What is wrong with OnePlus?

Me and my wife were so happy with our oneplus 7 pro..except their marketing tactics...but now after reading this thread I am thinking so many flaws for the price we paid :D

No matter how bad Samsung/OP/Pixel etc. get, there is no way in hell I am going back to the "Ecosystem". Loving my Android and Windows combination, it is cheap, non flashy, often stutters and crashes but still love it ( Recovering Apple addict for close to a year now)
I will jump ship in seconds if Macbook Pros come with at least 1 normal USB A port and iphone with the 3.5mm TRS. They will never come back, and in next 6 months, I will learn Windows 10 and this ****ing powerful (but a complete clusterfuck) DAW- Samplitude.

This debate keeps repeating every few years and no one is right or wrong. Both ecosystems have their strengths and weaknesses and it is good to have choice.
People keep commenting that this one has a better camera or that one has better battery life but please don't forget everything is based on personal choices. Someone might prefer more vibrant unreal colors while someone else won't. For someone 5hrs of SoT might be great battery life whereas someone like me will scoff at anything less than 12hrs of SoT based on my usage and recent experience.
I have been wanting to go back to iOS for a long time now but my last experience with iPad 2 is still fresh in my mind when even after paying nearly 1k in apps I wasn't able to get what I was able to do via free apps on Android. I know it was a long time ago but I also know that when there is something blocked or missing on iOS then there is no way around it unlike Android. I would love to have the freedom of Android and Privacy of iOS but it seems we can never have both.
For all those who have fallen into the trap and myth of apple being more Secure and private... There are numerous articles on the web citing all their shady practices.

Don't fall into the trap of advertising and grandstanding by apple.

I would argue that people who feel they are insecure on android might actually be more Secure than the ones who think they are Secure on ios. After all if you think you are the safest person you will never invest In a door or a lock. Your next door neighbor meanwhile is scared and aware trying to. Buy a lock instead of relying on advertising

Here are just top 5 articles by a simple google search on apple security issues

]

Last edited:
For all those who have fallen into the trap and myth of apple being more Secure and private... There are numerous articles on the web citing all their shady practices.

Don't fall into the trap of advertising and grandstanding by apple.

I would argue that people who feel they are insecure on android might actually be more Secure than the ones who think they are Secure on ios. After all if you think you are the safest person you will never invest In a door or a lock. Your next door neighbor meanwhile is scared and aware trying to. Buy a lock instead of relying on advertising

Here are just top 5 articles by a simple google search on apple security issues

This didn't include the news where apple had to fire people for listening to users' mic through siri. They had even listened to users having sex. And apple only fired them when a whistleblower told the world about it. Privacy matters only when the matter becomes public

Or the news that Jeff Bezos iphone was hacked and his relationship was leaked.

Or the news when thousands of iphone of Uyghurs were hacked for many years until Google brought it to Apple's notice.

Big tech is big tech. They will use the data ofcourse. If anyone actually believes Apple cares about privacy, then they probably also believe that Apple removed the charger for environmental reasons :)

The only thing is that at the end of the day, apples main rev source is device sales, for Google it's ads. So apple will always need to mine less user data. Is that enough to call it privacy minded? Not really. Its still better than Google though. Also, the fact that Apple updates its phone on time makes it harder for low skilled hackers to compromise phones using old exploits. This can be a problem on Android as old exploits are not patched as most phones are way behind on security patch updates. Pixel and Samsung S and A series are exceptions here.

This didn't include the news where apple had to fire people for listening to users' mic through siri. They had even listened to users having sex. And apple only fired them when a whistleblower told the world about it. Privacy matters only when the matter becomes public

Or the news that Jeff Bezos iphone was hacked and his relationship was leaked.

Or the news when thousands of iphone of Uyghurs were hacked for many years until Google brought it to Apple's notice.

Big tech is big tech. They will use the data ofcourse. If anyone actually believes Apple cares about privacy, then they probably also believe that Apple removed the charger for environmental reasons :)

The only thing is that at the end of the day, apples main rev source is device sales, for Google it's ads. So apple will always need to mine less user data. Is that enough to call it privacy minded? Not really. Its still better than Google though. Also, the fact that Apple updates its phone on time makes it harder for low skilled hackers to compromise phones using old exploits. This can be a problem on Android as old exploits are not patched as most phones are way behind on security patch updates. Pixel and Samsung S and A series are exceptions here.

