What is wrong with OnePlus?

I think OnePlus got really greedy. They had good products with them & a very competent software team. They had the product formula clear, they wanted to be the Apple alternative in developing nations & it was working for them quite well... but with the success of OnePlus 3 & the later mid cycle refresh OnePlus 3T they started straying from that formula & started turning into the Samsung & Xiaomi of the world.

I remember having the OnePlus 3 & it was perfect in every way. Great hardware & amazing software with timely updates. With OnePlus 3T things on the software front got a little worse, but it was still better then majority of the Android players. After OnePlus 5 & 5T things really took a nose dive w.r.t software. Updates started getting delayed & were always infested with multiple bugs. They used to fix one thing & break multiple others. It was clear that they were not able to scale there software teams for multiple products line & were more interested in extracting more profits. They were still selling a lot of phones mind you but were oblivious to the issues faced by their core audience.

Later on increasing the prices & creating even more product lines didn't help at all while the competitors also started getting better in every front. I mean if you look at every interview or QnA session they had, they always had one excuse for everything, we are a small team. Now that doesn't work when you are asking for premium prices. It worked earlier when the prices were low.. people were willing to looks over small things but not at flagship prices.

I think if they had stuck with one product per release cycle, they could have improved a lot on the software front. For quite a lot of time there cameras were pretty bad. They could have improved that a lot by focusing on one phone per year. Later on they could have increased the prices & people would have been fine as long as the device was providing value. They products stopped being value for money.

OT: To all the Android vs Apple fanboys, stop being fanboys. It doesn't help anyone really. Buy the better products & everything will automatically evolve.

I think OnePlus got really greedy. They had good products with them & a very competent software team. They had the product formula clear, they wanted to be the Apple alternative in developing nations & it was working for them quite well... but with the success of OnePlus 3 & the later mid cycle refresh OnePlus 3T they started straying from that formula & started turning into the Samsung & Xiaomi of the world.

I remember having the OnePlus 3 & it was perfect in every way. Great hardware & amazing software with timely updates. With OnePlus 3T things on the software front got a little worse, but it was still better then majority of the Android players. After OnePlus 5 & 5T things really took a nose dive w.r.t software. Updates started getting delayed & were always infested with multiple bugs. They used to fix one thing & break multiple others. It was clear that they were not able to scale there software teams for multiple products line & were more interested in extracting more profits. They were still selling a lot of phones mind you but were oblivious to the issues faced by their core audience.

Later on increasing the prices & creating even more product lines didn't help at all while the competitors also started getting better in every front. I mean if you look at every interview or QnA session they had, they always had one excuse for everything, we are a small team. Now that doesn't work when you are asking for premium prices. It worked earlier when the prices were low.. people were willing to looks over small things but not at flagship prices.

I think if they had stuck with one product per release cycle, they could have improved a lot on the software front. For quite a lot of time there cameras were pretty bad. They could have improved that a lot by focusing on one phone per year. Later on they could have increased the prices & people would have been fine as long as the device was providing value. They products stopped being value for money.

OT: To all the Android vs Apple fanboys, stop being fanboys. It doesn't help anyone really. Buy the better products & everything will automatically evolve.
Absolutely, we as users, need to start punishing poor decisions by not spending on devices like we are fans who owe them something.

The very reason Oneplus stopped putting money on updates and quality control is because the market wasn't pushing manufacturers who don't provide updates. No company is stupid, they only care about profits. They will only provide updates when people stop buying them for a lack of them. Android phones will stop misusing data the day the sales drop because of privacy concerns. Apple will stop forcing users to buy new chargers when the market gives a thumbs down to their ridiculous decision. If the users still lap up the new phones because it's from Apple, everyone else will do the same.

Instead of defending companies like fans, we need to start demanding more when phones cost 50k. But nothing will change till users keep thinking 7 cameras in a phone with 108 mp are better than timely security updates.

Chrome has a software reporting tool on the desktop version that sends data for all your softwares to Google in the name of preventing malware. Still everyone uses chrome. We don't care about privacy so we don't get it. Simple.

PS. I am not against apple or Oneplus and have phones from both.

Absolutely, we as users, need to start punishing poor decisions by not spending on devices like we are fans who owe them something.

The very reason Oneplus stopped putting money on updates and quality control is because the market wasn't pushing manufacturers who don't provide updates. No company is stupid, they only care about profits. They will only provide updates when people stop buying them for a lack of them. Android phones will stop misusing data the day the sales drop because of privacy concerns. Apple will stop forcing users to buy new chargers when the market gives a thumbs down to their ridiculous decision. If the users still lap up the new phones because it's from Apple, everyone else will do the same.

Instead of defending companies like fans, we need to start demanding more when phones cost 50k. But nothing will change till users keep thinking 7 cameras in a phone with 108 mp are better than timely security updates.

Chrome has a software reporting tool on the desktop version that sends data for all your softwares to Google in the name of preventing malware. Still everyone uses chrome. We don't care about privacy so we don't get it. Simple.

PS. I am not against apple or Oneplus and have phones from both.
Well said

On a lighter note, I will just say

Boycott Chinese phone companies. 95% of all iphoness are made in china.

Well said

On a lighter note, I will just say

Boycott Chinese phone companies. 95% of all iphoness are made in china.
As much as everyone would love to do that, all products are in some capacity being made in china. There really is no way to avoid china at this point of time. What I personally try to do is to buy products from companies which are either Indian> Belonging to Other countries > Chinese in that order keeping price & quality relatively similar. Made in India is all good & dandy but one should not have to make big compromises on quality as well as prices for it.

As much as everyone would love to do that, all products are in some capacity being made in china. There really is no way to avoid china at this point of time. What I personally try to do is to buy products from companies which are either Indian> Belonging to Other countries > Chinese in that order keeping price & quality relatively similar. Made in India is all good & dandy but one should not have to make big compromises on quality as well as prices for it.
Well said

My OPO doing just fine. Just need to clear the cache if it gets slow. This was definitely a worthwhile purchase tho I had concerns of dropping 20k on a phone.

Back