What medical tests do you guys take regularly

dpandey

Adept
After a bout of bad health (high cholesterol/pre diabetes, extreme fatigue), I did a massive overhaul of my diet and lifestyle. While I am doing ok right now, I have become very careful and get my blood tested every year for important markers. The current list is

Every year:
1. Lipids (HDL, Triglycerides).
2. CRP
3. Vitamin D
4. Vitamin B12
5. Kidney and Liver function tests.

Every five years:
1. Thyroid

I was wondering if there are any more markers I should be monitoring.

Regularly - Breathalyser.

Seriously though, you do not need to make a list.
Go to any large chain hospital nearby, and pick the package suited to your age. e.g: if under 40, you may not want a prostrate exam, so the 20-40 years package will not have this specific test. They have done this homework for you already.
Side benefit: Health check done formally at a hospital qualifies for income tax deductions.

After a bout of bad health (high cholesterol/pre diabetes, extreme fatigue), I did a massive overhaul of my diet and lifestyle. While I am doing ok right now, I have become very careful and get my blood tested every year for important markers. The current list is

Every year:
1. Lipids (HDL, Triglycerides).
2. CRP
3. Vitamin D
4. Vitamin B12
5. Kidney and Liver function tests.

Every five years:
1. Thyroid

I was wondering if there are any more markers I should be monitoring.

Most of the battery of tests as in a master health check up etc would be required only once in 3 years, if you're otherwise healthy and without a significant family history.

Hemogram
Creatinine
Fasting blood sugar
Lipids
Uric acid
Liver function tests
once a year (ideally 2 yrs) for above 30 yrs should be more than enough.

In a Indian scenario seeing a reliable MD/DNB Medicine physician yearly is more useful than anything else.

If you consider costs of individual tests and consultation master health check up is VFM.

Vitamin B12 and Vitamin D itself would cost around 3k. Not required to be done regularly. Unless deficiency is diagnosed.

Thyroid, 2D ECHO, ECG, treadmill test can be done once in 5 yrs.

I do a sugar levels check, complete Lipid profile, Hemoglobin count along with my mum. Doc had recommended these tests to her every year after she had borderline high cholesterol once. She was slightly afraid of the tests so I took it with her to get her to relax. Her serum cholesterol levels were back in the normal range after a year of daily walking and oatmeal. But we have continued to take the tests every year.

Recently when my grandfather was hospitalized in Wockhardt, I saw a few brochures for these full body check-ups in different packages. Plan to go for one of those from this year.

If you had some heart related scare please do not just depend on Lipid Test. Do TMT too. Calcium blockage etc is not captured in Lipid Tests. My father developed calcium blockage even though we were closely monitoring Lipid Tests which were excellent for 6-7 years. Do TMTs or any other stress related tests after discussing with your doctor.

I am not sure if we should wait till 30 yrs of age to do these tests. Those in IT companies are used to eating out and partying regularly.

My cholesterol and uric acid levels were beyond the max permissable level. Liver Function was very bad even though I never suffered from Jaundice and used to drink very rarely.(once in 3 months maybe or even lesser)
I am overweight and so need to reduce my weight to make these markers return to normal level. :(

In a Indian scenario seeing a reliable MD/DNB Medicine physician yearly is more useful than anything else.

My personal experience is that doctors, while they are great at surgery and fixing things, are not very good when it comes to disease prevention. I guess it might have to do with the economics (or may be just incompetence. Can't say.). Two years ago, my cholesterol numbers were off the charts and the doctors asked me to start taking statins. I disregarded their advice, did my own research for diet based solutions, and have very healthy numbers now. I know quite a few people who have been given poor advice by seemingly good doctors/dietitians.

I saw a few brochures for these full body check-ups in different packages. Plan to go for one of those from this year.

I have been through the packaged checks. It takes 4-5 hours to go through the whole cycle and the neighborhood hospital doesn't do Vitamine D, B12 or Thyroid T3, T4 (they only do TSH) or CRP. The dietitian and GP sessions are useless (one fat lady asked me to reduce weight, they still follow the BMI nonsense ). Won't do it more than once in 3-4 years.

I was looking for the smallest number of tests that will alert me if I am heading towards a chronic problem.

Vitamin B12 and Vitamin D itself would cost around 3k. Not required to be done regularly.

I would say be very careful about both. Pretty much everyone in my friend circle who tested for vitamin D came out deficient. I have now started taking vitamin D supplements. If you stay indoors all day, you are deficient in D.

B12 test is important if you are a vegetarian.

If I understand correctly, the deficiency of these vitamines have long term consequences.

Last edited:
I heard stress affects the most and hence our vitamins and minerals health suffer which affects our overall body. Vitamin D is a must as 8/10 people work and stay indoors.
B12 is necessary for overall normal body functions along with Iron/Ferric.

@dpandey Even I am taking statins for my cholesterol level. But my ECG said that I have a chance of a block. So I don't know what else I can do other than take the statins!