Perfectly said. Small addition; Apple also makes loads of money through users data indirectly. They are literally selling the rights to google fb etc. To come and farm users data on ios.

In the latest anti trust case against Google it has come to light that apple charges Google 8-12 billion usd per year for the right to make Google search the default engine.
Code:
This according to case documents is 20% of apple's income.

In other words, apple is giving the right to google to farm it's users data as it doesn't have the capability to either Secure or use that data by creating their own search

Lol. This thread is becoming apple vs android debate.

Whoever likes apple, use it!! Simple logic. No need to justify apple or android is bad

Sorry, @mskanadi, I feel you really want to like android and have a bias as a result. While I have no intention of getting into an iOS vs android debate. I would like to clarify a few of the points you make.

Don't give apple any more ideas to spoil the market..
Because Apple is going to make strategic decisions looking at this forum ;);) (I get the sarcasm =))

I dont agree with most of your points but I will not give you my own opinions as they might be biased.

2 weeks ago my wife shifted from iPhone to Realme X2 Pro after many years of convincing

- She notices that the screen is much zippier than her iPhone and the brightness is also higher according to her
- She has been blown away by fast charging and the battery life. Earlier her phone used to be plugged in the wall or battery all the time. It used to be on that yellow power mode on her iPhone
- No significant difference observed on the app stores
- Her phone is much faster than the iPhone she has been using. She has started playing many more games as a result I guess

Overall she is very happy that she saved 30k+ instead of upgrading to another iPhone. Still a bit nostalgic as she had been using this for last 10 years. Havent heard a single complaint till now only good things.

Not sure where this myth of 'Iphone smooth experience' comes from. Since the advent of android 5 or 6 I have never faced any smoothness issues at comparable or half the price of an iPhone. Extremely budget devices will obviously have that tradeoff as most folks don't care for that
From which iPhone was the upgrade made? I'm pretty sure if you were to give your wife a current gen iPhone and she were to compare it to the Realme, the iPhone would come out on top. Upgrading to even a 10k android phone from an older iPhone 4 or 5 will obviously be appreciated by anyone. Please don't compare apples to oranges.

I've never really understood the term "smoothness" , at least when applied to tech. Maybe people mean stuttering or general lag idk. However one advantage with apple is how further ahead their silicon is. An iPhone X that is 3 years old still trades blows with Qualcomm flagships of today. An iPhone in general will outlive its android counterparts and have a higher resale value over time. If you look at cost of ownership over time, they would be quite comparable between android and ios devices.

There is no comparison for tablet apps, apple store is much better.

On Phones, there are no differences. In fact, all ios and google users use most of google's native apps. All of the google apps are much better on the play store. (also with apple's stupid restrictions on Gmail etc. it is nearly impossible to get a smooth google experience on ios)

I haven't seen a single app that is 'better' on iPhone or not available on the play store. Can you tell me which app are you talking about?

For the revenue, there are a lot of factors:

1. Piracy on Android is much more widespread
2. Apple is more than 10% of developed countries. Typical developed country per capita plus currency exchange automatically gives a much higher spend per person
3. Just because people are willing to spend more doesn't make it 'better'. The view of costly is better is precisely why people buy beats earphones. No sane audiophile will vouch for them though

While I agree, that for the most part there not too many differences in the quality of Major Apps on both ecosystems. There are some iOS exclusive apps that are generally perceived to be better than android alternatives (Subject to personal preference obviously) such as Apollo, Procreate, Tweetbot , Things, Enlight, Garageband etc . Also pretty much any game on an Apple Silicon will smoke its android competition. An iPhone 11 or 12 benches higher than your so called "gaming phones"

In my opinion, even the default Messages and Phone apps on iOS are better than the jumble you find on android. Can we also not forget facetime & iMessage.

Developers are motivated by money. There is more money in the Apple Ecosystem. There is a reason companies like Uber & Insta came out on iOS first and were iOS only for quite a while. What does GDP or Piracy have anything to do with this? We are simply discussing the attractiveness of an ecosystem for a developer.

