What Laptop shud I go for?

IdleWild

Disciple
Hi guys i need some recommendations on the various laptops floating around the market these days.
My budget is around 35000k and right now we are looking at acer celeron computers.
What I dont understand is what exactly celeron is and how fast is celeron m 360?
Also the operating system is linux (another thing which I never understood) and wud it be okay to put windows (pirated) or will it result in conflicts?
Also is 256 RAM okay or do i nedd more?
Also wud love it if someone can recommend other brands whose OS is windows!

Hmm 35k is our misfortune and Acer's delight

Brot the Acer Aspire 3002 for 33k 2 months back. Find the review here

It has a sempron 2800+, 15" TFT XGA LCD, 256 Mb RAM and a COmbo Drive with onboard sis760gx graphics. More 256 Megs of RAM is highly recommended. 512 would be a icing on the cake.

If you can increase your budget, consider the aspire 5002 seriously. Kick A$$ features at a good price. Although acer is not high quality to last a lifetime, but it fits the bill for people like me who would only use it for not more than a lil over a year.

Yea, Windows OS is way to go, infact they were giving me a XP preloaded laptop :tongue, which i thankfully declined, seemes a fugged up demo machine for preview and free demo ..lol

Getting the travelmate with celeron or this Sempron isnt much of a difference.

I guess the battery life with celeron wod be 10 mins better ... but doesnt mind anyways, the celeron laptop crawls even in low resolutions of games but this aspire 3002 has sis760gx which i felt better :tongue, the same is the chipset used in 5002 series too just a 64 bit proccy AMD Turion in place of this sempron

Choice is urs finally

hey thanks for replying :) btw how is Compaq Presario M2002AL (EA131PC)? its also around 35k
and did u install a pirated version of windows?

Also is sempron better or celeron cos they are all greek to me.

so sourabh........u think your laptop will hardly last a yr or 2.....i thinking to get 1 which atlest last 4 years......cant afford alot..also budget is problem write now...so i m busy saving cash

i m using it as a desktop replacement for all my work and keep it online for too much tme sometimes almost 24 hrs at stretch

so i expect it to wear soon, but tht doesnt mean it wod stop working, the juice wod go a little but they dun go dead

generally its a belief that if u get a DELL or an IBM they last out so people ususally prefer them

i wont suse it for more than 2 yrs not even tht , so acer fits the bill

IdleWild said:
Also is sempron better or celeron cos they are all greek to me.

Most of the Sempron laptops these days seem to have Socket754 based Semprons (in other words, it packs quite a punch - processing wise). However battery life isnt all that great.

The Celeron Ms are surprisingly quite powerful compared to their Pentium M brethren (Pentium M's are 'THE' processors to get for a powerful yet portable laptop). Except, the Celeron M's lack the "Speedstep" feature of the Pentium M's , which helps downlock processor speed when the processing load is light thereby increasing battery life. However the battery hit shouldnt be too much, still making it a good buy :)

B careful about those reports of Celeron M being good. That is true only if the speed of that Celeron M is above 1.5 G (at least 1.6). the ones below suck. Has to do with the core used or something.
I don't know why he says that Acers don't last. All I have heard is good. As for IBM and Dell, well u have to remember that in the USA, these are better known "American" brands, while Acer is a Taiwanese brand, so that is why they prefer IBM etc. And forget what they prefer in India.

Back