What Paper Copy / eMagazines do you read?

raksrules

Elite
Today, with access to information in palm of our hands, many of us probably have left reading of magazines. Back in the days, when internet was slow, people like me would remember subscribing to magazines like Chip India and Digit with the CD / DVD that would come with it. It cost a whooping Rs. 100 more than 10 years back and I would buy the magazine from newspaper stand on railway station. I still remember the wait to see whether the magazine came or not. And since I never subscribed to Chip / Digit, I would just see the cover and CD and would then decide whether to spend the money. I was literally judging magazine by its cover.

But seems the habit is coming again aided by apps like Magzter which provide really great experience of reading magazines through tablets and iPads. Or you may be sourcing your magazines through alternate sources. Whatever be the case, what Paper copy / eMagazines you read today? Try to separate out by category if possible so it makes it easier for us to know what kind of content to expect in the magazine.

Technology
  • T3 India, T3 <any other country>
  • Wired
  • Apple Magazine
  • PC Quest
  • Stuff UK
  • Macworld (recently got a macbook so find this nice for now)
  • PC Pro
  • Tech Life
  • Computer Active
  • PC World
  • Android Advisor
  • PC Magazine
  • <Anything else that looks interesting from cover>

Entertainment
  • Filmfare (Not a film fan, I just read for timepass and have never read before so curious what it has), Startdust for same reason.
  • TV Guide (US) - Since we all see TV shows so much, and most are from US, I like to read this magazine.
  • Playboy, Hustler - Rarely see them but only to actually see what kind of articles they have, not for the n*de pics, but they are there anyways so.... Always curious what is actual content of these magazines.

Others
  • Blocks-Lego Magazine, just read for timepass.
  • Autocar India

List down your so it may help others discover new magazines to read. I use my iPad 8th Gen and due to its Non-Widescreen form factor, it is awesome for reading magazines. I do have amazon Fire HD 10 but experience is not so great, one due to it being a budget tablet with slow and slugging UI. But yes, if you have a good android tablet, experience will be better.

I am subscribed to magzter but not all magazines mentioned above are available on Magzter. I have access to a Library Card of a US Library through a friend so I use Libby app to access books and magazines, especially ones not available on Magzter due to geoblocking. Also there are *ahem* websites where the same can be obtained.

I left mag world 15yrs ago.. then it was pc world, digit etc. and auto drive.
Now no time even look at daily newspapers yet somehow spare 10mins..

I was also one of those people who used to buy from stands regularly back then.
Later started subscriptions for Digit/Chip/Autocar/Overdrive/T3 India.

For the next 10 years, I've literally filled my cupboards with magazines to the point where I had to stop subscriptions.
I moved out later for studies and my parents insisted I get rid of the truckload of magazines, which I had to sell in weight.
Was a painful experience, Yes.
But at least I had soft copies of those IT mags, thanks to the anniversary edition CDs with archived pdf copies.

Following is how my magazine shelf looked back in the heyday, somewhere between 2005-08.
This held the latest mags, while I had to move the old ones to storage.
It was a fun monthly routine to sort/re-arrange the shelf, which skimming through old articles.

458272_10150968063413954_2098171609_o.jpg

Was purchasing only the anniversary editions for a while, but with the advent of various blogs/forums, the content on the magazines wasn't interesting anymore.
Even the content reflected the lack of enthusiasm in writing of the past. The reviews weren't as exhaustive as before and I moved on.

Later, I took a Magzter gold subscription for a couple of years, but never read a single magazine.
Looked at just the covers and downloaded a few for offline mags, but again never read them actually.

Thanks to free Jio Mags which includes most of the popular magazines, I still read a few at random, but not with the same enthusiasm as before.

Regarding the magazine, you've covered most of the ones I read as well.
To add a few to the list.

• OverDrive India.
  • Bike India.
  • Car India
  • MCN UK
  • Computer Shopper.
  • Maximum PC.
  • Smart Photography.

Back