I agree that spending more does not necessarily mean a better product . However, people perceive different benefits from things and "better" is relative. While no audiophile would vouch for beats, some consumers would be happy to get them as not everyone has the time or energy to do the research or perhaps someone wants the "status" associated with them. Also beats aren't necessarily Apple products, they seem to be getting rid of the name and branding over time as well. I'm still to come across anything that's comparable to airpods, especially the pros.

Perfectly said. Small addition; Apple also makes loads of money through users data indirectly. They are literally selling the rights to google fb etc. To come and farm users data on ios.

In the latest anti trust case against Google it has come to light that apple charges Google 8-12 billion usd per year for the right to make Google search the default engine.
Code:
This according to case documents is 20% of apple's income.

In other words, apple is giving the right to google to farm it's users data as it doesn't have the capability to either Secure or use that data by creating their own search

Really? That's your argument?

With Google, you are literally the Product. Enough said.

While no saint, Apple at least makes a proactive effort to protect users privacy, supports and updates devices for many years patching any discovered vulnerabilities and does not sell or harvest identifiable data (As far as we know) .

That RealMe of yours will be lucky to get updates after its 6 month sales cycle is over. Even if it does will probably be delayed by months to years .

Also Google paying Apple to be default search is not new news ( It's been in the open since 2010ish when google was actually removed as the default search provider because yahoo agreed to pay more and was not uncovered because of some antitrust case) and in no way amounts to apple selling your information. You can choose to change it to anything!

You are 100% entitled to your opinions. However I hope, that I have added something for you to think about.

Sorry, @mskanadi, I feel you really want to like android and have a bias as a result. While I have no intention of getting into an iOS vs android debate. I would like to clarify a few of the points you make.

Because Apple is going to make strategic decisions looking at this forum ;);) (I get the sarcasm =))

From which iPhone was the upgrade made? I'm pretty sure if you were to give your wife a current gen iPhone and she were to compare it to the Realme, the iPhone would come out on top. Upgrading to even a 10k android phone from an older iPhone 4 or 5 will obviously be appreciated by anyone. Please don't compare apples to oranges.

I've never really understood the term "smoothness" , at least when applied to tech. Maybe people mean stuttering or general lag idk. However one advantage with apple is how further ahead their silicon is. An iPhone X that is 3 years old still trades blows with Qualcomm flagships of today. An iPhone in general will outlive its android counterparts and have a higher resale value over time. If you look at cost of ownership over time, they would be quite comparable between android and ios devices.

While I agree, that for the most part there not too many differences in the quality of Major Apps on both ecosystems. There are some iOS exclusive apps that are generally perceived to be better than android alternatives (Subject to personal preference obviously) such as Apollo, Procreate, Tweetbot , Things, Enlight, Garageband etc . Also pretty much any game on an Apple Silicon will smoke its android competition. An iPhone 11 or 12 benches higher than your so called "gaming phones"

In my opinion, even the default Messages and Phone apps on iOS are better than the jumble you find on android. Can we also not forget facetime & iMessage.

Developers are motivated by money. There is more money in the Apple Ecosystem. There is a reason companies like Uber & Insta came out on iOS first and were iOS only for quite a while. What does GDP or Piracy have anything to do with this? We are simply discussing the attractiveness of an ecosystem for a developer.

I agree that spending more does not necessarily mean a better product . However, people perceive different benefits from things and "better" is relative. While no audiophile would vouch for beats, some consumers would be happy to get them as not everyone has the time or energy to do the research or perhaps someone wants the "status" associated with them. Also beats aren't necessarily Apple products, they seem to be getting rid of the name and branding over time as well. I'm still to come across anything that's comparable to airpods, especially the pros.

Really? That's your argument?

With Google, you are literally the Product. Enough said.

While no saint, Apple at least makes a proactive effort to protect users privacy, supports and updates devices for many years patching any discovered vulnerabilities and does not sell or harvest identifiable data (As far as we know) .

That RealMe of yours will be lucky to get updates after its 6 month sales cycle is over. Even if it does will probably be delayed by months to years .

