Monitors What options do I have in 27"+ IPS monitors

pguy

Disciple
Hello guys, looking to finally update my 21" lcd monitor. I haven't been active with tech lately so don't know the options available in the IPS panel monitor world at the moment :)

The one I remember is the Dell U2711, but boy was it expensive at ~42K. Are there any other options available in the 27 or 27" IPS range that are priced similar or lesser?

Thanks

^ but it does not come with hdmi or DVI- sub port

only Mini DisplayPort connector, so we need to buy convent to Hdmi or dvi adapter separates :|

That's a steal, considering the 27" Cinema Display costs $1000 in the US from the Apple store.

Or, the 39K price is for something else. An iPhone, maybe?

The 27" Apple Cinema Display at 39k is about the lowest price I've seen on a 27" IPS display. These would be your choices without going into much more expensive Eizo, NEC displays.

27" IPS - Apple Cinema Display - Glossy - 2560x1440 - Only Display Port connection. Not an issue if you have a newer generation GPU that has a DP out. Otherwise, budget 100-150$ for an HDMI-->DP converter.

27" Dell - U2711 - Matte - 2560x1440 - Lot of connectivity options.

30" Dell - U3011 - Matte - 2560x1600 - sRGB mode. OSD and buttons. Slightly higher lag than the ZR30W for gamin.

30" HP - ZR30W - Matte - 2560x1600 - No sRGB mode and no OSD. The lack of OSD makes it a bit faster for gaming. Lower MSRP than the U3011.

whatsinaname, thanks for the detailed post. The cost of the HDMI DP converter might become a deal breaker :| Also I found the converter on amazon, but couldn't find it on ebay.in - is it even available in India?

pguy said:
whatsinaname, thanks for the detailed post. The cost of the HDMI DP converter might become a deal breaker :| Also I found the converter on amazon, but couldn't find it on ebay.in - is it even available in India?
Actually, I haven't seen the converter anywhere other than the online Apple store. it's made by Belkin. I've seen some people mention that there are other alternatives, but don't have any links.

Dell U2711 has better connectivity options if you are gonna use the display for console gaming etc. Personally I would recommend against going for the Apple if its just to save cash. The Cinema displays don't usually even have the bare essential hardware controls for making adjustments and you have to fiddle with software for even changing brightness or contrast.

^Apple products were never in your good books anyway. Why spare this display right? :p

On a side note, leaving aside the mini-Display Port connectivity part, the 27" Cinema Display scores well over the Dell U2711 in terms of the perceived PQ. Not to mention the Dell display has a matte finish due to the AG coating. There are several threads (check [H]forum) for modding this display to remove the AG coating (which ofc voids the warranty). The H-IPS panels used onboard both the displays are essentially the same. The Dell has the added AG coating. That's pretty much about it.

@OP: What exactly are the intended uses of this display?

^Why then such an expensive display? You can as well settle for the slightly inexpensive U2410 (might set you back by 27~28k with the ongoing rates) or get a 32inch full-HD LCD TV perhaps? Serves your requirements well and doesn't require a big ass GPU.

The U2711 and Cinema Displays are essentially meant for professionals who work in the video/graphics editing/rendering fields. Not that you may not be aware of this. :p

Gannu said:
Hi all...

Official apple price..
The Apple Store (India) - Apple LED Cinema Display (27" flat panel)
Dont think anywhere they may reduce 20K from MRP...

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

Gannu said:
^Why then such an expensive display? You can as well settle for the slightly inexpensive U2410 (might set you back by 27~28k with the ongoing rates) or get a 32inch full-HD LCD TV perhaps? Serves your requirements well and doesn't require a big ass GPU.

The U2711 and Cinema Displays are essentially meant for professionals who work in the video/graphics editing/rendering fields. Not that you may not be aware of this. :p

I Second this...

For browsing, at that resolution you need to pan your head a lot than the eyes...
if its windows, then imagine max mode will either give 20% effective webpage else if full window formatted, need a ruler to track the lines...
This comes from user sp2309w (2048x1152)

I use a GTX 295, so the resolution output is not an issue. Sure I am aware of the uses, but no harm in using them for great PQ. But thanks for reminding though, there are quite a few TN panel options out there as well in that size range. But with a Dell U2410 at 28-29K, I don't have as much an issue springing 40K for the 27" one. Now the concern remains whether I check out a TN Panel or head the U2711 way. But I also haven't found the 2711 readily available.

THere is no prob in opting a ACD27, if you are aware of the usage and effects...

and one more thing...
Its not retailing at 40k but 60k official...

add to the cost of GPU/COnverter...

else get a mac mini and enjoy...

My advice would be to get two 23" U2311's instead. A dual monitor setup would be a nice option instead of a 27 incher, unless you really want the high res that is. Also remember, on the high resolution, movies would be upscaled and so wont look that good. On the U2311H, since it is full HD, movies will look better

^^ Sorry I don't understand the need of getting a dual monitor setup for movies and general browsing...

Either a good quality 21.5 FHD incher is good or a 24 1920x1200 would be better...

Frankly speaking I wouldn't get a ACD27 for the mentioned purpose...
If the OP has deceided on one and needs second opinion its a different scenario.

^2 smaller displays occupy a hell lot of real estate than one big display. I'd still vouch for the U2311 or the U2410 over the U2711. Rather than getting a crappy TN panel. Benq and Samsung has 26inch TN panels - looks medicore at best. Avoid.

@tmkn: thanks for the heads-up. So it does appear that the pricing was some sort of a direct conversion from the US pricing.

Dual monitor setups aren't necessary for me, so I'd drop that idea. At 60K, no Apple for me. Any opinions on U2311 or the U2410?

Back