This IT life is killing me!

My personal experience is that doctors, while they are great at surgery and fixing things, are not very good when it comes to disease prevention. I guess it might have to do with the economics (or may be just incompetence. Can't say.). Two years ago, my cholesterol numbers were off the charts and the doctors asked me to start taking statins. I disregarded their advice, did my own research for diet based solutions, and have very healthy numbers now. I know quite a few people who have been given poor advice by seemingly good doctors/dietitians.

I have been through the packaged checks. It takes 4-5 hours to go through the whole cycle and the neighborhood hospital doesn't do Vitamine D, B12 or Thyroid T3, T4 (they only do TSH) or CRP. The dietitian and GP sessions are useless (one fat lady asked me to reduce weight, they still follow the BMI nonsense ). Won't do it more than once in 3-4 years.

I was looking for the smallest number of tests that will alert me if I am heading towards a chronic problem.

I would say be very careful about both. Pretty much everyone in my friend circle who tested for vitamin D came out deficient. I have now started taking vitamin D supplements. If you stay indoors all day, you are deficient in D.

B12 test is important if you are a vegetarian.

If I understand correctly, the deficiency of these vitamines have long term consequences.

Yeah you are Right, it is the Economics of Time, it is easier to prescribe a medicine than counsel someone, Plus there are medical guidelines to be adhered to. after certain level of LDL, statins need to be prescribed unless contraindicated, they are the most researched molecule on earth. My Own Uncle (Sr Scientist in DRDO) is undergoing Bypass after seemingly good dietary control of Cholesterol. He was advised Statins after angioplasty, used his own logic (obviously I wasn't made aware of it), came back with the blockage of both the stents. I have umpteen number of examples on this (in fact 7 /10 re admissions are because of drug non compliance) , but discussing this is beyond the scope of this forum. Its your body not a CPU which you can apply a experimental fix from online research. I just take a required medical consultation whenever it is beyond my area of expertise, without fail.

Avoid 3 "I' s when dealing with doctors
I (ego) - you didn't follow his prescription, would you have adhered to his dietary/ lifestyle advice ? it would have been a waste of time counselling you , because you would not have listened until you realize it yourself. But his prescription did the required trick .
I( Internet research) - Medical science is not a absolute science, I prefer experience over so called research data. There is so much confounding data ; to understand and apply what, where requires a experience. Because of Internet; Knowledge is at your fingertips, but Wisdom still needs a hard-work. So please be careful when you are applying some internet based research onto yourself. I still consult my teachers (Luckily I have been gifted with best of them) whenever I face such a dilemma, I have umpteen number of examples where Experience beats evidence of hard core research & guidelines.

it is not CRP it is HSCRP (High Sensitivity) you are talking about. both are very different.
Check Vit D, B12 , Thyroid once in 5 yrs if not deficient. Otherwise as prescribed by your Physician. Mind you , HYPER-vitaminosis of Vitamin D is equally problematic.

@dpandey Even I am taking statins for my cholesterol level. But my ECG said that I have a chance of a block. So I don't know what else I can do other than take the statins!

This IT life is killing me!

Not just IT almost every field has become like this, we are glued to our smartphones or Computers. Lifestyle diseases have reached an epidemic proportion.

I still stand by my words
If in Doubt take Second or Third Opinion but that is THE best option. Indian doctors have a better clinical acumen than their western counterparts (it is a well known fact) , please make use of that.

Last edited:
Yearly test for STDs/HIV should definitely be there.

There's no need to pay for that too...

Just donate a bottle of blood whenever you want to get this checked. Call and check with bloodbank after 2 days. You'll save 3k easily
[emoji3][emoji3]

i have severe vit D deficiency , my level was only 3 when normal is around 20 or 30 ? i think , & i have been told that i am a hypochondriac so i wont even discuss the tests & doctors i have consulted in the last few months .

i have severe vit D deficiency , my level was only 3 when normal is around 20 or 30 ? i think , & i have been told that i am a hypochondriac so i wont even discuss the tests & doctors i have consulted in the last few months .

Seriously. Did the doctor call you a hypochondriac? You should really talk to another one who will write you a prescription. Try talking to a orthopedic. They understand it better than a GP. Boost your D to around 50.

When you are young, you can get away with many deficiencies. As I have gotten older, I have seen so many friends suffer silently because of health issues. The doctors refuse to acknowledge that there is a problem and blame it on some ghost illness like fibromalgia or stress or depression. And one day it all blows up and you end on the operating table. The doctor will then take credit for 'saving your life'.

Concern for one's health is ok.

Hello guys, i would like to add a few words,
For people who are a bit overweight or above 30 or have a family history of diabetes they should include HbA1c every 6 months and those having stressful working hours and history of smoking or drinking should check the BP every now and then. Both of these issues have now started to crop up in the younger population in 30s and can be a silent issue without much symptoms which can affect morbidity in the long run.

Back