Also Google paying Apple to be default search is not new news ( It's been in the open since 2010ish when google was actually removed as the default search provider because yahoo agreed to pay more and was not uncovered because of some antitrust case) and in no way amounts to apple selling your information. You can choose to change it to anything!

You are 100% entitled to your opinions. However I hope, that I have added something for you to think about.
You are calling me biased whereas your entire post is just about your opinions without any facts or sources

1. No sources for increased security
2. No sources for extra fps when compared to best qualcomm chips
3. No sources for best camera
4. You still think airpods pro are the best wireless earbuds? Like seriously?
Universally, all reliable sites tout Sony is miles better in both wireless headphones and earphones compared to airpods. Your claim that no other earbuds come close to Airpods is completely baseless and untrue

5. Your claim that the 3 years old Apple chip would still beat or be comparable to current top of the line snapdragon chips is again false. I am not even talking about the 5nm chips debuted by Huawei recently
Their A13 chip is beaten by Snapdragon 865
Here is A12 trounced by 865

6. The extended support which you keep touting is actually harmful to users. They deliberately slow down your device to force you to buy a new phone.

Apple settles iPhone slowdown case for $500m​

Apple has agreed to settle a long-running class-action case in the US over allegations it deliberately slowed down older iPhones.

Apple fined $27 million for slowing down old iPhones​

7. imessages or facetime - none of them have demonstrated they are ready for mass usage. There is no use of a restricted platform to the world. For example, should I start saying Microsoft teams which is used by my company has much better features? No one would. A closed group might have xyz but that is irrelevant to the broader discussion.
None of these have replaced SMS, Whatsapp, Google Meet, Zoom - If it was in fact better, why do ios users install these other apps?

8. What used to happen 5 years ago in App market is no longer relevant. I wouldn't expect any big company to not have an Android app and survive for long. In fact, lots of Indian banks and other companies do not support ios but support android apps. Popular apps I would say actually are available on Android first nowadays, at least in India.
All these apps better on ios is again just your opinion/assumption. I have not even touched on the walled garden restrictions - A lot of the apps don't even function on ios due to the restrictions on the platform. Apps like llamba, tasker etc. are just a pipedream for ios users.
Hell - Widgets was an innovation for ios users in 2020 !!! In terms of features, that just tells you how outdated their software has become. They are playing catching up to android from last 5 years

Last edited:
Just clearing a misconception as someone said Realme won't be getting regular updates /delayed updates. Using realme XT for over a year, getting bimonthly updates after 6 months of release, slated to get 11 by 2021. I do believe it will get security updates and bug fixes post end of cycle.

The days aren't faraway when phones wont even have charging ports and they will come with 1yr battery life and after that throw the phone and buy new. And then they will release new phones every 5 days which wont make us feel the pain of battery life as eveyrone will shift phones every few weeks... The second hand market will collapse as phones will be judged solely on battery juice.
never thought in this manner. this could very well be our future

You are calling me biased whereas your entire post is just about your opinions without any facts or sources

1. No sources for increased security
2. No sources for extra fps when compared to best qualcomm chips
3. No sources for best camera
4. You still think airpods pro are the best wireless earbuds? Like seriously?
Universally, all reliable sites tout Sony is miles better in both wireless headphones and earphones compared to airpods. Your claim that no other earbuds come close to Airpods is completely baseless and untrue

5. Your claim that the 3 years old Apple chip would still beat or be comparable to current top of the line snapdragon chips is again false. I am not even talking about the 5nm chips debuted by Huawei recently
Their A13 chip is beaten by Snapdragon 865
Here is A12 trounced by 865

6. The extended support which you keep touting is actually harmful to users. They deliberately slow down your device to force you to buy a new phone.

Apple settles iPhone slowdown case for $500m​

Apple has agreed to settle a long-running class-action case in the US over allegations it deliberately slowed down older iPhones.

Apple fined $27 million for slowing down old iPhones​

7. imessages or facetime - none of them have demonstrated they are ready for mass usage. There is no use of a restricted platform to the world. For example, should I start saying Microsoft teams which is used by my company has much better features? No one would. A closed group might have xyz but that is irrelevant to the broader discussion.
None of these have replaced SMS, Whatsapp, Google Meet, Zoom - If it was in fact better, why do ios users install these other apps?

