing on iOS then there is no way around it unlike Android. I would love to have the freedom of Android and Privacy of iOS but it seems we can never have both.

Curious to know - what phone's been hitting you with 12 hours SOT ?
I get this reaction everytime especially when I post the best SoT I have gotten from this phone at 15hr 34m - Redmi Note 9 Pro Max.[emoji16][emoji16]
It was debloated and running without any battery saver or any other restrictions. Of course these SoTs are on WiFi only.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/c1hnWywLtxDwoas16

Last edited:
Back