8. What used to happen 5 years ago in App market is no longer relevant. I wouldn't expect any big company to not have an Android app and survive for long. In fact, lots of Indian banks and other companies do not support ios but support android apps. Popular apps I would say actually are available on Android first nowadays, at least in India.
All these apps better on ios is again just your opinion/assumption. I have not even touched on the walled garden restrictions - A lot of the apps don't even function on ios due to the restrictions on the platform. Apps like llamba, tasker etc. are just a pipedream for ios users.
Hell - Widgets was an innovation for ios users in 2020 !!! In terms of features, that just tells you how outdated their software has become. They are playing catching up to android from last 5 years

I don't really think you've read my post or really replied to a lot of the points I make. Anyhow, ill reply pointwise -

1. I have not said either platform is more secure. This is just the nature of tech. Both have vulnerabilities and no one knows which is more secure until there is hack.
2. idk what your sources for this are. Just look at any reliable cross platform benchmark like geekbench and you'll see what I mean.
3. I did not talk about the camera at all.
4. Look into spatial audio. I've seen the reviews too. They are also just "opinions" . I'm sure I could also find and post 100's of links that say airpods are better. Google does a good job with confirmation bias.
5. Refer to point 2. Your sources are a joke. Also I said the a11 trades blows with the 865. I never said it was better. It is probably better single core.
6. I find it absolutely ludacris you believe long term software support negatively impacts users and vehemently disagree with you.
7. Again - I never explicitly said they were better. Just nice to have.
8. Agreed. Android has a better app ecosystem than iOS in India. There is no denying it. But how does that relate to my point?

It's pretty obvious to me that you are biased towards android and would even go as far as to call you a fanboy based on the tone and maturity of your reply.
Just clearing a misconception as someone said Realme won't be getting regular updates /delayed updates. Using realme XT for over a year, getting bimonthly updates after 6 months of release, slated to get 11 by 2021. I do believe it will get security updates and bug fixes post end of cycle.
That was me and that's sort of my point. Updates are full steam during the sales cycle and slow down over time and pretty much stop by year 3.

Seeing it on my Oneplus 6T. Probably won't get 11 till next year which i think is quite late -

Last edited:
I don't really think you've read my post or really replied to a lot of the points I make. Anyhow, ill reply pointwise -

1. I have not said either platform is more secure. This is just the nature of tech. Both have vulnerabilities and no one knows which is more secure until there is hack.
2. idk what your sources for this are. Just look at any reliable cross platform benchmark like geekbench and you'll see what I mean.
3. I did not talk about the camera at all.
4. Look into spatial audio. I've seen the reviews too. They are also just "opinions" . I'm sure I could also find and post 100's of links that say airpods are better. Google does a good job with confirmation bias.
5. Refer to point 2. Your sources are a joke. Also I said the a11 trades blows with the 865. I never said it was better. It is probably better single core.
6. I find it absolutely ludacris you believe long term software support negatively impacts users and vehemently disagree with you.
7. Again - I never explicitly said they were better. Just nice to have.
8. Agreed. Android has a better app ecosystem than iOS in India. There is no denying it. But how does that relate to my point?

It's pretty obvious to me that you are biased towards android and would even go as far as to call you a fanboy based on the tone and maturity of your reply.

That was me and that's sort of my point. Updates are full steam during the sales cycle and slow down over time and pretty much stop by year 3.

Seeing it on my Oneplus 6T. Probably won't get 11 till next year which i think is quite late -

[emoji16]I respect your opinion and really I can't "disprove" your opinions so I can't respond to most of the things you mentioned. You're entitled to your opinions and who I am I to take them away from you, so I will just rest my case with the facts I earlier wrote.

On point 6 I want to point out one thing though. I totally agree and don't think that long term software updates are bad in any way. 100% good long term updates are good for the user. Look at windows, I don't know how many years they keep providing patches and updates. Now even they have started forcing people to do things in the free version so I buy the paid higher versions.

However, coming to the legal case of apple and software updates. lawmakers and lawyers proved that apple was not providing just the security update. They were deliberately slowing down older phones. On top of that, this is not just because of "oh i didn't optimize iosxyz version for iphoneabc version" slowness. This case was for willfully adding pieces of code to slow down old phones to force people to buy new phones.

This is not my opinion, a fact for which apple has paid significant amount in fines or settlements. If they were actually doing it to for the best they definitely would have made a big marketing hype after winning such an antitrust case.

So it turns out even the so called updates from apple are not just good. Even that has been tainted by their greed.

And yes, I hate apple and what it potentially might do to the tech industry without competition. Right now I support android. In the future, a new or whichever os provides that competition to prevent them from spreading their greed i want them to prosper

Last edited:
Both Android and iOS work for me. But Apple's port policy on MBP and faulty keyboards in 3- 4 generation of "pro" laptops drove me away from them.
I'm no techie and don't understand security etc.
But one thing I know, that's audio. And I completely held Apple responsible for newer generation's faulty perception of good quality sound.
Sound quality is totally subjective, but quality sound is not ( it's very much measurable) , you like it or not is a different matter altogether.
I know of at least 3 studios who got rid of all newer ( 2016-209) MBPs as their old interfaces and analog gears simply won't work with these machines with dongles sold by Apple.
Removal of 3.5 TRS in their phones was plain stupid. What's the point of having iOS garage band ( a wonderful app) without wired headphone out?
I have edited / mixed and mastered entire songs in iPhone 6s for Spotify and Apple music while traveling. And I know for a fact, many people did this and it was so convenient.
Coming to their airpod pros, it is absolutely rubbish for any audio related work, don't understand what do they mean by "pro", it's just another sub par grossly overpriced TWS.
You have to see in a DAW, how much the sound distorts in their own LPX with ANC turned on.
Yes, they are very convenient and all. But "pro" things in audio are usually directed to the audio professionals.
I have enough experience with high to very high end headphones.
Other than THX Panda and PXC 550 all Bluetooth headphones are absolutely useless for any audio production.
It's so sad that years back Apple did care about audio. They had a very hard to drive dual driver IEM, which was pretty darn good.
I hope you guys know this person is a true pro musician and was heavily invested in Apple...and this is precisely what Apple did to their most loyal customers.
Apple is not only a phone manufacturer. We the older people in audio world invested a lot of money ( lot more than a typical iPhone totting hipstar) and most of us are very angry with Apple. They still have the best DAW ( LPX) and we wasted years learning it inside out, now we can't even use it as most hardware peripherals just won't work.
We can't just abandon our analog gears for a freaking laptop ( as some of them cost 20 times more than some shiny new Apple laptop and we love the sound of our old gears)

Last edited:
[emoji16]I respect your opinion and really I can't "disprove" your opinions so I can't respond to most of the things you mentioned. You're entitled to your opinions and who I am I to take them away from you, so I will just rest my case with the facts I earlier wrote.

On point 6 I want to point out one thing though. I totally agree and don't think that long term software updates are bad in any way. 100% good long term updates are good for the user. Look at windows, I don't know how many years they keep providing patches and updates. Now even they have started forcing people to do things in the free version so I buy the paid higher versions.

However, coming to the legal case of apple and software updates. lawmakers and lawyers proved that apple was not providing just the security update. They were deliberately slowing down older phones. On top of that, this is not just because of "oh i didn't optimize iosxyz version for iphoneabc version" slowness. This case was for willfully adding pieces of code to slow down old phones to force people to buy new phones.

This is not my opinion, a fact for which apple has paid significant amount in fines or settlements. If they were actually doing it to for the best they definitely would have made a big marketing hype after winning such an antitrust case.

So it turns out even the so called updates from apple are not just good. Even that has been tainted by their greed.

And yes, I hate apple and what it potentially might do to the tech industry without competition. Right now I support android. In the future, a new or whichever os provides that competition to prevent them from spreading their greed i want them to prosper

I actually do agree with a lot of what you say against Apple. They like every other company are motivated solely by their profits. With rumors of them getting into search, it will be interesting to see if they continue to strongly support privacy.

My point is - Agreed, Apple sucks, but Android does just as much if not more - That's all.

Back